Job Interview Suggestions?

Guest cfm56

Guest cfm56

Hi forum fans.I just need couple of interview tricks as I need to preaper these tricks cos I always lost or didn't win this competitions.

I put my CV as well to check what's wrong with my situation.

Cheers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was interviewing lost of young people I would form an opinion within the first few minutes and, in that time, I was doing most of the talking. If it was good then the applicant just had to maintain it. If it was bad the person would have to work very hard to impress me enough to change that poor first impression.

But many missed the interview - I'd cull 90% out after reading their CV. Many suitable applicants so, everything else being equal, it would only take a trivial thing to put a CV in the bin vs going to interview. I'd typically spend 30 seconds reading a CV so consider

You only get once chance to make a good first impression.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Good-Impression-at-a-First-Job-Interview (I don't agree with the "cute shirt" comment however.)

• Agree 2

Spoze you could mention to them, the position must not interfere with your social life.

2ndly.......could they give you 3 weeks notice when another sicky is due to you. ( helps your life plans )

Last request ( we won,t over do it ) ......flexable start and finish times please.

Maaate.........jobs yours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Caution 1

"Cute shirt" to a bloke. I thought the whole thing was BS. If things were THAT simple we'd all be genius's. Besides I wouldn't want to work for anyone who would employ someone like me. Nev

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Besides I wouldn't want to work for anyone who would employ someone like me.

Self-employment does that to you.

Some genius recognised early on in my working career that I don't work well in teams, wrote it in a report, next thing I knew I was transfered to a two man post in the bush. Gee I would have loved to shake that blokes hand!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Hi forum fans.I just need couple of interview tricks as I need to preaper these tricks cos I always lost or didn't win this competitions.I put my CV as well to check what's wrong with my situation.

Cheers

Insufficient information provided in your post. You don't need 'tricks' to achieve selection, or to 'win' any aviation competition. Your qualities will be evident by way of your CV, by your phone manners, and by your interview presentation and behaviour. If as, by your own admission, you think there may be some flaws in your CV - there are many professional services you could contact and who will no doubt be able to assist you. happy days,

• Helpful 2

I would suggest be honest and straightforward, and don't BS. If you don't know something asked say so. If I wanted someone to fly a plane for me I would like to think he/she could be trusted. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You don't need 'tricks' to achieve selection, or to 'win' any aviation competition. Your qualities will be evident by way of your CV,

Nonsense, your CV then looks exactly the same as the 20 other ones with the same qualifications and experience.

But many missed the interview - I'd cull 90% out after reading their CV. Many suitable applicants so, everything else being equal, it would only take a trivial thing to put a CV in the bin vs going to interview. I'd typically spend 30 seconds reading a CV so consider

Exactly.

My CV's front page clearly showed I owned my house, devoted family man with children and most of all, had lizards and snakes for pets.

I got interviews just to talk about the lizards and snakes which made a very comfortable interview setting and usually got me the job because I stood out and was memorable.

Use your plane hobby to your advantage, use a picture of you (and family) with your plane always and you will get noticed and have a comfortable topic to talk about. Prove you are a person of interest who has a life, many can do the job but selection is more about who you are.

• Agree 4
  • Helpful 1

Interesting how things change, I've never even had a CV till recently when I decided to apply for some jobs that are a bit bigger than I'm used to, some even require a suit( which I had to buy) ,I've been in interviews and really though I'd done well only to get a rejection letter/email,,,,kinda makes me think about how I could do things differently , the suits a cracker so it might be me ,,,,although I did discover when asked about my expectations answering in such a way that sounded like I wanted to be the interviewers boss probably wasn't the smartest thing. I don't know if "tricks" is the right word, maybe "tactics" would be a better one, either way it's quite a learning curve to be mid forties and having to sell myself ,

Matty

• Like 1

Matty, my prior post referred to young people with a brief comment on CVs wrt gaining an interview, you are getting interviews so up a level. Personally, I've never been put off by competent people at interviews saying they wanted my job iff I thought they would fit in well until then. No tricks at your level, instead tailored preparation. Perhaps you should rock up for a mock interview and I will give you feedback. Incidentally, a good idea for you is to ask for feedback from the real interviews, by phone, ask why they selected the other guy.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether cfm is just an alter-ego for trolling, but if not PM me and expect to be doing a lot of homework, but regardless of your rejection rate there is likely to be an employer out there who desperately needs you.

SPELLING

Others have mentioned it, some cannot spell because they are dyslexic or have some other genuine reason, most just were unlucky enough to be moved around schools by their parents, had bad teachers, or just missed critical English classes during the ages from 10 to 13 which is the period when the serious part of English is taught.

