Position Report, Feb Sport Pilot

Guest ozzie

Just received my latest edition of Sport Pilot and open the initial flick thru came across Mark Clayton's Position Report. (You on this forum Mark?) Really pleased to read that there is some consideration to moving the RAAus out of Canberra and setting up at a suitable airfield. Obviously this will take some time to achieve but is at last looking to be positive forward movement and showing improvement in the restructure of the RAAus. Very long overdue. I plead with everyone to pull together and get this sorted asap and not to bicker of trivial details. Mangalore has always been a good place for it or nearby Wangaratta. But there are a few good sites further north. So troops pull together on this. The sooner it happens then the sooner training schools for future pilots, instructors and maintenance staff can be delivered at a much higher level of standard.

Also the obvious is improvements in office proficiency that will lift the administration game and will see an end to the audit mess situations we have all recently seen.

What I have read is the real first positive step forward other than recent resignations of several exec members in a long time. Support this and get out of Canberra.

I have recently received both my membership and Lazair rego renewals with a please submit more info letter (for the second year in a row) and am seriously thinking of tossing it in the bin. The drama to fly very basic 95:10 and cost for what little time that I log, zip over the last 18 months, plus all the insults from the "old boys club" just ain't worth the pain. To go on a nice holiday to the US and fly the same machine under FAR 103 with out the BS is more inviting than putting up with the RAAus and CASA 's continuing over regulation. I used to enjoy flying but since I was told I had to join the RAAus when it became mandatory some time back has been the pitts. Can't thermal or ridge sore no fence hopping blah blah blah. Spend 5 times more than the aircrafts worth for a pilot certificate because they last the original one I gained in 1986.

So who wants to convince me it is all worth sticking around subsidising two place insurance?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought Temora would be a pretty good base?

But anyway, what's wrong with Canberra? From a flying pov, I can understand; independence wise, I'd have thought it was ideal (except a proximity to CASA issue?).

Cheers

Kevin

Airspace or the lack of it.

Temora is a great place more central than and accessible obvious reason to have Natfly there weather is very stable. But could the existing operations there handle a swarm of LSA types mixing it with jets and such.

Hey Ozzie, it's Friday man, chill out, take time to enjoy life, just do what's needed and go fly your aircraft, if you want the freedoms they have in the US, either go live there or try and change the way things are here, don't just be another complaining twit that is never going to be happy, the time are changing and there is little we can do to stop it, be compliant with the rules and go for a fly, you will feel much better when you do, I know I do. I deal with CASA and ASA almost everyday, no much fun to be had, but jump in my Drifter and an hour in the air and the world is good.

• Agree 3

Airspace or the lack of it.Temora is a great place more central than and accessible obvious reason to have Natfly there weather is very stable. But could the existing operations there handle a swarm of LSA types mixing it with jets and such.

Narromine is even more central again, Alice springs is central too, just remembered people live west of Adelaide!

• Agree 3
  • Caution 3

After being in this game since 1976 I've earned the right to be just another complaining twit. I find it pretty insulting to have had so many so called freedoms stripped out from under me by a group of people that have failed miserably to represent us me competently to CASA.

Yes be very easy to up stakes and move I don't have any commitments to anyone. The only reason I'd like to go there and fly FAR103 is to fly a Lazair into the worlds biggest fly in with no licence and rego. As for moving there well... .

Patrick it will be on the east coast were the majority live. Read the story in the mag. Get behind it, support it and move what is left of the RAAus into the 21st century. This should have happened back in the late eighties.

Bonds Springs - north of Alice Springs - very central to everyone - very safe - not many people to get in the way of a good fly - very close to the beautiful McDonnell Ranges - excellent place to take off for a sightseeing tour of Pine Gap.

Sorry, tongue in cheek, RAA needs to be in a place that attracts the best talent and offers them and their families the best opportunities. Small country towns do offer a lot but the number of people attracted to them is very small.

Bigger country towns (cities) like Wagga, Orange, Bathurst, Canberra, Wollongong, Newcastle, Albury, Dubbo might be attractive but even they are unlikely to have all the local talent we need.

In terms of airports, why does RAA need to be at an airport? Very few of our members go to the office. Canberra being in controlled airspace might have a small impact, but I doubt it. No matter where you put RAA it will be out reach of more than 99% of the members - how many people will benefit from RAA being in Bonds Springs, or Beverly or Henty or Leigh Creek or George Town or St. George or Serviceton or even Temora (but Cootamundra is much easier to get to).

