Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"the engine failure after take off" pre take off brief might not be enough, or might be the wrong way to go about preparing one self for an actual EFATO. all i can say is there are some very experienced pilots working with some well known and academically accredited psychologists working on the problem.

I have always, and still verbally give myself a pre take off brief, including intended flight paths to take in the event of an EFATO.. but this might not be enough, as evidence by the fact that we are still losing good pilots to this phenomenon.

RIP Ross,

what a great video,ive never seen this before,great video to show a little bit of what recreational flying is like.from what ive heard on here of his life and his experiences he told me about with his lightwing and other aviation interests he certainly has given his life to the sport and to helping others.

• Like 1

Apparently Ross was test flying a GA Lightwing...they have a smaller wing and are a little faster I believe. If my memory serves me Ross said they had some handling quirks that set them apart from the GR model. But regardless of any of that... this accident has all the hallmarks of pilot error. For some this is a hard thing to face when it is someone who commands the legendary stature amongst pilots that Ross did...but there it is. Personally I don't see it as an attack on a mate by talking about this... I think it would be a slap in the face if we weren't honest. Anyone can make a mistake.

True...it is early days yet...but the reported facts, as sparse as they are support this currently.

• Agree 7
  • Informative 1

From all above I would like to put some things on the table.

If you assume you are all WRONG.

This could have been caused by a number of factors or one that has nothing to do with a turn back with an engine shut down.

So just stop guessing and wait - instead of some above "knowing it all from the lounge chair at this point of time".

Some other factors that can be included are:

FIRST - It may have been a medical problem.

SECOND - Partial engine failure (WHICH IS ACCEPTABLE UPON CERTAIN CRITERIA) - (don't start I know its a piece of string)

THIRD - Control Failure

FOURTH - Partial Structural Failure

Fifth - AND SOMETINES NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW WHY.

I am sure new pilots will be looking at this a saying what in hell is going on. Flying is safe and getting safer with knowledge, training and EXPERIENCE

The best way to pay tribute to Ross (whom I did not know I am sad to say) is to go flying on the weekend in his honor! AND gain more knowledge!

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

I was wondering when the thread would start to discuss the cause and reason, I have been thinking of it since i found out.

Several things to consider why he decided to turn back.

It may have been a partial and he initially had the height. I wonder if he was climbing out on runway heading or had turned 30 40 degrees off to allow an easier turn back.

Was the terrain so crappy that it really made sense to turn back.

Ross was involved in a similar accident in a C182 that killed the pilot and jumper and severely injured him. Flashbacks maybe. Never sure how the brain responds in situations.

Ross was flying another pilots aircraft maybe the pressure not to damage it was high on his mind.

Stated that this particular model had different handling/ stall characteristics. Comes down to familiarity and currency on type.

Early in the day. Big/ late night before.

Age, never know and autopsy will clear this up.

Hope the investigation comes up with the answers we all need to move on.

Keep the discussion cool and sensible troops, lot of emotion running here.

Blue skies.

"Engine failure on take-off, land straight ahead" Bill drummed that proceedure into me when doing my training and if you look at any of the videos I have done I do it every single time so it is in the front of your mind always at takeoff. I do it today and will do it every time I fly. I think it is at least another way to help in the situation.

I don't know if I,m right or wrong ,but has anyone posting on here about landing straight ahead or the impossible turn ever flown out of stark field before? on the end of the strip where Ross,s accident occurred is some very big, very dence big gumtrees that used to scare the bewillyss out of me whilst I was training there and the thought often passed my mind on climb out that if I had to go straight into them it would be like pointing it at a brick wall and hoping for the softess bricks and I secretly always looked out the side sometimes to see how I would manage a turn as the lesser of two evils......just my personal opinion, but maybe this had some bearing on this accident??

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Informative 6

I like many others I never knew Ross but via this forum felt like I did. It was a shock to me and occupied my mind all day on Sunday so I can't even imagine how those of you who knew him personally feel.

Without the privilege of having known Ross, I thought I would share a story of a very similar crash which claimed the life of a family member in Canada. This person was a life long aviator. A safety focused pilot with a huge amount of skill and experience. He was also an instructor and well known in aviation circles. When news broke of the crash, at first everyone assumed it was the student who had somehow caused the crash (it was a tandem open cockpit). As the evidence started to be compiled, it was eventually undeniable that he was flying and that it was a classic efato accident.

