RAAus Executive Resignations

Admin

Speaking as a member, I am more than just concerned. I am very frustrated to see all this continued poor behaviour by the very people who are claiming to be the most motivated to act in our best interests. I feel so very disempowered (if there is such a word). Any attempts that I have made to ask board members has only added to my frustration and anger because I can only get dismissive (if any at all) response from some board members, and from those board members who are trying to get us on track I get echoes of my own frustration because they are also unable to get communication, or fair debate within the board itself. Thankfully there are a few individuals who have been open with the membership but even they are not keeping us fully informed. I would be happier if I got regular updates even when they are only telling me that 'issue this or that' has made no progress due to...... whatever. Even a quick list of dot points would help. The registration update is the first good step in the right direction, but even that doesn't tell me what the longest awaiting renewal is. What about progress updates on other things such as the Member and aircraft database? It is a vital tool to reduce rework (and therefore administration costs) in the office.

• Agree 5

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Is there any chance to get a simple overview for the broad reasons that have been given (or are understood to exist) for the resignation of the entire executive? I understand of course that there are a number of issues that have caused dissatisfaction in the membership of the executive, but I have no understanding of what has driven the high turnover in the executive of late. My information sources consist of the Sport Pilot magazine and the RAAus website, which are not exactly overflowing with details.

While there is plenty of discussion on this forum, distilling this information from various opinions is not necessarily an easy task, and there seems to be a number of people that are of the view that they have more or better information than others. And yes, I know I am able to make my own inquiries and speak directly to the mouths of horses, but I was hoping to leverage on some of the knowledge of the fine members of this forum!

• Caution 2

God never meant humans to fly. Thats why he invented CASA and the RAAus

If you care to read the recent threads, I pointed out a perfect opportunity, with you specifically in mind, to make use of the SMS development to set safety layers of aircraft groups, which could lead to your double whippersnipper balloon getting back in the air, but you'll have to read for a while.

Guest ozzie

I did pick up on that.

And how long do you think it will be before the RAAus will be capable of operating as a functional unit to handle real world sheeet? Whatever is going down now is probably more finger in dyke needed as a quick dummy suck for CASA.

Pretty much over it all.

I get a sense that things are on the up. The allocation of resources to make the cultural changes will be the next challenge for the board. Change in itself can be difficult enough but when there is a price tag attached, even more so. Lets hope the board has the confidence to commit. RAAus would appear to have the cash reserves to make it happen.

Pete

• Agree 1

Kussy my best guess would be a small number of very vocal whiners and agitators. A couple of these even got voted into office some time back and turned out to be duds, they promptly bailed out a few months after the election achieving nothing but wasting everyone's time. Others opinions will differ of course, especially the vocalists! gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

God moves in mysterious ways...Kaz

And RAAus also moves in mysterious ways...

But not in very god-like ways!

043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif Gnarly Gnu, your comments of "A couple of these even got voted into office some time back and turned out to be duds, they promptly bailed out a few months after the election achieving nothing but wasting everyone's time. Others opinions will differ of course, especially the vocalists! gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif".

From what have seen over a long time in RAA is people putting their hands up to assist the board and or go on the board. Your idea of some getting there then "bailing out" would seem to be a little over the top, especially in one case last year when the President sent a personal email to all board members telling them they had no insurance protection for board members and said he would understand if they resigned.

Would you stay there on the board if you business , property and all assets were at risk through mismanagement of the RAA affairs beyond your control.

Will you take the can for others mistakes and inabilities to good governance?

• Like 3

Guest Andys@coffs

When he wrote that he was looking forward a few hours. Events overtook and the forecast lack of coverage was covered by a brokers cover note...i think i recall..... But its certainly another example of RAAus surviving more by luck at 23:59:59 when those in the know were thinking "game over"

Andy

Andy that's often routine in the corporate world and often it's the clock that spurs the decision and what has happened the last two times is an indication of commentators who lacked corporate experience more than anything else.

I've lived with last minititis all my career, on one occasion getting a $19 million tender in by 2 minutes. On another occasion an employee asked me on a Friday to remind him on the Monday that he had to sign and submit the application for the Permit for the next 12 months vehicle imports, worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Caution 1

Andy that's often routine in the corporate world and often it's the clock that spurs the decision and what has happened the last two times is an indication of commentators who lacked corporate experience more than anything else.I've lived with last minititis all my career, on one occasion getting a $19 million tender in by 2 minutes. On another occasion an employee asked me on a Friday to remind him on the Monday that he had to sign and submit the application for the Permit for the next 12 months vehicle imports, worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I agree Tubb, and it has always been a part of my business life too.