A whole generation of people were the victim of a line of thinking around the 1970's that spelling didn't matter; if someone could understand you that was good enough.

Don't believe it; nothing will be said in an interview, but if you are going for a job which is more than just manual labour and the spelling in your CV is bad, nothing will be said, but you'll usually be told the position was filled by someone else.

Someone mentioned you should ask why you were not selected, but most companies will refuse or will give you a whitewash version because they are not allowed to discriminate against you on this disadvantage.

Lazy English like cos, thanx etc is worse because it's a clear indicator of laziness, and employers are looking for the best value for money.

I've done a lot of thinking about the current decline in spelling, and the billions of dollars it must cost our community, and it seems to me that people could improve their spelling out of sight by going down to the local school, finding out what the current English books are for ages 10 to 13 and spending 20 minutes per day going through them (there's "a rat" in the middle of separate etc)

CV

It's very much as Facthunter says, tricks don't work. An employer is making a large investment. If a company car type job is involved, the company's all up costs will be about three times your salary, and that's a serious investment these days - one where an employer has to get a return on shareholder investment, so it should be factual, checkable, with no gaps where there may have been a negative period. Most companies will phone previous employers and be given an accurate summation of the good the bad and the ugly. This can hurt you if you haven't had a good record, or if you haven't performed, but you can learn to perform by matching your ambitions to your skills, learning new skills etc.

And it can help you; on three or four occasions I've been phoned as a reference by employers who clearly were just going through the motions and didn't want the person, and the information I gave completely turned the situation around when either skills that I pointed out, or spectacular results I mentioned hadn't come up on the CV or interview.

Before doing the CV it's critical that you spend some time, several hours going back over your life and employment history and make up a list of your strengths and weaknesses. Weigh very carefully what your previous employers have said about you.

I read a saying recently which is unfortunately true "People don't leave bad companies, people leave bad managers" So this is the time to decide whether they were right or wrong in the way they treated you; often where there is a breakdown they will be wrong and it's worth the self-analysis to decide whether this is the case. Err on the blaming yourself side rather than the "I'm perfect" version.

Having done that you are in a position to sell your strengths and admit your weaknesses. All the best salesmen around the world, the ones who can point to spectacular results don't hesitate to point out to the customer any negatives, and that's how they build loyalty which the glad handing bag of wind loses customer by customer, because crap starts to smell after a while.

So let's say you've got three good strengths but you're not so good in arithmetic, but you have just started some private maths tutoring - that shows someone who is self motivated, and where the minor deficiency will be gone in a few months.

CLOTHES

It's important to dress at the top end for the dress code usually worn by the employees, so some quiet research is required, parking out the front in the morning or afternoon if required. A black sheep in a white mob can be seen from the other side of the paddock. If you can't afford a suit you can hire one, or buy one from Op Shops where the quality is often as new.

APPEARANCE

If you arrive needing a shave and a good haircut, the reaction is likely to be the same as spelling - nothing will be said, you will be thanked for your time, but the position has been filled.

INTERVIEW

Every employer is different; some, like djp have a feel for the situation in the first few seconds.

Rudi Giuliani, former Mayor of New York, in talking about public speaking said the audience will make up their minds about your message in the first 12 seconds.

What he didn't say was dragging out the interview with a whole lot of crap will turn the customer off.

In an employment interview the employer will be expecting to control the interview and won't thank you for taking over and bombarding him with your exceptional talents, because he knows that's how you'll behave in corporate meetings where you should be listening.

It's worth distilling down your strengths ready for those 12 second bursts, which could come up several times as he asks questions. A good example of how effective this can be is if you held a 357 magnum to someone's head and say "Give me your money" - probably not something you could do in an interview, but you can see it would beat explaining calibres, loads, firing mechanisms, grip etc until he went to sleep.

RESEARCH AND REASONS

Many people have difficulty getting jobs because they aim for jobs for which they don't have qualifications or experience, and the success rate can be increased by studying the Position Description (PD) very carefully line by line and making notes on what is required. Always respond to the PD item by item, before going off at a tangent, however in some cases put, as an attachment, or at the bottom, other skills which are not asked for but which could be useful for the company if they have another position vacant, or coming vacant.

Having already written out your strengths, it's easy to look at the PD and strengths list side by side, and you might find that jobs come up regularly where you need a particular qualification which you can do a TAFE or Uni course for, and with that qualification be a much more marketable product.

APPLICATION

Should always be typed (in some cases it shows that the person seriously wants the job.

