Why do people troll forums

Butch

I love this forum ( thanks Ian )

It always amazes me why people TROLL good forums like this and spoil it for us all !

Is it insecurity , lack of social interaction or should we feel sorry that they have nothing better to do.

What do you think ?

cheer's Butch

An attempt to convince themselves that they aren't as powerless as they know they are. 

Some would suggest it is related to appendage size.

Either way it closely related to impotence - physically, emotionally or intellectually.

This forum has a band of dedicated moderators who will react speedily to kill off trolls. All you have to do is report the post containing trolling and the bricks will drop. There are, however, very many threads so moderators might miss an inappropriate post. It's up to all members to do their bit to report anything such as trolling, abuse, or indecency, that diminishes the standards of the forum.

Why do people troll? Probably for the same reason they draw (edited..

genitalia...mod) on toilet walls.

• Informative 1

Now there's a G&S that's still topical.

Princess Ida; or, Castle Adamant is a comic opera with music by Arthur Sullivan and libretto by W. S. Gilbert. The opera satirizes feminismwomen's education and Darwinian evolution, which were controversial topics in conservative Victorian England. The piece concerns a princess who founds a women's university and teaches that women are superior to men and should rule in their stead. The prince to whom she had been married in infancy sneaks into the university, together with two friends, with the aim of collecting his bride. They disguise themselves as women students, but are discovered, and all soon face a literal war between the sexes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Ida

While we're on the subject .....

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,

I've got a little list - I've got a little list,

Of societies offenders who we wish were not around,

And who never would be missed,

Who never would be missed!

To start with, trolls in forums would be first to get the chop,

They continually aggravate, with their drivel that runs nonstop,

They target some individuals with constant spiteful diatribe,

And then claim that other forum users hunt them, to proscribe!

I’ve got them on the list - I’ve got them on the list;

And they'll none of 'em be missed – you know they’ll not be missed.

The trolls are nasty and inflammatory in all their words displayed,

They reckon they know all the answers, making everyone dismayed,

It makes you wonder just what it is, that makes a troll behave,

So badly in the internet forums, where they seek the attention that they crave,

But I’ve got them on the list - I’ve got them on the list;

What drives them? Is it Aspergers or Autism, or another unknown malaise?

They snipe and needle endlessly, demanding that their words be praised,

Sometimes I begin to wonder whether it's because they needlessly imbibe,

And perhaps they don't belong amongst us, they come from another tribe!

But I’ve got them on the list - I’ve got them on the list;

Etc, etc .......

Apologies to G&S and Ko-Ko .....

I wonder how many of us have been to a G&S opera? I was a "gentleman of Japan' in a production once. (believe it or not) Great and topical satire (at the time) and still with some relevence. Nev

• Like 1

With cat like tread, upon this prey I steal. Silence dread.......

Was in Pirates of Penzance as a kid. And also did a play on a local colourful identity (Goulburn) for  a festival. Got to hold and act with his real gun, I was 10 and played Ben Hall.

Not exactly safety first. Thing was very heavy as many a old gun is. But at least I was the only person in cooee with a gun, so felt safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trolls are people who are either volunteers, or paid to divide by spreading lies, or by supporting false information.    Some are malicious, and others are just gullible.   Some of them are very subtle and difficult to define as a troll, but there are ways to identify them.  Deciding whether they're volunteers who actually believe the lies or false information they're spreading, or paid to do so is a little more difficult, but not impossible.

The ignore function is the best way to deal with trolls. They crave attention apparently, so without that they just fade away. Even if they don't, then at least I don't have to listen to them ?

• Agree 2

I wondered what the definition of Trolls was, but Manwell has enlightened me. Priests or other religious people?

Ahh! I was reminded of the opening lyrics of the title track of th album "Destroy rock and roll" by Mylo. Definitely a religious tone in there

I wondered what the definition of Trolls was

Actually, Yenn, the term doesn't seem to refer to the  being of varying size, now especially a grotesque humanoid creature living in caves or hills or under bridges. [from early 17th c.]  from the Norwegian or Swedish troll or Danish trold, from Old Norse trǫll (“witch, mage, conjurer”).

It seems to stem from the verb meaning to draw someone or something out, to entice, to lure as if with trailing bait. [from the 1500s] This concept of luring someone into doing something now has taken on the meaning of to post inflammatory material so as to attempt to lure others into combative argument for purposes of personal entertainment and/or gratuitous disruption, especially in an online community or discussion [from late 20th c.] 

So, to continue the fishing analogy, if you react to an inflammatory post, you are rising to the bait.

(There's that word, inflammatory, again)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

because it can on occasion be Hilarious.

another forum I'm on has users regularly creating false accounts to ask silly questions or raise arguments.

It often brings great amusement to all involved,