RAA is not an aero club nor a tennis club. It is a service organisation providing support and guidance to the members. It is a regulatory body enforcing that bit of "legislation" granted to it. It is an advocacy organisation going out to bat for the members.

In those three roles most are and will be done by post or the internet or over the phone. Parts of the regulatory business and almost all of the advocacy business can only really be done where the people and politicians we regulate on behalf of and advocate to live and work - Canberra!

If we are insistent on saving airports we would spend better money advocating on keeping all airports open and accessible. And if we have a bit of money left over (after defending our rules against importers and builders who try to pull fasties) we might spend a bit getting controlled airspace endos so we can actually fly from airport to airport.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

One thing is for sure ... Being near Canberra serves no purpose. Most people drive cars or fly cheap airline fares to get somewhere. The majority of people by far live on the east cost of Australia/ It is academic anyhow. We communicate all over the globe on the net. Nev

• Agree 1

If the RAAus only sees itself as an admin facility then the "sport " will never really mature. It will continue with the same problems as it has now. Mates trained by mates to a mates standard. Being under one roof on a venue that can offer both class room and practical to a high standard to the one syllabus will remove a lot of the problems we see today. The RAAus has to stop operating with it's old AUF mentality.

Wherever the move is to, if it happens it needs to be to somewhere where rental is available and cheap, and where the local council is supportive of aviation.

Temora has a lot going for it but you might not get as much weekend flying as you want because the museum will have priority. Tocumwal comes to mind as a place with lots of space and multiple runways. Yarrawonga is nice but no cross strip. Echuca fits the bill as does Wangaratta. Narromine is good but lots of gliders. Wagga is lovely but there is the military and also the RPT traffic.

Actually, Renmark seems to tick all the boxes (except for the gliders) and gives those further west a bit of a go, too. Great life on the Murray there, too. It even uses 126.7 to keep those qlanders happy.

Kaz

The city of Canberra (as in the legislative assembly), the Chamber of Commerce and the neighbours over the border in NSW do not want small airplanes in that part of the country. Fact. Not my opinion.

Yes there is an excellent labour pool for office workers there but the chances of actually landing in the ACT anywhere other than YSCB, zero.

RA-Aus can't have both unless a privately owned airfield is developed and run on its behalf in the ACT. Not impossible but it hasn't happened yet has it?

Give Canberra the same love it gives anything under 5,700kg MTOW

• Agree 2

If you wait for the Army to "bug out" of Oakey in a few years ... Grass, camping, hangars, classrooms, near a town. Toowoomba regional council has more airfields than most and this one is already there with its own museum

085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

• Like 3

If you wait for the Army to "bug out" of Oakey in a few years ... Grass, camping, hangars, classrooms, near a town. Toowoomba regional council has more airfields than most and this one is already there with its own museum085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

What is it with museums? A museum doesn't make a good fly-in and it doesn't make a good head office, but it is so bl**dy important to have one nearby.

Stuff the majority, I want it an hour from me! That's the attitude isn't it?

No way two hours away would be much better, I don't want all you crazy people flying too close to my home:poke_tongue_out:throw_tomato.gif.8a27f69a28c208ea05bc7ad066007de8.gif

• Like 1

RA-Aus HQ needs to be somewhere that staff can be found or are prepared to move to. All the rest is academic once the administration moves into the 21st century on line business. We should be able to access all our own details including ALL information held on our aircraft, photos etc. Crikey you can check the registered owner of any CASA registered aircraft but not RA-Aus.

Our heads in the sand earlier administrations put paid to any technological progress but managed to serve their own personal interests well. The failed audits and rego delays are testament to this. I know they are now working on new on line systems & processes but being 10 to 20 years behind most other organisations it will be a slow process even though we only have 10,000 members & 3000 aircraft.

• Agree 3

Arent these guys just administrators. Why the hell do we need our office at an airport. Ffs this is the dumbest idea ive ever heard of. A complete waste of time and money. Deal with the real issues. Do people honestly think that just because RRA is at an airport we are all going to fly there, or they are going to suddenly have the resources to sit in a tea room and chat with us. Dumb dumb dumb

This white elephant scheme is distracting from things that need to be done and from the tasks RAA need to do better.

Perhaps its a deliberate ploy to give us something else to focus on.