Should always address the PD descriptions clause by clause noting where you comply (and listing your strength), and also noting where you do not comply (and listing any on-going training, or willingness to undergo training)

In may cases someone who shows self-motivation, attention to detail, or neatness/efficiency in operation will be trained by the company.

That beats bullsh$tting in your CV and the company having to wait 12 months or so before there's an opportunity to fire you, which upsets your ongoing CV record no end.

This is by by no means a comprehensive list, but hope it helps.

• Informative 3
  • Winner 1

If you know the history of the company and it's successes that won't do you any harm. If some high up in the company has advised you about something do NOT let on you have spoken to him. There may be a " conflict" between the two.

Make your responses short and to the point. Don't keep ratting on and show some limitation of your knowledge you need not have.. Nev

• Like 1

Put yourself in the position of the interviewer. What would impress you?

Be prepared. Be friendly but don't be a boot-licker. Tell the interviewer what they want to hear. Think before you speak and be economical with words. Be interested, flexible, observant, focused and demonstrate to the best of your ability that you are suitable to fill the position.

If the interviewer says, "Any questions?", ask some! It is expected.

Good luck!

Hi forum fans.I just need couple of interview tricks as I need to preaper these tricks cos I always lost or didn't win this competitions.I put my CV as well to check what's wrong with my situation.

Cheers

90% of the job applications hitting my desk I throw out because of spelling or formatting mistakes or just looking ugly. Best (worst?) was someone who mis-spelled the name of the university where they claimed to have got a degree. I NEVER hire anyone who makes spelling mistakes in a job application: I view this as a basic intelligence test.

The other big thing to remember is ALL contact with the prospective employer must be viewed as being under interview conditions. For example: candidate interviews fine. Boss asks receptionist, who says "he was a jerk to me", so candidate rejected.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

wear tidy clothes but make sure one piece of apparel has damage (a corner of a pocket torn, belt frayed, neck tie 'off centre', one lens fogged, one dark blue sock - one black; etc) .............. if you are up to scratch this could generate a critical sympathy factor that might get you in the front door ......................... to the base of the slippery pole

good luck in any interview cfm56

• Haha 1
  • Caution 1

The first impression is the big one. If you are a person where english is your second language get the non verbal right.

Go shake hands with a number of people men and women you know and ask for feedback on what the handshake told them about you. You will be surprised. I never made up my mind to employ on the handshake intro but if I didn't like the handshake I certainly was cautious and probed the previous employers about conduct that bit more.

By didn't like I mean it was too strong /weak, or they looked away, or they stood in my personal space, the hand was on top of mine instead of Side by side, they stared me down etc. a friendly warm open demeanour is a great start to an interview.

The handshake and associated body posture and eye contact tell an enormous amount about your approach to people and if you will fit into the team.

• Agree 2

90% of the job applications hitting my desk I throw out because of spelling or formatting mistakes or just looking ugly. Best (worst?) was someone who mis-spelled the name of the university where they claimed to have got a degree. I NEVER hire anyone who makes spelling mistakes in a job application: I view this as a basic intelligence test.

Totally agree with this, poor spelling or grammar indicates a poor education no two ways about it. I give applicants a detailed application form to fill out on the spot and make it very clear that all questions are optional and no answer is mandatory. It is the first job I give them to do. Had one guy fill out his name, address and very little else - he handed it back to me and verbally outlined his response to the other questions, seems like he couldn't bother writing it down or something.

Totally agree with this, poor spelling or grammar indicates a poor education no two ways about it. I give applicants a detailed application form to fill out on the spot and make it very clear that all questions are optional and no answer is mandatory. It is the first job I give them to do. Had one guy fill out his name, address and very little else - he handed it back to me and verbally outlined his response to the other questions, seems like he couldn't bother writing it down or something.

Or he couldn't spell to save himself. In this modern era where social media is a big part of peoples lives. People who can't spell to save themselves are going to fall behind. Nobody is perfect, but some adults are lucky to be at grade 5 standards. On Facebook yesterday on a group forum about a particular 4WD there was a comment with atrocious spelling . Examples - dule for duel , somewon for someone and the best Patrole for Patrol as in Nissan Patrol. I mean seriously , did dudes like this actually go to school ?

• Agree 1

I am very proud of everyone on this forum. Since this thread started I have been waiting for a comment that suggested that maybe some of the participants who comment may not be successful in job interviews, given the grammar....

Well done in keeping it to external people, away from the forum!!!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dazza, many of them were children of itinerant parents or for other reasons missed that crucial sequence starting in about Grade 5; what I've given them is a way to do a reasonably small amount of study, so they are no longer locked in to that disadvantage throughout their working life.