Nothing wrong with that when it is being managed and handled by focussed professionals.

But a major issue when handled by volunteers some of whom are well meaning but inexperienced amateurs operating in a committee of 13, some of which only check their emails every week or so, and some of whom demand a week or 2 to indicate a decision on a pressing issue.

Regards Geoff

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

New Executive Announced

July 9, 2013 | Mark Clayton

The following Executive appointments have been confirmed:

President: Rodney Birrell

Treasurer: Jim Tatlock

Secretary: Paul Middleton

Election Statements were submitted by the nominees prior to voting, in accord with Resolution 08/52 (September 2008). These can be viewed within the Member’s portal.

Mark Clayton

Public Officer

Guest Maj Millard
Isn't it a bit of a mockery when the Secretary resigns and then immediately gets re-elected 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

No it's not Ian. He moved aside voluntarily to allow the system to work. Then has been duly, and democratically re-elected, I don't see how you can be unhappy with that, after all, isn't that what we have been seeking ?...a system that works as it should ?...I'm sure Paul with his experience will make a great Secretary............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

And congratulations to Rod and Jim for filling the President and Treasurer positions. Hopefully now we can move foward without all the negativity that's been evident lately, and continue to make RAA a better, and more successfull organisation.......Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif

I think the problem in the recent (and perhaps more distant) past has been the board not working together, so any election of office holders is a plus. That we have people with varying views...if they can work together, it will all be fine.

Otherwise, we will need a change in the composition of the board to get a majority one way or the other (the current split seems to be 5:5) for any progress to be made, which may happen with the next elections.

If the board cannot work together, then little or no progress will be made, and we may run out of time to fix our problems.

dodo

Since we have had - as far as I know - NO explanation of the reasons for Middleton's resignation, this has the absolute stench of political manouevering. How in any god's name could that be considered to be 'to allow the system to work'? RAA was left with NO group responsible, under the Constitution, to carry out its day-to-day operations. An absolute abrogation of responsibility to the members for the sake of personal ego.

I have always believed in the value of corporate knowledge to any organisation. However, it is frankly impossible to view the events of the last six months in regard to the performance of a considerable number of the Board members to be anything less than a bloody disgrace for an organisation that has the responsibility for the operation of a sector of aviation in this country as anything less than a rolling disaster, and hence to believe that nothing other than a tectonic change in the Board composition is essential for our forward existence. We need a Board with the propensity (willingness plus ability) to discharge those responsibilities.

Other than the few who contribute to this forum of members are likely to comprehend the degree of change that is needed. I exhort those who DO understand this, to communicate with everybody in RAA they know, to help install a Board that will be capable of resolving the miasma in which we are now placed. It's OUR future aviating that is at stake.

• Agree 3

Guest Maj Millard
Since we have had - as far as I know - NO explanation of the reasons for Middleton's resignation, this has the absolute stench of political manouevering. How in any god's name could that be considered to be 'to allow the system to work'? RAA was left with NO group responsible, under the Constitution, to carry out its day-to-day operations. An absolute abrogation of responsibility to the members for the sake of personal ego.I have always believed in the value of corporate knowledge to any organisation. However, it is frankly impossible to view the events of the last six months in regard to the performance of a considerable number of the Board members to be anything less than a bloody disgrace for an organisation that has the responsibility for the operation of a sector of aviation in this country as anything less than a rolling disaster, and hence to believe that nothing other than a tectonic change in the Board composition is essential for our forward existence. We need a Board with the propensity (willingness plus ability) to discharge those responsibilities.

Other than the few who contribute to this forum of members are likely to comprehend the degree of change that is needed. I exhort those who DO understand this, to communicate with everybody in RAA they know, to help install a Board that will be capable of resolving the miasma in which we are now placed. It's OUR future aviating that is at stake.

Oscar, that would have to be the biggest load of frogshxx I have heard in a while, and that's saying something considering past events !!..I had previously decided there was no way with 13 board members that you could possibly please everybody, and you my friend have just convinced me that my thinking was correct.

Why don't you take a couple of good sleeping pills, wake up nice and fresh in the morning, and we'll all get on with the job of rebuilding our fine sporting organisation, now that some positive decisions have been made............Maj...074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

And shooting the messenger who is stating the bloody obvious of what has happened over the last 18 months is not the answer in the rebuilding process Ross. By all means lets us get on and build.

BUT some bloody old British Prime Minister once said ..." those who forget the past are bound to relive it ..."

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard

Yes David, but I believe it was that same bloody old British Prime Miniter that as a young Lord of the Admiralty, sent our troops onto the beaches at Gallipolie wasn't it ?............Maj....