Move over Van....The Jetson has arrived

KRviator

This popped up on my YT feed today. Looks like it's only been out a few days, but depending on the range, I think I'd prefer one of these to an RV-10...😃

$92,000USD but only 20 minutes flight time at this stage, max speed 100km/hr so only 30km range, and a max 95Kg pilot weight.

Still, it looks seriously cool...

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Apparently it has a BRS in case you lose more than 1 motor, but what the un-recoverable zone for that BRS would be remains to be seen. As you've (I think?) highlighted @Thruster8830' is more than enough to kill you, and I would guess the BRS won't save you below 500', so how quickly you can get out of that zone is the question.

I've been thinking...88Kw power draw, 20 minutes max endurance is near enough to 30kW/H of battery capacity. For a full charge, that's around $7.50 in electricity at 25c/kwh so it's not that economical compared to something like a moped or even a larger sports bike that could do that 30km on a couple litres of fuel and half the price. 

I bet it sounds like a hornets nest on steroids, too, 8 x small diameter props at high RPM can't be too efficient. The NIMBY's are going to love it!

Just like all the other "revolutionary flying machine" ideas - plenty of glitzy imaging in the video, not backed up by any useful performance, nor any indication of how this thing fits into current aviation regulations. 

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

How long to get bored with it. 2 or 3 days?  Noisy inefficient gadget.. You'd take off and land in dust cloud most times. .  Nev

Unlike a chopper/light aircraft, it did not look like it would "hop" over that tree lien the stock went trough.

Noisy, inefficient and limited yes however remember that the wright flyer only went 36m. As a kit you might be able to squeeze this into an experimental category. Ducted fans/bigger props could probably significantly increase it's efficiency so it might be able to lift Clive Palmer or blow its range out to 50km. If I lived in Sydney or Melbourne I'd be more interested. For instance, working at Macquarie Bank HQ, I could live on the Northern beaches and get to work in 10 minutes.  At least until the neighbours complained about the giant hornets or a storm hit. With ADSB and a single guidance computer with autopilot you could have a 1000 of these in the sky safely.

• Agree 1