Tiger Moth Crash on Gold Coast

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1995675408_tigermoth1.jpg.010f12405f666db50ea3f26082e96679.jpg

This is the aircraft involved, took this at the Tiger Moth air race last year when it was the first to touch down on the Sunday of the race. Another sad day.

Condolences to the family of the pax

Let's hope the pilot is going to be ok also and thoughts to his family

Anytime of the year is a tragedy for these outcomes but this time of year is especially hard on the families for years to come

• Agree 4

Passenger received the flight as a Christmas present.

RIP. Thinking of his family and friends.

Hope Ryan is on the mend.

I loved my time flying the Tiger Moth

Such a beautiful machine

Fly Safe

RW

THE pilot involved in a fatal plane crash in Pimpama this morning has been identified as Ryan Campbell, who once held the record as the youngest pilot to fly solo around the world.

The 21-year-old from Merimbula piloted a Tiger Moth aircraft that crashed in bushland off Green Meadows Drv this morning, which claimed the life of 58-year-old passenger, Coutts Crossing resident Gary Turnbull.

Mr Campbell is currently conscious in the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane with serious injuries.

He has been working for Tiger Moth Joy Rides for less than a month as the operations manager.

It is believed the Tiger Moth joy ride was a Christmas present to Mr Turnbull from his daughters.

Tragically one of his daughters was watching on from the Tiger Moth hangar when the aircraft crashed.

Police have confirmed Mr Campbell dialled 000 to alert authorities of the crash himself.

Mr Campbell made headlines in 2013 when he achieved the world record as the youngest pilot ever to fly solo around the world, and was also the first teenager to complete the feat.

He did it in 70 days, making 34 stops in 15 countries and spending 200 hours in the air.

He flew around the world in his plane Spirit of the Sapphire Coast, after working with adventurer Dick Smith and Ken Evers of Bendigo, who had also flown around the world.

Mr Campbell spends his spare time talking to teens on school tours as a motivational speaker.

He also raises money to help get other youngsters involved in aviation as he worked at a local supermarket when he was 14 to spend his earnings on flying lessons.

Kenneth Evers, who flew around the world in 2010, nominated Mr Campbell for the Pride of Australia Young Leader Medal last year.

He also met the Duke of Cambridge, Prince William, after he broke the world record when he was 19.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/famous-young-pilot-hurt-in-fatal-plane-crash-at-pimpama/story-fnj94idh-1227690521307

Thanks for that Robbo. Nice to know the background. Hope for a good recovery for Ryan and so tragic for the daughters. I hope they don't blame themselves in any way. No one can anticipate these outcomes. Nev

• Agree 4

Gary was one of my flying mates from way back....we learned in a Drifter at South Grafton about the same time, both into bikes and we both flew paragliders together. Sad loss to a lovely family.

• Informative 1

Had the pleasure of listening to Ryan speaking at a dinner in Nhill recently.

Very impressive young man with a really engaging manner.

I sincerely hope he can recover from his injuries and continue to give aviation the benefit of his great talent.

RIP Gary Turnbull.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ryan is going to be okay, he has sustained injuries but it could have been a lot worse.His parents and brothers have flown up to be by his side

Andy Campbell, who is also an experienced pilot and the owner of Merimbula Air Services, said the crash occurred just after take-off and the aircraft had not reached any great altitude."If the aircraft suffers loss of power at low altitude and you're forced to land the plane the window of opportunity you have to make decisions is extremely limited," he said.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/merimbula-pilot-ryan-campbell-critical-after-tiger-moth-crash-20151228-glw1g6

engine failure

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pilot-blames-engine-failure-for-fatal-tiger-moth-crash-on-the-gold-coast/news-story/a983c442bd6e3104316a8eeb62b79bcb

the Aholes in the media contacted the partner of the women killed 2 years ago in a tiger moth for a comment? talking about rubbing salt into the wounds

engine failurehttp://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pilot-blames-engine-failure-for-fatal-tiger-moth-crash-on-the-gold-coast/news-story/a983c442bd6e3104316a8eeb62b79bcb

the Aholes in the media contacted the partner of the women killed 2 years ago in a tiger moth for a comment? talking about rubbing salt into the wounds

Trivialize, sensationalize, editorialize ... That's what we get instead of news from the corporate media.

