Tiger Moth Crash on Gold Coast

I remember reading one account of how his dad acquired the family tiger moth in 1946, the RCAF was having a clearing sale at one of their training bases, his dad bought a tiger moth for pennies in the dollar, the rest they pushed into a hangar and set alight. Not hard to see why so many trained in tiger moths.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments relate to a time when most pilots trained on the Tiger and had a lot of time including spin training done on them. They spin very predictably, and people used to be able to pull them out on nominated heading. Not by compass but visual reference. A low level spin entry is usually very nose down and more damaging, as the spin would be more flat in a fully developed spin.

A steep nose down impact at any real speed will compress the front and the engine come back into the cockpit area The fuselage is steel tube in the australian ones and some are reinforced for flick manoeuvers. This probably makes the rear section less likely to compress in a nose impact and makes the front damage more extensive..Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

that's his story, not mine.

Its plausible because it is the cheapest, fastest way to get rid of the accumulated junk that you get in an airbase. Imagine how many bent and worn out tiger moths they would have accumulated over 6 years of training

that's his story, not mine.Its plausible because it is the cheapest, fastest way to get rid of the accumulated junk that you get in an airbase. Imagine how many bent and worn out tiger moths they would have accumulated over 6 years of training

I can certainly remember when the price for a Tiger Moth in the UK was 120 quid. Sadly I didn't have 120 quid at that point, or the initiative to scrape it together.

Yes It would cost you more to build an R/C model. About 950 dollars/pounds?? at Fawcett's at Camden with a rebuild engine, and as low as 450 for something with some hours left on it. in the late 50's Nev

My dad was best mates with a bloke named Geoge Louis in Griffith. George flew a Tiger and Dad was an ex- navigator/ air gunner who wished he had been a pilot. We spent a lot of time watching Tigers on the weekend and dad said that he should have bought one for 75 pounds after the war. I gues that is what George had paid.

• Agree 1

I spent some time at Temora before it became what it is today. It then still had the old foundations of the old training base buildings and in the aero club there was an aerial photo of the base during the war. 99 Tiger Moths tied down and the photo was taken by the hundreth one. I studied the photo and found the rubbish dump and the maintenance area which was open air and just fenced off with hessian cloth. Behind it was an open trench that all the worn parts were tossed into. I was there for some weeks doing some skydiving and flying and in between things spent a lot of the spare time digging up old parts and interesting things. The drains in the old shower blocks produced some old coins and metal badges and other bits and pieces. The rubbish dump was a bit of a time capsule as the town had used it after the war for a few years. Alas never did find the so called treasure of new boxed engine parts one of the old locals said was tossed into one of the trenches after the war.

Canada was the main training base for the empire. If you have a look at most of the British war birds and trainers that survive today, the majority have some connection to Canada.

Great Uncle Raymond trained with the RCAF as a Navigator/Waist Gunner in WW2, before deploying to England and being shot down over southern Germany.

More RNZAF pilots trained in Canada than did in NZ, beyond the initial solo anyway, and nearly all crew training was done there as there weren't many bombers and other large crewed aircraft assigned here in NZ for training roles.

I think it was the middle hanger in that photo that was the only building left when i was there, had an addition on the side for the club. All changed now from photos i've seen. When we where looking for a place to train (1993) with good weather the met guys said Temora was the place. Stable weather and mostly fog free compared to surrounding areas. The town folk were great and when the team took off to practice a big canopy stack (CRW) many drove out to watch. The towns support was a big reason the team won gold at the world meet.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some work out of Temora in 06.. The local cabbie was a legend.

Think there were remnets of an old caravan park?? But was preety bare when I was there.

Look out for the drunk granny that hits on pilots and engineers at the local pub!!! 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Typical overkill. Did asbestos removal on B206's, all suited up in the middle of summer,a in separate hangar, all to remove gaskets an P clamps that might have had asbestos in them. Some possibly installed the week prior, all in good condition, usually covered in oil. No friable asbestos to be seen.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Typical overkill. Did asbestos removal on B206's, all suited up in the middle of summer,a in separate hangar, all to remove gaskets an P clamps that might have had asbestos in them. Some possibly installed the week prior, all in good condition, usually covered in oil. No friable asbestos to be seen.

Agreed. Heck, the mats over the bunsen burners in school chemistry labs used to be asbestos, as were all manner of things like foundry gloves.

We seem to be missing out the key question of degree too often nowadays, when considering relative danger?

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1