My point is, as hard as it is to accept, there is a difference between knowing and practicing what the right thing to do is and how things actually play out when that moment is right in front of you. Maybe it was a partial failure, maybe it was the terrain, maybe Ross thought about efato procedures on 99% of flights he made and this was the 1% for one reason or another.

One thing I know for sure is that if Maj was here, he'd be the first one to talk us through what happened in an attempt to teach us something. Unfortunately we won't have that privilege ever again, but all of these discussions are good in that they may prompt people to think about things differently and that may make them safer pilots.

So as you think your way through what happened, instead of trying to work out which specific thing lead to this accident, think about all the various risk factors that could have played a part and if there is anything you can learn from each and every one of them. If that makes you a safer pilot, I reckon maj would be happy.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Winner 3

Thanks fo

Yes Don the crash happened at Starke airfield.cheers Ian

Thanks the ägree Ian, and my post was just my own experience at starke field as those big white ghost gums always put the wind up me until I had at least 300 on the alt as there is really nowhere to go under that height

Have just returned to Taree from a weekend of relatives and late nights (no news), to find this.

I've only met Ross a couple of times, but after knowing each other here at Rec'flying, the first time was like meeting an old mate.

A kindred spirit for flying and seaplane maintenance, and fellow Lightwing aficionado.

Now, totally gutted, a hollow feeling within, and yet..

In three and a half thousand hours, and ninety odd ultralights, yes, I've had problems and I'm guilty of turning back at least a couple of times.

It's that split second decision you have to make, and even with years of telling yourself and your students 'don't turn back', you know you can describe that point from where you can turn back, and even demonstrate it!

BUT, it only takes a few minor parameter changes to lead you into the wrong decision.

I look back on my turn backs, and always think, WHY?

As mentioned before, I don't think Ross would want any of us to step away from flying after this, but instead look closer at our currency, planning and environment (airstrip surrounds and the like), and keep practicing, not just complacently joy riding.

RIP Ross, and condolences to family.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

I'm saddened by this news. We always expect it to be inexperienced pilots coming down, yet over the last few years we have lost a lot of very experienced people. I think the take home message is, flying is inherently dangerous and we all fly knowing the risks. I'm sure that Ross understood the risks perfectly and as a result flew safely for decades. We don't yet know what went wrong here but it is a salient reminder that we must all be on our best game each time we fly and even then tragedies can still happen.

This thread is a great tribute to a top guy.

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Dazza- hang up whatever you feel appropriate- but Ross's demise on Sunday just gone was - some would say- predicable, very sadly. My old PPL instructor, who had known Ross for many years up here, said it was a 'matter of when, not if.'

He had a wealth of experience in absolutely every aspect of aviation , military and civilian, and told us so at every opportunity . The last time I heard Ross holding court was about the dreaded EFATO, and how many stupid 'badly trained idiots' had done just what he did last Sunday morning and died. This was witnessed by a number of spectators including some private pilots- so to those who would leap straight to the "awaiting the results of the inquest/enquiry brigade " this is cut and dried folks - even though not 'legally'

Various contributers to this thread have expressed dismay at this event and opined tha we need to'tighten up training procedures' - they are fine - our training in this field is perfect. Ross - operating from Starke Field 8kms up the road from my shared airstrip, was hugely experienced , very opinionated and rather arrogant , I believe turned back because his long experience made him believe he could outfly the laws of physics. I humbly have no idea how I would react to the same scenario - I would probably die.

Stake Field is not a venue for an EFATO- but at least the direction ahead of him( to the north ) had clear areas to carry out a forced landing.

This awful event, that has traumatised many, should remind all of us that experience , flying hours, and having the 'right stuff' is not necessarily going to guarantee our survival.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Informative 5

I did not know Ross apart from through his robust posts on this forum. It is sad to lose a fellow aviator whatever the circumstances. My condolances to his family and friends.

There will be a sad (bad?) day for every aviator when either:

They will climb into their aircraft knowing this will be their last flight; or

They will climb into their aircraft NOT knowing this will be their last flight.

It is difficult to decide which is the worst scenario.

Safe and happy flying

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A quote from one of the hundreds of emails he sent me .. In re guards to spending 3 weeks working with me on my book.. I had sent him a long thank you message about how I couldn't offer him anything and told him my runway is his runway and the key is under the Mat. His reply.

"Mate a nice signed copy would be good, but no hurry...helping you will get me going again to finish mine...only done 11 chapters so far..I would like to get it done this year if I can...I have a lot of UL flying to cover in CA yet.

