Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

these are the only photos i have of Ross from the early days of jumping. Watching accuracy landings, Ross in the red shorts and Ross coming in to land under an original Jalbert Parafoil. These were taken at Wilton now known as Picton Drop Zone.

Untitled-5.jpg.a4ee22ecbf739553510aa7b580a110ce.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg.01dc92359988201d67d5e60877b13300.jpg

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At this stage I still can`t find the words to express what I feel other than to say, I`ve known Ross for many years, way back from the days that he came to the FNQUA, fly-in, Christmas parties at Pioneer Valey, on the Atherton Tablelands.My deepest sympathy to family,friends and all those touched by the accident.

Not the best photo but it`s of a better, happier time, spent with Ross, on what he called "Franks favourite beach"...Ross on the right, Pud on the left.

RIP, Ross. Glad to have had you in my life.

Frank.

And Franko,

We have now lost both Ross and Pud, interestingly standing side by side in your photo; Pud from cancer just a couple of months ago and now Rosco in this tragic accident ... together again ..........

• Like 4

My favourite aviation novel is "Fate is the Hunter", by Ernest K. Gann. In this memoir of the early days of transcontinental and then intercontinental aviation , his message was that many of his colleagues, highly talented aviators, had died tragically as a result of factors beyond their control. Our passion with flying is both majestic and fateful and we accept the risk for the magnificent obsession it is. RIP and we salute you Ross Millard. But for the sake of unknowable fortune we may join you. Don

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Winner 1

together again ..........

Yes David, We would like to think so.

On that occasion, Ross flew up from Townsville, to our property, to meet Pud and his friends, who had traveled up from Perth, through, 'Australia`s Longest Shortcut', ending their journey by camping here for a few days... I had the opportunity to take both, Pud and his wife Gay, flying in the Drifter.

Frank.

• Like 5

Ross on the right, Pud on the left

Both super aviators gone within three months! Should there be a great here-after and if those two wags get together there, I doubt there'll be much peace around. Never got to shake the Major's hand but in many communications over the years he became and always will be considered a true friend. A great loss to us all. Sincere and heartfelt condolences to Ross's family.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

?temp_hash=c21147ff197473dc2d48298b391f6af9

A TOWNSVILLE pilot killed in a light plane crash at Woodstock yesterday was a larrikin who “lived and breathed” flying, according to friends.

Ross Millard, 64, died when his LightWing light aircraft crashed after take-off at Ace Aviation’s private airfield at 6.40am.

Mr Millard, Recreational Aviation Australia’s North Queensland board member, had been flying for more than 45 years.

He had cheated death once previously, surviving a crash in the Northern Territory in 1974 in which two people died after a skydiving plane suffered “major engine power loss”.

Devastated friends yesterday remembered Mr Millard as someone who dedicated his life to improving aviation safety standards.

“He is a very experienced man and had flown all types of aircraft for many years so this a catastrophic loss,” fellow Woodstock pilot Ray Horn.

“He had done a lot of unpaid work through the ultralight fraternity because he was that passionate about flying.

“If I needed an inspection on my plane, he would be the man I go to because he took safety very seriously.

“There was every chance he was flying a plane he had been doing inspections on and I understand it was about ready for a test flight.”

Mr Millard was a contract aircraft maintainer and aviation consultant across the North and was a member of Ingham Aero Club.

He had previously worked as an aircraft engineer for Air Whitsunday Seaplanes and TransAir in California, as well as a technician for the Royal Australian Air Force.

North Queensland Aviation Services owner Mary Brown said Mr Millard was known as “little buddy” around Ingham and was an upbeat, outgoing man.

“He was very pro-active at promoting in aviation in this region,” she said.

“Ross always strived for the highest standard of aircraft maintenance and always promoted good, safe aviation.

“He was very well known, an absolute unique character and a bit of a larrikin and it’s so tragic we’ve lost him, but he died doing what he loved.”

Woodstock’s Donnington Airpark owner Ray Smith said the crash was a terrible loss for the ultralight industry.

“I had known Ross for several years and always found him to be a good sort of fellow to know

and I have never heard anyone say a bad word against him,” Mr Smith said.

“We had nothing in the way of wind here so flying conditions would have been perfect.”

Mr Millard was involved in the investigation of two planes that crashed near Woodstock in February, killing pilots Errol Young and Robin Friend.

“We all accept normal risks when we fly,” Mr Millard said at the time.

An investigation into the crash has begun and a report will be prepared for the coroner and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/tributes-flow-for-crash-victim/story-fnjfzs4b-1227628056376

image.jpg.88d8ca1d103cbef4c936685cdb7faccf.jpg

Ross Millard, 64, died when his LightWing light aircraft crashed after take-off at Ace Aviation’s private airfield at 6.40am.

