RA-Aus working with the Australian Institute of Business?

slb

Recreational Aviation Australia Doing Research

Recreational Aviation Australia is working with the Australian Institute of Business in undertaking research on why people get into, or don't get into, recreational flying. Help us out by answering this short survey, all responses are anonymous. Results will be shared in a future e-news

Did everyone receive this? The survey seemed to be all about RA-Aus, and not so much about why we all got in to flying.

Husband and I both got it (separate email addresses) - note that the link has unique codes - his was not the same as mine. I filled mine in, but trying over 2 days, can't get his to connect "Problem loading page - the server is taking too long to respond" which is usually a product of my slow internet connection (it happened twice before I got mine). The other suspicion is that it won't respond to two requests from the same computer. I was hoping to let him at it as his experience and views are quite different to mine.

As for the questions - surely they can work out your age after you just told them how old you were when you joined and what year? So you have to chose your current age. Several questions I had to answer "other" as the pre-selected responses were not applicable to me.

I guess they are trying to discover how to turn around a slowly dying membership base in the face of competition from RPL and other sports.

Sue

Several of the questions don't allow for multiple answers or the appropriate answer. I did my best with it, but think it could have been prepared more carefully

This is what I found too. Had to opt for 'other' in most cases. Seemed to be an awful lot of questions regarding safety and accidents.

I am guessing it may be that they have lost a lot of recreational flyers and are trying to find out why, but then why so many questions regarding RA-Aus and what they have done for you? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

"regarding RA-Aus and what they have done for you?"NOTHING.

NOTHING AT ALL.

Unless making a good design of plane LESS safe.

spacesailor

Interesting I feel that they have in part given me the ability to live my childhood dream. Admittedly with some small effort from me.

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

Nothing to read into this survey at all.....just the CEO doing what we pay him to do. More than likely part of the IT modernisation program looking at where best to put our dollars.

"regarding RA-Aus and what they have done for you?"NOTHING.

NOTHING AT ALL.

Unless making a good design of plane LESS safe.

spacesailor

Would you be flying without them, give them ago , casa would have your arse by now , maybe on the floor for good

• Like 1

Nothing to read into this survey at all.....just the CEO doing what we pay him to do. More than likely part of the IT modernisation program looking at where best to put our dollars.

Thanks Maj. Makes sense but I just wondered why it didn't come from RA-Aus themselves (working with the Australian Institute of Business). Survey Monkey can be used by anyone and for free in some cases.

Guest Maj Millard
I wonder how much came out of the members' pockets for what seems a vague survey?

The CEO has a spending account to an upper limit set and approved by the board. This is revenue he may use as he sees fit on our behalf...however he must of course account for all monies spent. The upper limit of this amount available to him is reviewed by the board at each board meeting, and has from memory only been increased once so far. If he has spent money on this survey ( which I doubt) it would be a minimal amount and for good benifit. There is nobody tighter than our current CEO I can assure you. A fishes arse would be no more watertight. All is fully accounted for and a way better set up than in the past . Michael is finalising his CPA degree so naturally would have a connection to the Ausralian Institute of Business ( as we would expect him to). Remember he ran the National RSPCA organization for ten years prior which is also a non- profit and received a couple of international awards for doing so.

Just the usual knockers again. Without RAAus most of us wouldn't be flying. Some of us fly GA so if asked what RAAus has done for them, the answer would be it enables them to fly cheaper, therefore more hours, therefore more current and safer. Years ago I gave up flying GA because of the difficulty of keeping current. The I found AUF and I now fly both RAAus and GA and have built 2 planes.

So RAAus has done a lot for me. I don't suppose the cost to RAAus is any more than some people spend on membership of a golf club, or others piss up against the wall.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Just the usual knockers again. Without RAAus most of us wouldn't be flying. Some of us fly GA so if asked what RAAus has done for them, the answer would be it enables them to fly cheaper, therefore more hours, therefore more current and safer. Years ago I gave up flying GA because of the difficulty of keeping current. The I found AUF and I now fly both RAAus and GA and have built 2 planes.So RAAus has done a lot for me. I don't suppose the cost to RAAus is any more than some people spend on membership of a golf club, or others piss up against the wall.

Couldn't agree more Yenn, I sometimes suspect that amount of whining is inversely proportional to the hours flown

• Haha 1

Rodr: I'm not flying,

The answer to the Basic test on" what causes icing" that I failed was " Moisture in the air", nothing to do with carburetors or cooling engines on glide decent.

Darwin must be terrible for icing and an Antarctic valley with it very low moisture content would be very safe.

spacesailor

Guest Maj Millard
Rodr: I'm not flying,The answer to the Basic test on" what causes icing" that I failed was " Moisture in the air", nothing to do with carburetors or cooling engines on glide decent.

Darwin must be terrible for icing and an Antarctic valley with it very low moisture content would be very safe.

spacesailor

Main causes....High dew point and high Humidity. In clear air is possible, you don't need visible moisture ( cloud) for carb iceing.. Also in my experience suspended moisture ( water) in pumped fuel can and will contribute to carb icing.

The driest places on earth are the poles and the deserts, and high altitude. If the dew point of the airmass is high enough you have a lot of moisture available. Tropical Maritime air has the highest actual moisture giving the energy of tropical cyclones . Cloud base gives a basic rough indication of relative humidity in the area Wet and dry bulb temp indications are also useful particularly, for fog possibility, especially in the time just before dawn. Nev

Main causes....High dew point and high Humidity. In clear air is possible, you don't need visible moisture ( cloud) for carb iceing.. Also in my experience suspended moisture ( water) in pumped fuel can and will contribute to carb icing.

Ok, I'm now confused.

Why is icing more likely at moderately high humidities than at very high humidity?

Also, a high dew point does not lead to icing, at least according to the CASA charts. Peak carb icing probability is with dewpoints of -3 to 16C, with the shape of the curve suggesting (but without clear evidence demonstrating) a peak at around 7C.

The higher humidity provides more water, but you still have to cool to freeze point to get ice. The drop in temperature is caused by the latent heat of evaporation of the fuel in the carburetter, and the adiabatic expansion of the gases in the carburetter .Nev

• Informative 1