No RAA crashes

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And without doubt the Amazon Tribe are correct.

I didn't say that, simply said that if they do it long enough then they will see it fall.

If the Amazon tribe were correct that would mean the yelling would cause the tree to fall and I highly doubt if they meant after hundreds of years when it has died from old age and no-one can remember the yelling part. I am not going to argue about this.

• Caution 1

Like I said Teckair Without doubt they are correct. If they stand there and shout at it long enough, they will see it fall. What is incorrect about my comment?

There is no difference between RAA and any other sport. It's been user pays for years. Where have you been.

Didnt think driving on public roads was a sport?

There is a one company that has a corporate goal that nobody will be killed in one of their cars. This is a Company with the credibility to make the goal realistic.

V O L V O

For them it is not just a goal, they have a corporate strategy in place to make it happen and routinely measure their progress towards that goal.

The only two risks that come to mind of them not achieving their goal are that their new owner will not endorse the goal or that drivers will not but their cars because they are "too safe" and not fun to travel in.

Guest ozzie

That's a big ask for Volvo considering that their cars attract the most useless idiots that could be placed on the highway.

Hang on, I resemble that remark!

Best, most comfortable car I ever owned was the Volvo C30 T5.

529775324_Reserve1.JPG.51d02c64a3f647cc6f3bf89c26f3eb37.JPG

Volvo's plan is similar to that used for modern fighter aircraft that have a big brown dog as co-pilot. You know the one where the dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Informative 1

There is a one company that has a corporate goal that nobody will be killed in one of their cars. This is a Company with the credibility to make the goal realistic.V O L V O

For them it is not just a goal, they have a corporate strategy in place to make it happen and routinely measure their progress towards that goal.

The only two risks that come to mind of them not achieving their goal are that their new owner will not endorse the goal or that drivers will not but their cars because they are "too safe" and not fun to travel in.

Not fun? Try C30 T5 Polestar!! Now if only I could get that cockpit up into a Jab:cool:

That's a big ask for Volvo considering that their cars attract the most useless idiots that could be placed on the highway.

Ozzie, you are out of touch with modern motoring. The Volvo drivers of yor are now driving Audis, BMWs, Mercs, VW, Citroens, MGs, Alfas, Lexmarks, Subaru Tribecas and Foresters. The list goes on and so do the pains in the butt, but doddering along on a different planet and in a different car.

• Like 1

Zero fatalities works well as a personal goal.

Well said.

If you need someone to make legislation to stop you from killing yourself, then maybe society should just let go. I mean, really, if you need to be told to try harder not to kill yourself, what gains are there?

A good example is that ridiculous "Fatality Free Friday", in all seriousness, what imbecile believes that you should make just that bit more effort not to kill yourself on THAT Friday. Who got paid to come up with that crap?

Yes, I am well aware that I could easily be that dead idiot at the other end of that pointing finger, if I'm not careful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 2

Well said.If you need someone to make legislation to stop you from killing yourself, then maybe society should just let go. I mean, really, if you need to be told to try harder not to kill yourself, what gains are there?

The good legislation addresses bad habits and bad behaviour, and educates, just like we do in controlled environments, and it has worked well over the last dour decades where the legislation is a result of sound research. RBT is a good example which has saved thousands of lives.

A good example is that ridiculous "Fatality Free Friday", in all seriousness, what imbecile believes that you should make just that bit more effort not to kill yourself on THAT Friday. Who got paid to come up with that crap?

Agree totally, along with double points and the Police inspector telling us we behaved badly. In Victoria we have a monster in the TAC which spends millions of dollars every year, either without research, on on a basis I certainly can't relate to, eg

TV ad showing a girl with her head down concentrating on changing music followed by a crash - classic inattention, but the tag line was "Speed Kills"

Yes, I am well aware that I could easily be that dead idiot at the other end of that pointing finger, if I'm not careful.

And I bet you don't drive/fly along saying "I must be careful, I must be careful" Safe operation usually comes from valid training, good attitude and attention to the task in stead of that.

