Kangaroos on airstrip problem.

Teckair

Yes, when they want to hit you not much you can do

In a night trip from Broken Hill to Menindee hit 25x, guy right behind even got a few too

Was 70-80kmh, they all on the move and fast

Need to fit heavy bullbar, siderails and tray, only doors left to bend, might upset aero profile on LSA?

• Agree 3

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my share of 'roo strikes, driving to & from my home to Bundaberg & Hervey Bay. If it's an alpha male following a female, he'll keep coming no matter what you do. I've had them hit the side of the vehicle, too; slowing right down reduces the impact damage, but they'll still hit you. The air horns sound worth a try for clearing the airstrip, tho the neighbours might get tired of them. Shu-roos etc might be useful as ammunition in a blunderbus, but that's illegal . . .

If you have about 50 metres of clear ground either side of your track, you might see them coming in time to take avoiding action, but I do not have that luxury on my strip. I did find that the ones that startle from a wide road verge and bolt in the wrong direction, pass behind if you're driving at 130 kmh, as least in a quiet vehicle, which of course you can't do nowadays, but 100 kmh is exactly wrong . . . and the one you do hit will do enormous damage, and can be lethal if it comes through the windscreen.

I hit three in the first month I had my 405 diesel wagon, so I designed and installed a 'roo bar that had motor-cycle spring/shock units to absorb more energy before the 'roo actually hit the car - and of course, never had a 'roo strike after that, on the vehicle . . .

• Like 2

I wonder if you could rig up one or more of the LP gas operated bird-scares at the strip, that could somehow be set up to be pilot activated?

I have hundreds of the bloody things on my place and they sure do cover some ground if I fire a bird-scare shotgun cartridge in their direction.

Had two roos jump out on the highway at night in the way to kerang from Adelaide

Just veered past the leading one (ran over its tail) and brushed the nose of the other one at 100km/hr

Gives you a bit of a rush !

I wonder if you could rig up one or more of the LP gas operated bird-scares at the strip, that could somehow be set up to be pilot activated? 

I have hundreds of the bloody things on my place and they sure do cover some ground if I fire a bird-scare shotgun cartridge in their direction.

Duno but that has got me thinking.

Steve Donald has a set of airhorns in his Savannah...they work extremely well. he just does a pass over the strip blowing the horn and they all bolt...works well

That may be the best solution, much cheaper than lots of fencing.

• Agree 1

I get depressed recalling all the roos , emu's we've hit since we moved to sa ,

3 cars one 4 wd written off , insured yes , inconvenience big time !!!

Some locals sit on 130+ to avoid , as Dafydd has said .

Ive found slowing down gives more time to stop or avoid and since then have had few probs .

Good bull bars , side steps . And good high powered spot lights turned slightly out gives the best chance .

Other than culling , which you need a permit , or fencing , theres

not a lot you can do around airstrips other than keep a good lookout .

Mike .

• Agree 1

I am fitting the cheap whistles to see if they make any difference. The air horns might piss off the neighbors, for my private use I probably could manage, I am not sure about training where we are doing a take off and landing about every 10 minutes.

Here is the technical stuff.http://web.archive.org/web/20100821175414/http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/school/researchstaff/ramp/shuroofinal.pdf

I worked many years night shift travelling to work on roads where eastern grey roos were everywhere, never hit one and for what it's worth I used the cheap plastic stick on deer alerts available at car accessory shops, they were a couple of dollars, I believe they work, I won't argue their worth as I may have just been lucky but I'm talking many years, 35 km to work, kangaroos always visible and able to travel at a reasonable pace. I would use the cheap stick on wind whistle without hesitation. The Shoo Roo and the deer electronic device I probably wouldn't bother with.

Be easy to stick a few under the fuse, they did fall off every now an then.

one of the motoring organizations RAA? NRMA? commissioned University of Qld to study Shu Roo some yrs ago, and the UQ report said three things, which as I recall were:

1. The device didn't emit the claimed ultrasonic sound;

2. in any case roos don't respond to the claimed sound, and

3. use of the device (on Kangaroo Island!) did not reduce the roo-hitting rate.

Shu Roo also claimed that the device is sanctioned by Fleet SA. I called the manager there and he specifically denied that.

roundup works and I know if you can spray enough lead over the grass:big gun: that will stop them dead......... also works to slow down those annoying hoons with the impromptu speed bumps.

one of the motoring organizations RAA? NRMA? commissioned University of Qld to study Shu Roo some yrs ago, and the UQ report said three things, which as I recall were:1. The device didn't emit the claimed ultrasonic sound;

2. in any case roos don't respond to the claimed sound, and

3. use of the device (on Kangaroo Island!) did not reduce the roo-hitting rate.

Shu Roo also claimed that the device is sanctioned by Fleet SA. I called the manager there and he specifically denied that.

IF YOU BOTHERED TO READ, YOU WOULD SEE THAT WAS IT !!!!!!!!!!!

I am fitting the cheap whistles to see if they make any difference. The air horns might piss off the neighbors, for my private use I probably could manage, I am not sure about training where we are doing a take off and landing about every 10 minutes.

There are plastic(black or silver) one and diecast/chromed ones. I have heard that the metal ones which were about three times dearer also really work unlike the cheaper ones.

I had a set of the stick on chrome/diecast ones on a truck for 4 years, approx 1million klms. I only ever came close to getting one Roo in that time. Upon investigation I found both whistles blocked by bugs.

Do they work? I have no real proof that they do or don't.

Do I use them on all my cars/trucks? Hell yes.

Would I go west without them? Hell no.

But what the hell would I know, I am not a universtity graduate, I am just a dumbarsed truck driver.

Cheers Geoff13

Is there anything you can spray on the grass to make it less tasty?

Yes, Roundup

Actually Roundup make grass more palatable/sweeter - for cattle anyway - for a short while.

Time to practice your short take-offs and landings methinks. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Or maybe these guys could help ..... 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Actually Roundup make grass more palatable/sweeter - for cattle anyway - for a short while.

Sorry for the one word post. I was thinking of spraying the strip and boundaries with a boom spray maybe twice a year, and that should give you a roo free zone, as an alternative to roo-proof fencing which is the best, best expensive, guarantee of not bending something expensive when you least expect it.

Horns and sirens will get them running, but remember that as the owner or operator of a strip, if it doesn't have white crosses you have the duty of care for the unsuspecting visiting pilot.

......but remember that as the owner or operator of a strip, if it doesn't have white crosses you have the duty of care for the unsuspecting visiting pilot.

No duty if the incoming pilot has not bothered to obtain permission first, and if they do seek permission all you need do is warn the incoming PIC about the roo and other risks or deny permission to use.

• Agree 1

I've hit and killed more roos than I care to remember in my old 80 series LC. After dodging countless numbers of them travelling across to Broken Hill via Wilcannia etc from the Coast and down to Port Lincoln I decided to fit plastic stick on Shoo Roos. I never hit another roo since ... But ... The trick is you have to wash the bugs out of them or they become less effective. You could actually watch roos on the side of the road move away off the road in the long range driving lights as you approached and in the day time the goats would all move away like a continuous wave from the side of the highway as you approached.

So ... I bloody well know they worked and don't particularly give a toss what any academic says.

BTW, cleaning the bugs out takes a real concerted effort, you can't do it by wiping a sponge over them. They are useless if full of squashed bugs.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1