Link to Sport Pilot for May

Guest Andys@coffs

So...was it as good for you as it will be for our bottom line......  

49 members have voted

1. 1. So...was it as good for you as it will be for our bottom line......

• Yeah I had no issues and enjoyed getting early access to it
    • No...It sucks and I'll never read it ever...even the good bits...which were kinda cool

Guest Andys@coffs

People

In another thread I talked about the Ops Managers column in the May Sports Pilot.

Our CEO has had the magazine digitized and has allowed board members to post the linkage a bit wider... I presume if you are on this forum then internet access is not an issue and the ability to read a digital magazine is not technically limited.... So fill your boots:-

http://issuu.com/sportpilotmagazine/docs/issue.sp.may2015?utm_source=2015W17_subscribers&utm_campaign=Digest&utm_medium=email

Andy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at the vote wording Andy, nearly like they are loaded options:juggle:

Personally I'm in the middle, I don't mind getting it early but it doesn't have the same 'feel' as a paper mag.

It feels weird getting a May mag in April but it does look ok to me. (I will probably still opt for an extra fee and a paper mag though.)

Will we be free to share this digital version with our friends without any extra charges? If so I can see that being a very good way to increase our viewer base.

• Informative 1

I would rather a paper copy but I am also used to reading electronic magazines as I have been reading Unsealed 4X4 magazine this way ( which is free and emailed to people BTW and created by Pat Callinan ) since it started. So it is OK I guess.

Guest Andys@coffs

I was in a playful frame of mind when I put the options up....but in retrospect its a subject that people feel strongly about and I don't want someone thinking Im not taking it seriously.....I cant change the vote questions so if people feel very strongly about the subject then have your say but please don't play the man (me) I would change them to be more respectful if I could.

My own personal view is that Im all for the digital mag, it will be available in the online mag view as the link here shows and also I believe as a PDF for those, like me who will want to load it into apples iBook app and look at it when and if I want without requiring a constant online access

Im not sure about IP rights yet, the CEO is managing implementation and Im sure he will let people what they can and cant do with the link and/or the PDF in coming months

Andy

Andy, Is this the format we will get in the future? Will it be e-mailed direct to the member as a PDF or just sent a link through ISSUU?

I only have a netbook with a 9" screen and navigating through the mag was a nightmare. The ISSUU header and footers take up a lot of my screen. To see the whole 2 pages was too small to read even the headlines and if scrolling up/down I couldnt use the arrows on the keyboard as this just scrolled the ISSUU page not the magazine. It had to be a "click and drag"operation on a very limited area making it difficult. I had to keep reducing the size of the page to be able to find the arrows to turn pages.

To be honest it was not a pleasant experience and I gave up after page 10 as it was just too difficult to navigate. If it is to be e-mailed as a PDF it may be better but if it will be the same as this one through ISSUU, i guess that will be the last Sport Pilot i read.

It took over half an hour, maybe even an hour, to fully load up for me on my verrrryyyy slooooow ADSL2 landline (Your line speed is 11 kbps 0.01 Mbps; your download speed is 1 KB/s 0 MB/s). However, once the first few pages had loaded (after a few rounds of Solitaire) I started reading and that kept pace with the buffering. I haven't worked out the best format to read; one page on screen has the text too small to read, part pages make navigating down harder - the > takes you to the top of the next rather than further down.

Not the very best format - the magazine is better - but with practice it will be doable. My husband and I are both members, so we got 2 magazines. I am happy to go digital to save the $$$s and the trees. Only one criticism - pictures that span two pages - we don't get to see the whole picture, so it loses some of the graphical impact of the printed version. Similar with graphical elements such as Middo's Life Membership with the images spanning the two page spread.

On line means you can zoom in on pictures and text. I think I would prefer a pdf as I am more familiar with that in Adobe.

Provided I get an email prompt that it is available, I think I will read it. My husband prefers the print magazine. If he will pay the increased subscription is another undecided issue.

Sue

Ahhhh grrrrrr. Already giving me the $&@&$&.

Keeps freezing , stuck on page? Viewing on iPad on widow sill as only reception in rural Sherlock..... Looks like I'm findings extra bucks for subscription ( that I already pay for!).

my personal feeling regarding this whole thing, the deal I paid for at the time was the printed magazine. IF I renew in August and they want to change the terms and conditions of what I am purchasing, then fine. But I prefer to stick with what I signed up for, which was the printed mag, for all the reasons above.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Before CASA took flight safety online only, all the guys at work would get their copy in the mail, read it that night and For the next week at smoko was a complete and total debrief of what was in the magazine, including the quiz questions in the back. At the time we had a 2 apprentices and 3 lames (55+years old, no offence) and numerous young pilots there, all quite computer literate. Since they went web based I personally have not read one single article let alone the whole magazine. There has been no discussion either which makes me think that the others are not reading it either.

