E-Props ...who has first hand experience with these

eightyknots

Here's how an undercarriage is designed: there is a plane mass and descent speed, which gives a certain kinetic energy which must be absorbed by deformations ( tyres and u/c bits)...

!/2MVsquared = av.force times deformation.

That is, energy of landing /amount of deformation built in = forces in u/c.

There is ( was ) no requirement for damping in JAR22 or whatever it is called these days, but Nev is correct to say that damping makes an easier plane to land.  Shock absorbers do the damping in a road car. The Jabiru, for one, has no real built-in damping. The flexing of the legs and the squashing of the tyres provide the deformation needed.

Jabirus were tested by loading them up to max weight with bags of stuff and then dropping them a metre onto a greased floor.Then the height of the plane was re-measured to see if there was any change. If the plane had failed this test, Rod Stiff would have lost his house.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 21/09/2021 at 11:26 PM, Kyle Communications said:

There is a couple in NZ now Hank. One is flying the other about to. The one who is flying with it is loving it. Much better than the orginal

What kind of aircraft?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Kyle, Any Just Aircraft Highlanders using the E-Props in Australia?  In talking with E-Props, they've told me there are six Highlanders with E-props, but didn't say where.  Like the OP, I'm just looking for first hand knowledge.  We've just mounted our Rotax on the airframe, so we've got time to decide.

52 minutes ago, mhcrowder said:

Kyle, Any Just Aircraft Highlanders using the E-Props in Australia?  In talking with E-Props, they've told me there are six Highlanders with E-props, but didn't say where.  Like the OP, I'm just looking for first hand knowledge.  We've just mounted our Rotax on the airframe, so we've got time to decide.

Yes a guy in WA has one...He loves it

I lost all my emails on this computer for some reason back to march 2020  I will email him .. I am not sure if he is on this forum

Mark

• Helpful 1

Kyle, you may have said this earlier, but can an e-prop be legally fitted to an LSA Foxbat? They come with Kiev props which are likely to be unavailable for a while.

Edited by pmccarthy

• 2 weeks later...

Yes He is very happy with it..even though he has not set it up as he should have. I have urged him to set it up as per factory instructions and he said he will when he gets some time. He has set the prop at 5800 WOT..this is not the way to set the prop. You set it up to 5500 WOT. The reason is that it is NOT a CSU it is a fixed pitch ground adjustable so its performance curve is very different to a IFA. For the same cruise RPM he should be 5 to 8 kts faster

"Hi Mark The Eprop is performing really well on my Highlander, I’m very happy with my decision. I’ve set the pitch fine to give max hp on takeoff and climb. Takeoff roll is noticeably shorter and climb is better by 200fpm better than my old warp drive, cruise is similar seeing 85kts at 5300. The best thing is the 5kg weight saving and smooth running it gives. Rotax gearbox should last forever."

• Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted eprop onto the Rotax 912 ULS ready to torque and fly tomorrow all going well, rain to stay away.  Needed to extract the prop lugs and used a 'C' clamp first then a sash clamp was best.  

Eprop 1.jpg

eprop 2.jpg

drive lug extraction c clamp.jpg

drive lug extraction.jpg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 3

The alignment was off with the c clamp. These things are the difference between someone who struggles and another who makes it seem so simple in sport or tyre changing. Not have a go at you. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

The alignment was off with the c clamp. These things are the difference between someone who struggles and another who makes it seem so simple in sport or tyre changing. Not have a go at you. 

All good T88; yep c clamp kept sliding off square.  Was glad I took the sash clamp.  The ring spanner end worked but an appropriate length of steel tube would be best to allow the exit of the lug.  The eprop has epoxy lumps that pull into the prop flange so the prop lugs aren't required. Cheers.

• Like 1

Mike..tie the aircraft down and set your pitch for 5500 wide open throttle on the ground. This is a good starting point. The ultimate aim is to get 5500rpm WOT in the air straight and level. Setting it like that on the ground will get you fairly close

• Informative 1

Also make sure no more that 0.3 deg between any blades lower is better of course

Just be aware to that dont jam the trottle on fast the prop tips can cavitate a little...just push it on firmly..also be aware that on landing you will not slow as fast as there isnt a huge paddle like before. Some do slightly adjust their landing approach but its no drama just a little different. I am keen to see your numbers at your std cruise rpm with it. Most get 5 kts increase some more just depends on the type of aircraft

29 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

Also make sure no more that 0.3 deg between any blades lower is better of course

Just be aware to that dont jam the trottle on fast the prop tips can cavitate a little...just push it on firmly..also be aware that on landing you will not slow as fast as there isnt a huge paddle like before. Some do slightly adjust their landing approach but its no drama just a little different. I am keen to see your numbers at your std cruise rpm with it. Most get 5 kts increase some more just depends on the type of aircraft

Thanks Mark.  Agree,  within 0.1 at present.  Also use the laser dot to verify the pitch comparison between the blades.  Also I take 4 secs at least to bring on power at take , off and go arounds etc.  My DUC prop was same re cavitation, their operation advice says not to jam onto full throttle quickly.  I'm sure both DUC and E-Prop use similar tricky resins in the blade manufacturing.  Thanks for heads up on landing roll.  I'll advise my experience and most likely won't have too much info tomorrow as have to do some work at a house.  And there is a heap of wind and rain coming from Wednesday; hence doing things first up in morning. Appreciate your information and advice.

Edited by Blueadventures