• Agree 2

The media is nothing if not entirely predictable. However it takes two to tango. He could've said "sod off you insensitive b*stards I don't want to talk about it, how dare you call me?". Yet he sat down and had a chat with them. Hard to blame them for that. There was clearly some sort of mutual agreement there......

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Not necessarily dutch. What you say and ask for may have little effect on what they print. There is no signed agreement , and a verbal assurance isn't worth the paper it's written on. They are interested in selling papers and sensationalism is an essential part of it. Truth isn't. Nev

• Agree 1

They are already talking like this >

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau are investigating the incident and will pass their findings onto the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, who then decide whether the pilot is fit enough to keep his license.

To me this means that he is already been declared unfit to hold a licence and he must PROVE himself fit.

This type of attitude really pisses me off !

You dont see this with a car accident, if he passes the alcohol testing and no drugs etc then its called for what it is "AN ACCIDENT" no talk of seeing if he is fit to keep driving and all this crap.

Do you not think this might be related to his injuries?

I mean, he was taken to ICU from the accident site and he was described as suffering from serious spinal injuries.

As my wife (a former Air Force DAME) just said.......you don't get taken to ICU with serious spinal injuries for no reason, and you can expect to have a significant question mark over your future fitness to fly!

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

They are already talking like this >The Australian Transport Safety Bureau are investigating the incident and will pass their findings onto the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, who then decide whether the pilot is fit enough to keep his license.

To me this means that he is already been declared unfit to hold a licence and he must PROVE himself fit.

This type of attitude really pisses me off !

You dont see this with a car accident, if he passes the alcohol testing and no drugs etc then its called for what it is "AN ACCIDENT" no talk of seeing if he is fit to keep driving and all this crap.

You're not quite right asmol.

There are very significant differences between the standard required for a Private licence and for a Commercial licence.

For example - during my helicopter training I, like everyone else doing it, had to practice engine failures in all sorts of situations. For a private licence the requirement is that you be able to get the machine on the ground after an engine failure without there being any fatalities. It's accepted that there may be minor injuries and it's accepted that the machine may be destroyed. In essence, following an engine failure in any situation (hovering, after take-off, in cruise, in the circuit, on final, while hover-taxiing etc) as long as you can get the machine back on the ground arriving at a low speed, then you have done sufficient.

The standard for a commercial licence is quite different. In any of the examples given above you must nominate an exact place where you will land the machine under auto-rotation, and you must land it exactly on that spot with no damage to the machine.

Similar is the case for aeroplane private and commercial licences but I gave the helicopter example because I have a commercial helicopter licence but only a private aeroplane licence, so I can't speak authoritatively about what is required in the aeroplane commercial flight training and testing.

Further - an engine failure doesn't result in an accident. It either results in a successful landing, which should always be the case if you have commercial training and licence, or it results in a crash. Regrettably this one was a crash which resulted in a paying passenger's loss of life. If you were the brother or father of that paying passenger wouldn't you think it would be appropriate for the commercial pilot's credentials to carry passengers for hire and reward, to be examined following an incident which, on first appearances, should perhaps have resulted in no more than an off-field glide landing?

While I was Chief Pilot of an operation in Darwin one of my (commercial) line pilots ran out of fuel in the Darwin Control Zone without declaring an emergency, and had a forced landing into a swamp - with some damage to the machine. There were two passengers and no-one was hurt but the pilot's licence was immediately suspended as a matter of course, pending further examination of the circumstances. In the final event the pilot's licence was cancelled and the pilot had to attend counselling, re-sit the commercial BAK exam, and complete a full commercial flight test before the licence could be re-validated. That pilot was lucky to avoid a lengthy suspension, fine, and/or potentially, gaol time ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I thought medical condition had nothing to do with your pilot's licence. Medical problems will stop you getting your medical, you still hold your licence unless CASA take it away from you for other reasons. In this case "fit" to hold a licence may have nothing to do with medical condition.

• Agree 1