jabiru down brisbane

S

I do not know.

it wasn't a jabiru engine after all !?

This makes me laugh , if it wasnt so serious ,

Your saying it-took over a week to let us know it wasn't a jab engine?

This is the one from archer field is it ?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all knew that. We have one J 170 which we believe, on the basis of hearsay, to be a fuel exhaustion due to uncoordinated flying situation, having come down with some fuel in the left tank, but we don't know how much; and one J230 with Lyconental power (not sure which, but probably Lycoming), having come down due to "fuel exhaustion" with one tank about 60% full ?!&**?

Or do I have that wrong, again?

• Agree 2

I am told the J230 was filled prior to take off, that it held 135 litres and burned 22 to 25 litres PH in cruise and it was just under 4 hrs of flight when the engine stopped. In the crash the wings were torn off by trees. One wing was laying flat on the ground and when dipped had a couple of inches of fuel showing.

S

it wasn't a jabiru engine after all !?

This makes me laugh , if it wasnt so serious ,

Your saying it-took over a week to let us know it wasn't a jab engine?

This is the one from archer field is it ?

Do you know how to read?

The following reports have been lifted from the RAA Accident & Incident Reports. The accident from "last Sunday" is not listed (yet):-

30 July 2014Jabiru J170DRuncorn(YBAF),QLD0720On a return from an an area training flight the aircraft engine initially surged then lost complete power. The pilot elected to land in a nearby soccer field and during the landing sequence impacted a set of goalposts before coming to rest. Minor injuries were reported to both occupants with severe damage to aircraft.RA-Aus has completed its investigation into this accident and determined the engine appeared to be operating normally and the accident may have resulted from fuel starvation, rather than fuel exhaustion. The pilot completed all required actions as he was trained to do, to bring about a successful and safe emergency landing.

TT(PIC):50

TT(Type):50

3 Aug 2014Jabiru J160Redcliffs Golf Course, Mildura VIC1400Cruising at 1300ft and the engine suddenly started to run rough, lost power and began vibrating badly. PIC was approximately 3 NM from the golf club. PIC set up an approach to a fairway, when close to the ground (20ft) golfers appeared in the approach path and to avoid them PIC turned towards the trees and tried to balloon over the trees. The plane stalled into a tree and came to rest approximately 20 meters beyond. PIC promptly exited the aircraft without injury. The engine ceased operating at approximately 100 ft. Investigation outcomes under assessment.TT(PIC):1247

TT(Type);700

TTIS:1303

TTSM:16.3

none of those have a lycoming

That's because (as I said in the first line of my post) "The accident from "last Sunday" is not listed (yet)" The second accident, which happened after the one we are discussing in this thread, is included out of interest. The Gascoyne Junction J230(?) with the Continental or Lycoming engine that Teckair is referring to with substantial damage last Sunday, has not made it to the RAA website (yet). That's 3 Jab engine stoppages - 30 July, 3 August and 10 August 2014. The listing is here https://www.raa.asn.au/safety/accident-incident-summaries-2014/

Sue

I wasn't having a shot at you, just that if these people read a bit more they will find there were two aircraft down not one.

Yep , and I didn't think you were. I just wasn't sure where you were directing people.

I'm pretty sure that all those who are following this thread with any sort of intellectual rigour will know there are now 2 incidents being covered. It is disappointing (and frustrating) that so many "contributors" here (not pointing at you Turbs) are so eager to jump to their conclusions with nothing more than speculation and often a significant element of pre-judgement on which to base their assertions and the consequent finding of fault.

We as a flying community should ALL be very interested in the cause of these incidents but the determination of their cause, as with all accident investigations should be conducted by people who are disinterested i.e without bias or any interest in the outcome other than arriving at a determination of the cause(s). That's the point that I and others have tried to make, with apparent lack of success, in several earlier posts both in this thread in in the Mildura thread. My use of the phrase "forensic examination of the cause..." was a poor choice on my part but I'm sure that deep down beneath that crusty exterior of yours you understood my meaning, and possibly even agree to some extent?

• Agree 7

I am told the J230 was filled prior to take off, that it held 135 litres and burned 22 to 25 litres PH in cruise and it was just under 4 hrs of flight when the engine stopped. In the crash the wings were torn off by trees. One wing was laying flat on the ground and when dipped had a couple of inches of fuel showing.

Do you know how to read?

Apparently not !

Missed that one .

Anyone know who was flying the Jab at Gascoyne Junction and how they are? I used to live on a station a couple of hundred miles east of there.Kaz

Yes the pilot was the only pax and he managed to make a safe crash landing, he got some stitches on his face but is OK. I don't think he is a local to the area.

A person with Dazza's grammatical qualifications accidentally using a double negative? Nah

060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

Obviously not, just two separate trains of thought trying to tell the same story, It is probrably called multi-skilling or something.

• Like 1

with the lycomimg or any jabiru really it would bevery easy on a long flight to drive a bit harder than normal and use 25 per hour which means five hour flight it is before noisy stops up frontIf you budget on 20-22 you may find you get a nasty surprise

True but I am told that did not happen. There are some who need to go back to school and learn how to read.

The are MANY here who need to learn how to SPELL!!!

I would reckon that there are only a couple that need to learn how to spell, most incorrect spelling here, I would guess is the result of typos. I've noticed that my iPad changes words for me ( or I've misspelt), and on occasion I've missed it before the edit period expires.

• Agree 3

The are MANY here who need to learn how to SPELL!!!

I reckon there are many here who need to stop taking themselves so seriously. This forum is a great place but there appear to be a ton of personalities that allow there egos to overcome common sense.

Cheers Geoff13

• Agree 4