The same thing happens here in Narromine when there is an interesting article in the magazine, members see it flicking through the mag and talk about it. With a digital copy I feel you only tend to look for the things applicable to you and miss an awful lot of perhaps life saving information.

And another thing, I won't be leaving my iPad at the doctors surgery or on the gliding room bench for others to read and look thru once I've dissected it........

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I am a Scout leader. The Scout magazine was replaced with an on-line version some years ago (73 months). The local Group prints it out for those without internet, or unwilling to read on-line which is very few now. I get an email to say it is now available, and have to go to their site. From this month they will be splitting it into a streamlined version and a more comprehensive version. It will also be attached to the email, thus eliminating one further step to access. Maybe this is the way to go with Sport Pilot. I know I read attachments straight away and detach & save if it looks worthwhile, or I want to read it later. Having to go to another site (like Scouts) had meant I missed the odd issue. We also use Drop Box to share resources between Troops and post our programs and forms to the District Commissioner.

The other format is like Flight Safety, where you have a list of articles and you click to bring up the article on its own (not very good for advertisers who want their content viewed along side), but I probably miss some good stuff because I don't check often and cherry pick what I want to read from the title.

Sue

Before CASA took flight safety online only, all the guys at work would get their copy in the mail, read it that night and For the next week at smoko was a complete and total debrief of what was in the magazine, including the quiz questions in the back. At the time we had a 2 apprentices and 3 lames (55+years old, no offence) and numerous young pilots there, all quite computer literate. Since they went web based I personally have not read one single article let alone the whole magazine. There has been no discussion either which makes me think that the others are not reading it either.The same thing happens here in Narromine when there is an interesting article in the magazine, members see it flicking through the mag and talk about it. With a digital copy I feel you only tend to look for the things applicable to you and miss an awful lot of perhaps life saving information.

And another thing, I won't be leaving my iPad at the doctors surgery or on the gliding room bench for others to read and look thru once I've dissected it........

is it time to hang up the flying helmet mate? No one is going to force you to fly safe

PeopleIn another thread I talked about the Ops Managers column in the May Sports Pilot.

Our CEO has had the magazine digitized and has allowed board members to post the linkage a bit wider... I presume if you are on this forum then internet access is not an issue and the ability to read a digital magazine is not technically limited.... So fill your boots:-

http://issuu.com/sportpilotmagazine/docs/issue.sp.may2015?utm_source=2015W17_subscribers&utm_campaign=Digest&utm_medium=email

Andy

Thanks andy.

I had no problem reading it. I like the option to read it online now as its available wherever your tablet and ipad is.

• Agree 1

Before CASA took flight safety online only, all the guys at work would get their copy in the mail, read it that night and For the next week at smoko was a complete and total debrief of what was in the magazine, including the quiz questions in the back. At the time we had a 2 apprentices and 3 lames (55+years old, no offence) and numerous young pilots there, all quite computer literate. Since they went web based I personally have not read one single article let alone the whole magazine. There has been no discussion either which makes me think that the others are not reading it either.The same thing happens here in Narromine when there is an interesting article in the magazine, members see it flicking through the mag and talk about it. With a digital copy I feel you only tend to look for the things applicable to you and miss an awful lot of perhaps life saving information.

I haven't read Flight Safety since it went online either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I loved it...because I really love reading the magazine and it isn't available in newsagents any longer to non members. "They" tell you guys (you members) that it costs too much to make the mag available to the public in paper form...so maybe it is a plus for the organization because it is advertising that you will never otherwise get.

The only down side I see...is that you will need a "decent" internet connection...and I am getting the feeling most don't. We are lucky here to have our NBN...even with it turned down it is performing wonderfully and reliably...I would have hated to try to read the online mag at our old ADSL2 average speeds. I imagine this will resolve itself without too much effort soon enough...even the loony right who voted against the NBN at the last election are learning the hard way and I am sure won't do it again...lol

Doesn't do the job on my iPad. Zooming to read throws the page around. A simple PDF would be much easier.

Same problem with my IPad.

Magazine will no longer be read like Flight Safety some years back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Reading on my laptop is OK, can zoom and move around the page. I can even view photos over two pages. What I cannot do is save a copy! 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

This means that I have to be on-line every time I want to 'pick it up' to read. This is really going to eat into my Internet quota per month.

Surely if we are allowed to read it on-line there should be a free way of downloading it to be read later? (for PC users) 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

I'm no computer geek, however since all my airline manuals are now only available online we are required to download them ourselves, I did what I do for my Airbus manuals, ie download & then save in Goodreader, this allows you to read the magazine or to word search etc, great for research & references.

Goodreader is a free app you can download.

Doing the above should solve the problems that others folks have mentioned, I think.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

Thanks bennyboy, but goodreader is an app for an ipad. I can view and read OK, just not able to save to the laptop within the ISSUU program where the link to the magazine took me .... if that makes sense?