2 1/4" panel mount radio

Apologies if I got the wrong measurement. I'm inching ever so slowly towards getting a radio for my kit build. I was interested in the Trig 91 at one stage but found it has a head and base unit type construction where by you have a loom with a kajillion wires in it connection the two. I'm pretty sure I found some other brands that were just one unit because i remember making, and still have a cardboard mock-up to make sure it would fit behind the instrument panel 

What brands/models fit what I'm after and are there any that are not great quality?

Some people like them some loath them. 

microair radios. Fits in 57mm 2 1/4” hole and only one fiddle connector to either make up or buy made up and wire in.  

I personally like them.  I’ve had them for coming up 15 years and one had one problem which was fixed quickly under warranty. 

3 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Apologies if I got the wrong measurement. I'm inching ever so slowly towards getting a radio for my kit build. I was interested in the Trig 91 at one stage but found it has a head and base unit type construction where by you have a loom with a kajillion wires in it connection the two. I'm pretty sure I found some other brands that were just one unit because i remember making, and still have a cardboard mock-up to make sure it would fit behind the instrument panel 

What brands/models fit what I'm after and are there any that are not great quality?

If you were to get a trig and you bundle the wire loom, I’ll crimp the subD connectors for you.  I have a 4 way crimp tool and insert tool on the way from USA. When I did mine I soldered the connectors and if the solder joints every fail I was going to buy a crimp tool. I did try to find someone who would crimp the connectors to my loom and found no one.  Fitting an AUX fm radio so decided to by the tool.  Nice radio and comfortable the use dials and buttons. Cheers.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Helpful 1

Trig make good gear. I had a Trig transponder in my previous plane. If you're determined to have a radio that size, or if that is all the panel space you have, then I'd go for the Trig.
It may have a kajillion wires, but you only have to hook it up once.
I had a microair in a trike. It worked OK for me, but I personally know a few people who had weird problems with them.
My own preference is for a standard 6” tray sized radio. They are a lot easier to work with, especially in turbulence.

• Like 1

if you dont have the crimp bits for DB connectors, soldering to the back of the DB15 is OK if you make a backshell mold out of silicone. IE completely pot the rear of the DB25 (solder joints and wire to at least 1" behind in a neutral cure silicone so to complete isolate from any bending/vibration.

Edited by RFguy

It's a pity Microair no longer produce their radios. I had problems initially but they were related to installation & wiring & not the radio. The ability to monitor 2 frequencies simultaneously and the compact size with light weight and built in intercom made them ideal for light aircraft. Mine is still going well 7 years on.

Not very helpful - I am very impressed/satisfied with my XCom - you might find a preloved one for sale.

If you do, make sure it is well earthed/grounded and somewhere where there is a reasonable air space around it, for cooling

Have a look at the classifieds at www.seglflug.de. As Europe has abandoned 25kHz spacing there are many good radios coming out of gliders. I have installed 2 Becker 4201 at a cost of $3-400 each. They fit in a 21/4 hole.

• Informative 2

question- what is the limit in diimension  behind the panel for the 57mm hole ? is there a stacking distance center to centre ?

The microair transponder is 60mm square behind the panel.  how big can I go ?

later this year I will make some aviation radios for myself- The radios I make are 8 channel simultaneously (TX and RX)  but of course  I only have one mouth so maybe 4 RX, 1 TX .
The 2.25 " (57mm) hole is hard.  My smallest PCB radio is currently is 73mm wide.   

I thought of having an upgrade radio and had an adaptor on the rear to emulate various other radio looms for plug and play replacement.

-glen

2 hours ago, Jim McDowall said:

Have a look at the classifieds at www.seglflug.de. As Europe has abandoned 25kHz spacing there are many good radios coming out of gliders. I have installed 2 Becker 4201 at a cost of $3-400 each. They fit in a 21/4 hole.

I have XCom, works fine.

But Becker are good gear and the quote above would definitely be worth following up!

On 14/03/2021 at 12:28 PM, Jim McDowall said:

That was the other thing I meant to ask. This 25khz spacing thing. Did I read somewhere that the spacing is changing in Australia? What should I be looking for to make sure it is appropriate for us?

Also, that link doesn't work. I assume you mean segelflug.de?

Edited by danny_galaga

The spacing started at 200khz & went to 100khz in 1947, 50khz in 1954 & then to 25khz in 1972 & in 1990 extra bandwidth was added to provide 760 useable channels. At this stage only Europe has gone to 8.33 khz spacing due to congestion. There are no plans to do this here AFAIK as there is no congestion.

• Informative 1

If frequencies do not change, then 8.33 kHz AM radios are 99% compatible with 25kHz spacing AM radios.

(except that  there are only 25kHz steps rather than 8.33kHz steps- so you wouldnt be able to properly tune if the channel falls in between the 25kHz trip (0, 8.33, 16.66, 25kHz) .

(off topic rant) forced upgrade- so typically european. No regard for the cost to the user . Its why europe can rarely be competitive with the rest of the world .... and just exists on borrowings, subsidies and chinese money.  Only the germans and norwegians keep them afloat.

Edited by RFguy

On 16/03/2021 at 2:39 PM, derekliston said:

I have two Flightline 760s with which I am happy so far, around four years!

hu Derek - o argument but out of interest - why two radios?

Does this mean you have one channel active and are listening out on three?

As per Kyle Communications comment, it doesn’t scan between two channels, but I did it that way for a couple of reasons, 1) I got a good deal on the pair from Jabiru 2) When I was building I was close to Amberley airspace so it gave me redundancy (Ok, 3 reasons!!) 3) It does let me monitor two frequencies.

I did a repair on a mates Flightline 760...I thought they were just pretty crappy cheap radios but actually they are not too bad at all. Especially for the money..just it is single frequency with a channel scan not a dual watch. Given they are about AU$1000 thats half the price really of most others. It beats having a HH in the cockpit..they are never successfull with cables and coaxes hanging from them. A wired in unit is by far better...They are certainly better than the Microair POS

2 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

I did a repair on a mates Flightline 760...I thought they were just pretty crappy cheap radios but actually they are not too bad at all. Especially for the money..just it is single frequency with a channel scan not a dual watch. Given they are about AU$1000 thats half the price really of most others. It beats having a HH in the cockpit..they are never successfull with cables and coaxes hanging from them. A wired in unit is by far better...They are certainly better than the Microair POS

I haven’t had a problem with them!

• Agree 1

Flightline 760A looks like a choice for me, I will leave the mounted hand held in and then I have 2 radios, but need 2 antennas.

I guess it may be handy IF one radio goes down, I can use the second one.  The 760A is now about $1495 on Sky Shop, not sure IF that includes wiring harness?

https://www.skyshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=2391