If I see something that I think is going to work I like to get behind it and help..that's why I jumped in as board member when I did, and the RAA is just happening right now...should be a good year I reckon.

I would love to visit you sometime for sure...we could jam a bit also.....lol

Ross Millard. RAAus 010233"

I believe he had finished a few more chapters?

he also talked about us doing a display together , he hoped to drag his Ww-1replica out of storage , fit a 503 to it and do battle. Yes he did tell me ,my nieuport stood no chance against his formidable Albatross.....LoL

Also just recently I sent him my self produced music CD Album

His review was very humbling and appreciated . We won't get to have that jam we talked about..

And last month he sent email pushing me to go ahead with my independent movie ,based on my book ( the book edited by Ross)... I have started the movie and will continue it.

Thanks for all your help Albc.1

• Like 5

My sincerest sympathies go out to Ross's family. For they are the ones most devastated by Ross's passing.

Like the long list of others who have added to this sad thread, I am deeply affected. I too have been questioning whether to hang up my headset. But then I remind myself that for all of us, life on Earth is filled with risk. That applies whether we take part in adventurous activities or not. We all do our best to mitigate risk. But we cannot tell when our time will come, so I believe we should embrace life and our passions as Ross has done. Otherwise we are wasting the gift of life.

I know that next time I watch the ground dropping away as I rise into the air, I will be very much feeling connected with Ross and thinking of him. I will not give up flying nor motorcycling. Nor any other adventuring. Like all of us, including Ross, I will be trying to keep the holes from lining up in my 'Swiss cheese'

Thank you Ross, for all that you have enriched our lives with, even though I didn't get to meet you in person.

Peter

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Dazza- hang up whatever you feel appropriate- but Ross's demise on Sunday just gone was - some would say- predicable, very sadly. My old PPL instructor, who had known Ross for many years up here, said it was a 'matter of when, not if.'He had a wealth of experience in absolutely every aspect of aviation , military and civilian, and told us so at every opportunity . The last time I heard Ross holding court was about the dreaded EFATO, and how many stupid 'badly trained idiots' had done just what he did last Sunday morning and died. This was witnessed by a number of spectators including some private pilots- so to those who would leap straight to the "awaiting the results of the inquest/enquiry brigade " this is cut and dried folks - even though not 'legally'

Various contributers to this thread have expressed dismay at this event and opined tha we need to'tighten up training procedures' - they are fine - our training in this field is perfect. Ross - operating from Starke Field 8kms up the road from my shared airstrip, was hugely experienced , very opinionated and rather arrogant , I believe turned back because his long experience made him believe he could outfly the laws of physics. I humbly have no idea how I would react to the same scenario - I would probably die.

Stake Field is not a venue for an EFATO- but at least the direction ahead of him( to the north ) had clear areas to carry out a forced landing.

This awful event, that has traumatised many, should remind all of us that experience , flying hours, and having the 'right stuff' is not necessarily going to guarantee our survival.

Docjell,

I thank you for your brutally honest assessment.

Arrogance is each our own nemesis and mortal enemy, usually it comes from overconfidence, a human frailty. There but for the grace of God go any of us.

Loved by many, popular to so many, a great contributor and willing to be a friend to any genuine person, our mate was human and frail to the end like all of us.

I have to agree totally with your closing line "This awful event, that has traumatised many, should remind all of us that experience, flying hours, and having the 'right stuff' is not necessarily going to guarantee our survival."

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

"Arrogance" is demonstrated by one's actions. A close friend of mine who has been flying ultralights since the early days recently suffered EFATO. He was the sole occupant and elected to turn back to the field from a height of 400ft. He landed successfully with no damage to his aircraft or himself. In similar situation, being the sole occupant, Ross did the same thing. Who can say whether, in the same circumstances, any one of us would be able to overcome the natural reaction to avoid crashing into seriously threatening vegetation? I've been around aviation for 40 years and many highly accomplished pilots exhibit characteristics of arrogance. It may be a quality that goes with the territory. Let's not judge too quickly. Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

The problem is NOT a piloting one.. It's a psychological issue. It's the way we are wired, and there isn't much we can do about it.. I've maintained for a long time that we are not training for this correctly. Ross agreed with me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2

How long is the strip at Stark Airfield?

From the Ace Aviation website "Starkie Air Field is an airstrip is located 20nm south of Townsville at Woodstock. It has a 1100 meter long 24 meter wide main grass strip 15/33 and a 610 meter long 20 meter wide cross strip 08/26. The strip is mainly used as a ultra light and micro light aircraft."