RAAus and engine-off

Bruce Tuncks

Does anybody know why RAAus prohibits engine-off operation? It could be argued that this should be an essential part of training, if done where there is a safe landing available if the engine does not restart.

There have been some fatalities where the pilot has clearly lost control in panic at the strange silence heard for the first time ever.

There are a few possible reasons: To avoid encroaching on GFA "territory" ; Because CASA ordered it; Because it has been decided that the risks outweigh the benefits; and because many instructors would be afraid to do the exercise. The benefits of glider experience have been written about in the magazine, so maybe it has been decided that a GFA club should be the only way this experience be allowed.

Or another reason I haven't thought of.

• Agree 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance companies may not like the idea either ? (be it aircraft, professional or public liability)

......................... then there is a case for there is no reason why an insurance company should not like it ?

Was included towards the end of my training, CFI looked straight at me defying me to panick, I had been in the same model aircraft not long before when the engine took a break so it was not a big trill. It is very peaceful though.

• Like 1

My instructor (ex RAF wartime instructor) used to switch the fuel off when you weren't looking, it taught us to switch fuel tanks as the first instinctive action.

Several times I spotted him in the corner of my eye slowly sliding his hand down between the seats so I would pretend I hadn't noticed and casually looked out of my window; my reaction time always impressed him. This was training in Guernsey, however, I have never had this with any instructor in Australia, it has always been a reduce power to idle but not too quickly to avoid engine damage however I have done complete shut downs myself in rec aircraft including landings without power.

Alan.

When l was doing training my instructor turn off the engine on about eight occasions then l had to do my emergence engine failure procedure ,it was great learning actual engine failure l had to land it every time should be taught to every student ,l think because you really know when the noise stops what to do ..

• Agree 2

My instructor (ex RAF wartime instructor) used to switch the fuel off when you weren't looking, it taught us to switch fuel tanks as the first instinctive action.Several times I spotted him in the corner of my eye slowly sliding his hand down between the seats so I would pretend I hadn't noticed and casually looked out of my window; my reaction time always impressed him. This was training in Guernsey, however, I have never had this with any instructor in Australia, it has always been a reduce power to idle but not too quickly to avoid engine damage however I have done complete shut downs myself in rec aircraft including landings without power.

Alan.

I don't remember my instructor ever doing a complete shut off (GA), but he had a nasty habit of pulling the throttle to idle about 100ft up after takeoff. It concentrated the mind wonderfully.

My 912ULS ideals at 1700rpm on the ground but will not go below 2000rpm at best glide speed of 59 knots. So I suspect that the glides I achieve in practice are being extended somewhat. It would be good to try it with a dead engine and see how different it is. I might ask an instructor whether he is willing!

• Agree 1

Pulling the power back to idle is the nearest most trainees get to a stopped engine. Some on this forum have claimed that a prop creates more drag when idling than when stationary. I have it on good authority that the opposite may be true. Our training should prepare pilots for more rapid loss of height than when we cut to idle.

I don't remember my instructor ever doing a complete shut off (GA), but he had a nasty habit of pulling the throttle to idle about 100ft up after takeoff. It concentrated the mind wonderfully.

Seeing a prop blade all quiet and still in the windscreen gets you kinda concentrated too, I've never had an engined stopped in GA though, I'm sure it's pretty hard on the cylinders, but the good old 912 is more than up for it. I've had a couple of engine problems and having had very good engine failure training is worth more than gold when the sh1t hits the fan

Matty

• Like 1

Seeing a prop blade all quiet and still in the windscreen gets you kinda concentrated too, I've never had an engined stopped in GA though, I'm sure it's pretty hard on the cylinders, but the good old 912 is more than up for it. I've had a couple of engine problems and having had very good engine failure training is worth more than gold when the sh1t hits the fanMatty

Isn't the aim to keep the fan out of the sh1t?

• Haha 2

Isn't the aim to keep the fan out of the sh1t?

Yes Bill teaches you with engine off…it makes a big difference surprisingly but always done in the right place…..I think its the peace and quiet that really helps the concentration too

• Winner 1

Pulling the power back to idle is the nearest most trainees get to a stopped engine. Some on this forum have claimed that a prop creates more drag when idling than when stationary. I have it on good authority that the opposite may be true. Our training should prepare pilots for more rapid loss of height than when we cut to idle.

I would suggest tht it may vary between aircraft, my Drifter with it's 70 inch wood prop (on a Verner), glides further with the engine stopped, my 95.10 loses thrust and the glide is much shorter.

• Informative 1

That's where glider time comes in helpful. No engine, no panic, fly the aircraft.

The bloke I fly with started out in gliders and is definitely a cool cucumber when the engine burps, doesn't mean he doesn't take it seriously, but gets on and does what needs to be done. Landing without the engine is just another skill we could all be better at, if that means time in gliders then maybe it wouldn't do any of us any harm.

• Agree 2