• Agree 1

Well said.If you need someone to make legislation to stop you from killing yourself, then maybe society should just let go. I mean, really, if you need to be told to try harder not to kill yourself, what gains are there?

If you make an extra effort every friday it will become ingrained for the other 6 days of the week. You will notice that kid running out of the shop with no conscious thought and stop your car just before you might run over him when he reaches the middle of the street.

One of the advantages of riding a pushbike or a motor bike is that you are away in the front of your mind that they are going to kill you so you develop a 6th sense about your suroundings. You even develop a 6th sense about what you bike is doing and this carries over into a car and even a plane.

Safety is a learned behaviour not something that you are born with - practise frequently, if not continuously.

• Agree 2

The good legislation addresses bad habits and bad behaviour, and educates, just like we do in controlled environments, and it has worked well over the last dour decades where the legislation is a result of sound research. RBT is a good example which has saved thousands of lives.

Agree totally, along with double points and the Police inspector telling us we behaved badly. In Victoria we have a monster in the TAC which spends millions of dollars every year, either without research, on on a basis I certainly can't relate to, eg

TV ad showing a girl with her head down concentrating on changing music followed by a crash - classic inattention, but the tag line was "Speed Kills"

And I bet you don't drive/fly along saying "I must be careful, I must be careful" Safe operation usually comes from valid training, good attitude and attention to the task in stead of that.

Good legislation stops you from harming others, if you need to be told not to hurt yourself, well, nothing is going to work.

Maybe I don't drive, ride and fly repeating "be careful", but I do continuously look for events, objects and such that, given the right sequence of events, harm me. (that includes preparation for such activities)

I do agree that much of our legislation appears to completely miss the mark. It was announced recently that Toowoomba has the worst drivers in the country, rating very highly with "failure to give way" and "collide with stationary object" as the highest numbers........betcha we get more speed cameras.

As far as Col's comment about if you try harder not to kill yourself for one day a week, it will become habit.....it clearly isn't working that way. Yes, safety is learned, as you can lead a horse to water.

Guest ozzie

Yeah Volvo's have changed a lot since the old tank built ones that were powered by the 4 cyl donkey engine with the bowling club hat on the parcel shelf. Shame really as it makes it hard to know who to avoid now.

Yeah Volvo's have changed a lot since the old tank built ones that were powered by the 4 cyl donkey engine with the bowling club hat on the parcel shelf. Shame really as it makes it hard to know who to avoid now.

Nah, it's still easy, if the badge says Subaru Forester or Hyundai Excel, you're going to have problems.

• Like 1

Nah, it's still easy, if the badge says Subaru Forester or Hyundai Excel, you're going to have problems.

Bugger off, I drive a Forester.

Volvo probably have changed, I remember my brother-in-law (most dangerous driver known to man, thankfully he lives in Victoria) - had 3 of those old square jobs and wrote off 2 of them. One he managed to roll about 6 times. Then he visited down here, borrowed my parent's Camira and wrote that off as well. Still, he's alive, no thanks to his abilities!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Around here we refer to rapid, unnecessary lane changing as "doing a BMW"

Poor bastard's probably just trying to find a way around a Forester or Excel......075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Haha 2

In the meantime, we haven't made it to next weekend and there's one splattered all over the ground.

You reckon you have access to real data about such events........really, how often is the guy changing lanes (legally but annoying), the actual root cause of the fatality?

On the motorway north from Sydney, I reckon unsafe lane changing is the most noticeable bad habit likely to cause a big pile up. I think most of them learn on playstation.

It's a long time since Volvo's were boxy but long wearing It was true about them though. Motorcyclists beware and they had a name for the owners going to old curiosity shops, but never buying anything. There's some bloke in the USA has a P 40 that's done over 2 million MILES with just rings and a couple of ballraces in the gearbox..

Modern cars are remarkably good but throw away if the crash cushions go off. and can cost heaps for repairs. You almost can't risk owning them out of warrantee..Nev

• Like 1