Licence to kill

kaz3g

Australian Story, ABC TV Monday night is apparently an exposé on the activities of Barry Hempel. The bit of the trailer I just saw suggests there will be a lot of discomfort for Authorities in the ensuing weeks.

Kaz

Guest Maj Millard

Barry Hemple is a classic case of someone who lived for aviation in all forms , but who the Authorities loved to annoy. His respect for them was very much the same.

One year at Old Station he jumped in his Yak at sunset, and performed a totally mesmerising aerobatic routine that impressed all who witnessed it. He had heaps of smoke on, and a single bright strobe on the belly would alluminate the smoke as it flashed each time. That's the way I remember Barry Hemple, as a truly magnificent pilot.........No doubt things changed big time for him after he got hit badly with a hangar door that the wind had got hold of, and suffered bad head injuries...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

If this show is as negative as it sounds, it would remind me of one that the biggest news network in the States did, in the late Eighties. They sent a very attractive female reporter to all the big UL shows including Oshkosh, to supposedly "highlight the sport ".....

What eventuated was a show called "Flying...or Dying ?" ...It was Aired Nationally in prime time, and viewed by millions across the US. Main footage was of a fellow reporter who had taken off in a Ptyradactyl UL without strapping himself in, had suddenly lost control of the aircraft at a low altitude, and had fallen spectacularly to his death in front of the rolling cameras...great stuff, and the ratings went through the roof !!......beware the 'good' reporters bearing nice gifts ......It took the sport several years to again recover from that one !................Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The ABC airing this story now could be very bad timing for RAAus if it ends up stirring up more bad press for sport aviation, may result in a stronger push from CASA to get faster action to fix the problems or else .....

Barry Hemple is a classic case of someone who lived for aviation in all forms , but who the Authorities loved to annoy. His respect for them was very much the same.One year at Old Station he jumped in his Yak at sunset, and performed a totally mesmerising aerobatic routine that impressed all who witnessed it. He had heaps of smoke on, and a single bright strobe on the belly would alluminate the smoke as it flashed each time. That's the way I remember Barry Hemple, as a truly magnificent pilot.........No doubt things changed big time for him after he got hit badly with a hangar door that the wind had got hold of, and suffered bad head injuries...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj- this year must've been DeJaVue then......

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
Maj- this year must've been DeJaVue then......

Well Ballpoint, I see the point you make , however I don't see a lot of similarity to the past years fatalities and your average year circa 1980s. Our past years numbers suggested at 10, includes at least two obvious physical incapacitations leading to crashes and death ...that leaves eight. We don't know the causes of any of those others, and maybe never will, other that the one where two were killed doing a buzz job and striking the power line. I don't personally see last years numbers as being abnormally high for the level of activity we conduct in this country in a years flying.

In the 80s, at least in California where I was flying ULs at the time, the high rate of fatalities was caused by mainly the following factors. 1.. Many inexperienced pilots buying aircraft and attempting to teach themselves to fly. 2..Many available aircraft at the time being under-developed, and having unsafe inherent faults. 3..Engines at the time having single ign systems, and still generally being easy to overheat and generally unreliable. 4..Lack of suitable 2-seat trainers, plus suitable qualified and available instructors.

I'm sure you'll agree, we have now eliminated most, if not all of those earlier problems in our sport....Our current toll is either the normally expected number for our level of activity, or from causes that have been with us since the birth of aviation IE: pilot related failings......These can, and should be addressed..................Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Didn't impress me, in fact he nearly killed me and that was before the hit on the head. Saw an aeroplane do aerobatics etc some years back and I commented on the stupidity of the pilot then some-one told me it was Hempel.

Guest Maj Millard

Sorry Ballpoint, my prev post was because I totally misunderstood your original intent and question. No this years similar aeros was no déjà vue even though it was a good show. Barry's display was far, far, better and way more masterfull in past years...........cheers Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

"No worries mate, you got two birds with one stone! Like my mate one nut did a few years back..". 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Quite clever - (and I just about missed it).

• Like 1

Major, I'd suggest you read the very long thread of pprune from people who knew him well.

It's by far the most appalling story I've ever read about aviation.

Just about all the safety checks and balances failed, either through negligence of authorities or him outsmarting them over and over again.

When you see what his condition was after the hangar door accident, there's no doubt as to what should have been done.

You should also read the Senate Inquiry which has been going on.

I don't doubt this has made CASA step up their activity because this case alone virtually questions whether CASA is an appropriate authority to manage aviation.

