Barwon Heads accident

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True Yenn, but it's just a shorthand use of English.

Not too many people studied précis in English at school. I did, and was still picked up on a statement by someone on this forum.

Social media, and media generally with it's requirement for minimum words leads to this.

Off topic, but speaking of English, the Radio news repeated several times yesterday that a man has died after his body was found in a car washed away by floods.

He did well to survive until after his body was found!

• Haha 1

The witness saw the plane impact the water at very low altitude. I would have been surprised if it impacted water at high altitude!

Perhaps I should have written (and the witness should have stated):

The plane was seen flying at very low altitude. A short while later it impacted the water.

But I think we all knew the intended meaning..........

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Way I look at it is if the fishermen had visibility of about a km at sea level the pilot had a lot less than that at any altitude above sea level

Grey low clouds means grey sea very hard to distinguish a horizon

My money is on spatial disorientation but that's only my opinion

I read the Geelong advertiser and this caught my attention. Maybe the maintenance release?

"Earlier on Monday, police said a critical piece of evidence may hold the key to solving the crash after a crucial document washed ashore over the weekend."

"Police said a member of the public located the item on the beach before contacting police in the days after the passenger plane that crashed"

Went for a fly two weeks ago and made the decision to turn back not far out of the circuit. Drove into town grabbed a coffee and pie, went for a drive to mannum and by the time I returned it had cleared. Have experienced the white out for a long period of time and can guarantee you that I will avoid at all costs.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

SEARCHERS have discovered more wreckage from the doomed plane which crashed off Barwon Heads and killed four people, last Friday.

Water police discovered what is believed to be the engine block, prop and part of the fuselage of the Piper Cherokee plane 4km offshore, between Point Lonsdale and Barwon Heads on Wednesday.

Divers are expected to access the site and continue to search for the fourth body once conditions are more favourable, police have said.

An exclusion zone has been put in place by police and the coroner’s office at the site of the wreckage

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/bellarine-peninsula-plane-crash-wreckage-discovered-by-police/news-story/4669bc4e80599dcb9d3f0492d81d2db5

• Informative 1

Went for a fly two weeks ago and made the decision to turn back not far out of the circuit. Drove into town grabbed a coffee and pie, went for a drive to mannum and by the time I returned it had cleared. Have experienced the white out for a long period of time and can guarantee you that I will avoid at all costs.

where was this? YMBD?

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

The four who lost their lives offshore at Barwon Heads would all be around enjoying a drink in the bar now if they had:-

Got a weather forecast

Filed a flight plan

Only flown VFR in VMC weather

Flown within their own limitations and licences

It just shows that if you want to get to the King Island music festival, you need to do flight preparation.

It has taken me 4 days to find suitable weather to fly 14nm to have annual maintenance done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Not disagreeing with the general thrust of your post FF, but I don't believe filing a flight plan would have achieved anything in this instance. I'm probably a little sensitised to the phrase, given the media's propensity to seize on the lack of a flight plan and imply it contributed to whatever accident they are reporting on.

• Agree 1

ATSB Preliminary report:

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2016/aair/ao-2016-006/

The tight turns over Ocean Grove are concerning - and it's hard to image they're sightseeing on a day like that.

"Wreckage examination indicated that the aircraft’s fuselage and associated components were subjected to high impact forces and subsequently failed in overload. The aircraft’s wings were not located. A number of aircraft components, including the engine and propeller, were recovered for later technical examination."

How sad.

rid16-image2a.jpg.277f29e27c18d4828b7e1aaf5c8b5b10.jpg

• 1 year later...