“There was every chance he was flying a plane he had been doing inspections on and I understand it was about ready for a test flight.”

Does anyone know if Ross was flying his LghtWing?

• Agree 2

Haven't been around much, busy life and kids had taken centre stage. I saw the crash on the ABC news yesterday morning and while an accident is never good news, this one struck a chord instantly. Even then I avoided logging in to the forum for a day, not wanting to know about it.

Like so many others, I had never met Maj in person, but enjoyed many discussions over the last few years. He will be greatly missed.

912 80 hP I think she was know as princess I think she been around for some time Marty wheeler owned her she is a ga model single struts and speed wing with flaps my understanding she was build with an 80 hP Rotax only a few where made

• Informative 1

RIP Ross old mate, we had many a good chat, i'll miss you and your wisdom. You where always available when i wanted advice or a chat, even if I did spew in your plane going to Monto.I'm getting to the point of wondering if this is worth it.... we've lost so many good people in the last few years, which has contributed to my no longer flying.

What a senseless waste of human life.

I have been thinking the same Brad. I have been giving it some real thought and I think that it is time for me to hang up the headset for good.

Over the last couple of years I have only been averaging an hour per month which is just barely remaining current.

What scares me is that we have lost some very experienced pilots with thousands of hours and who fly multiple times per week.What chances have I got with my currency? Not much I reckon.

Besides motorcycle riding takes up a lot of my time and I have been doing that for 35 years.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

I have been thinking the same Brad. I have been giving it some real thought and I think that it is time for me to hang up the headset for good.Over the last couple of years I have only been averaging an hour per month which is just barely remaining current.

What scares me is that we have lost some very experienced pilots with thousands of hours and who fly multiple times per week.What chances have I got with my currency? Not much I reckon.

Besides motorcycle riding takes up a lot of my time and I have been doing that for 35 years.

I often do think the same but i look back and what happened to past friends , one guy we used to fly with wrote off to scout aircraft ,two kestrel aircraft then mastered it , then became a high hour light wing pilot crashed it in the river at the end of his 300 metre stirp 912 engine failed one day , then later lost the gsc prop on the way back from the factory rebuild landed in a field . Then years later was has having a full on domestic with he,s wife when landed and then ended up crashing his lightwing into a tree with both on board . both walked away .there also so many other things he got away with and was bullet proof . What got him in the end was cancer he rooted away in hospital in he,s early 60"s and his x wife did the same about 18 months before him . I have lost a lot more friends from non flying as well .

cheers dan

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

I have been thinking the same Brad. I have been giving it some real thought and I think that it is time for me to hang up the headset for good.

dazza, just using your statement to make my point.

I have always and will continue, never to not allow someone else`s accident influence my confidence or ability. I have always tried to learn from each accident and move on. This is what I taught when I was instructing.

In my opinion, being under confident can be as deadly as being over confident. It is up to each and every one of us flying, to be totally honest with ourselves and not push the bounadries of our ability.

I think it would be fair to say, Ross would not have wanted anyone to stop flying because of his accident, however, it is up to each of us to make the decision to fly or not to fly and never allow anyone else to influence that decision.

Shortly, I will go up for a fly, in honor of Ross.

Frank.

• Like 6
  • Agree 12
  • Winner 2

I have been thinking the same Brad. I have been giving it some real thought and I think that it is time for me to hang up the headset for good.Over the last couple of years I have only been averaging an hour per month which is just barely remaining current.

Hi Dazza,

I think Ross would be greatly saddened to think his accident would prompt people to give up the pastime he loved. I think he would be saying "Learn from my mistake - NEVER turn back, but don't give up flying...." He knew flying has risk associated with it - but so does just about everything else. Driving a car, riding a motorbike, hell, in Australia doing the gardening in your back yard there are spiders and snakes that could kill you! He would probably advocate that instead of doing that scenic coastal flight you had planned for next week you should grab an instructor for an hour and head to the training area to practice stalls, steep turns, etc, then head back to the airfield and practice go-arounds, sideslipping, EFATO, or just about anything you haven't done since your last BFR, or even since getting your certificate. The more we practice doing stuff we might need for real when the mud hits the fan the more likely we are to react under stress as per our training.

I will not be giving up flying, but next time I take off I will be thinking of Ross, in fact I will probably be thinking about him every time I take off from now on...

We are all on this site because we love flying, it would be very sad if we stopped.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Agree 19
  • Winner 5