It's spine chilling stuff.

And no, by reasonable comparison with other dangerous sports we are way ave where we should be, which is maybe 1.

I'll put it another way then. If you decide to watch the show, and you are gobsmacked again and again and again there's a place you can look to verify what you've just been told.

If the partner is suing doctors it almost seems a final admission that CASA had done their duty to their utmost.

Guest Maj Millard

Firstly one must view a TV 'exposé' show with an open mind, after all they are chasing ratings ..pure and simple. The man in question is long gone, and unable to stand up and defend any allegations, so it's going to be a one-sided affair, for sure.

Secondly we are rapidly becoming a very litigious society so it is just a normal expectation now, that where an accidental death is concerned, you can be almost guaranteed the lawsuits are going to fly. Nothing out of the ordinary there...........Please re-read my post 3 if you wish.......If CASA had been a bit friendlier towards the man, and helped instead of hindered his activities, then things may have been different for all concerned. I'm not at all surprised that he became a thorn in their side,. In my experience they have very little class or quality, one on one ability, in dealing with people period, it's really their way or the hiway......CASA has no mandate in this country to foster goodwill toward the aviation community that pays their wages. They really don't care wether you remain in the air, or firmly parked on the ground........Doctors by the way have very deep pockets, and may..I said may..be easier to sue than CASA, although these days you can also take CASA to court also.......Maj......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

You would be very foolish to sue CASA. They have very deep pockets an can be very determined. When you beat them they dump another charge on you. It's not their money they spend.. It's taxpayers.. Nev

• Haha 1

It's going to be interesting to see if the program that is televised on Monday about Barry Hempels accident is balanced or 1 sided as the partner of the passenger who was unfortunatley killed in the accident with Barry Hempel is now suing the medicos who last passed Barry as being medically fit to fly.

The issues that have to be addressed now are as follows:

1. As for as I am aware the Plane has not been recovered from the ocean bed, ( if someone knows better I would be greatful to be informed), therefore was there some mechanical failure that caused the plane to fail & crash out of control?

2. Could the passenger have accidentally manipulated with the controls while the plane was doing acrobatics & placed it out of control before Barry was able to recover from the unusual attitude?

Barry was a very knowledgeable instructor who imparted the very best aviation knowledge to all his students. He may not have been the perfect type of person that the authorities demand of today, as the authorities worldwide are attempting to create a " PERFECT WORLD" & as long as my rear end points to the ground this will never occurr.

Show me the person who says that he or she is PERFECT & I'll show you an instant liar.

Barry use to teach his aviation students the 3 basic principles of flying as follows:

1. Aviate

2. Navigate

3. Mast---ate

John, there is a basic moral of society that needs to followed and for the bulk of us that means self discipline. If you're told by an authority not to do something then you just don't do it or society breaks down, we must be self governing. Indeed it is that self discipline that makes us civilised.

Hemple broke our societies rules and a man is dead and just because he was some sort of legendary flyer doesn't excuse that for a second nor should he be worshipped for being a rebel.

• Agree 2

The ABC scandal sheet "Australian Story" has recently featured a famous radio personality. Their view presented was at variance to the views of a number of others who may have worked with this person. Don't believe media claims of "factual", "unbiased", "Fair and balanced"...etc. I don't. Don

One year at Old Station he jumped in his Yak at sunset, and performed a totally mesmerising aerobatic routine that impressed all who witnessed it. He had heaps of smoke on, and a single bright strobe on the belly would alluminate the smoke as it flashed each time. That's the way I remember Barry Hemple, as a truly magnificent pilot.......

I was there that year Maj. Was unbelievable. I recall fireworks on the wings aswel??

I'll put it another way then. If you decide to watch the show, and you are gobsmacked again and again and again there's a place you can look to verify what you've just been told.If the partner is suing doctors it almost seems a final admission that CASA had done their duty to their utmost.

They really can't blame casa if the doctors don't do the right thing I think the doctors need to be reeducated.

Every-one-seems-to-have-forgotten--------BARRY-died-in-this-crash-too,,,,,,Whatever-the-cause-TWO-people-died-doing-what-they-wanted-to-do-knowing-the-risks-of-accident-as-in-all-aviation-is-high,and-knew-that-before-they-climbed-in-that-AIRCRAFT----so-how-about-just-respecting-a-person-and-lay-off,,,,,,,and-if-you-fly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DO-you-check-your-every-single-concieveable-risk-facter-and-tic-it-off-the-phone-book-size-checkflight-list-----------------

• Like 1