Barwon Heads accident

was the weather in melbourne bad today?

Drove to Melbourne today, went over Pretty Sally (Kilmore Gap) the fog was way down on the ridges.

In Melbourne cloud was not much more than 500 AGL with low drizzle.

Not my idea of a good day to fly VFR........not even IFR

• Haha 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Friend that owns a drop zone in the area (RHP) pm'd me earlier today stated that it was a Cherokee 235 out of Moorabbin VFR to King Island. Possible it was the return leg VFR pilot and very poor weather.

News reports said the plane was not normally based at Moorabbin. And that it was a Chieftain. I am worried about who was on board.

Hitchy,

The link in the ATSB report posted by Ratus above indicated that the aircraft is not a Cheiftan. The aircraft that Robbo thought it was, is a Cheiftan but it is not that aircraft.

Robbo so after all the speculation it wasn't the aircraft you thought. It might be worth keeping speculations quiet until the details are known who knows the worry you could cause people who knew that aircraft.035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

• Agree 9

Robbo so after all the speculation it wasn't the aircraft you thought. It might be worth keeping speculations quiet until the details are known who knows the worry you could cause people who knew that aircraft.035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

Nothing new about that, not much Robbo doesn't know, just ask him. Budding ATPL be a C&T Capt. on 380's in a couple of years!!

Allegedly 3 experienced pilots on board...the ATSB report will hopefully reveal what happened here so we who also fly can all understand how the aircraft ended up in the water.

Very sad event for their families and RVAC friends. RIP.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nothing new about that, not much Robbo doesn't know, just ask him. Budding ATPL be a C&T Capt. on 380's in a couple of years!!

Don't forget a seasoned accident investigator, Radar operator and now apparently a coast guard correspondent:oh yeah:

• Haha 1

three pilots. and they still took off or flew into what looks like IMC in an aircraft that looks like its only VFR rated

Shafts

Impossible to tell from the outside whether it is and IFR rated aircraft it is all about the equipment on the inside unless you have a more in-depth knowledge of the aircraft.

For all we know at this stage it may have been an IFR training exercise gone bad it would be a logical explanation for having 3 (that we know of) pilots on board.

Aldo

Allegedly 3 experienced pilots on board...the ATSB report will hopefully reveal what happened here so we who also fly can all understand how the aircraft ended up in the water.Very sad event for their families and RVAC friends. RIP.

Kaz

Yes but only one PIC.

Fully loaded. Weather overcast at 600 ft in rain showers all day. Hit the water hard. Eyewitness heard "roar" of engine. No distress call. Seems to have been VFR (no flight plan). All "experienced" weekend pilots. Hmmm.

Jesus, people.

Sometimes when you've planned to go flying in a small plane you need to look outside and say: "You know what? It's not that important. Why don't we go to the pub and have a countery?"

If you don't make that decision, you get another chance. When you're 400 ft above the water or ground and you still have minimal separation from the cloud, and conditions ahead are not getting any better and there are no gaps of any description to be seen and there are rain showers everywhere, it's time to take your second chance to say: "you know what? It's not that important. Let's turn around and go back, and have a countery."

• Like 2
  • Agree 23
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 2

Fully loaded.

Dutch

Understand where you are coming from, I can understand one pilot and even two (pushing each other) but three something doesn't add up here surly we aren't training everybody with the inability to interpret the weather. On top of that it was apparently an RVAC aircraft so that makes four people who should know better as someone would have had to sign the aircraft out.

The scary part is some of these people are going to be your FO one day, hopefully I will have enough cash by then to have my own jet and don't have to rely on airline travel.

Aldo

Some things have been brought to my attention and I wish to make an apology.

I agree that I jumped to a conclusion to soon in relation to this tragic accident, an in fact I did something that I tell everyone else not to do.

I understand this could have brought distress to people involved with the aircraft that's registration I posted earlier.

I saw this aircraft being mentioned on the news and looking at the data logs it seemed to fit, but yes I was wrong and I admit that, I apologise.

I say never listen to the media and on this occasion I have fallen into there trap.

I was advised by a friend that it was a red and white aircraft (in this case it was) but once again I should not have made this public.

It has also been brought to my attention about the way I come across in response to regulations and other topics, I do not mean to "shoot down" members responses.

I seem to put things the wrong way when I am typing in a hurry, so if for any reason you think I have personally attacked your responses this is not the case.

I don't know everything and never will, because everyday you learn something new in this industry.

I have taken the comments on board and will refrain from "speculating" in the future.

Once again I do apologise if you have felt I have "attacked" any of your responses.

Take care everyone, and please keep safe when flying.

Blue Skies

• Like 18
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 4
  • Winner 1

Some things have been brought to my attention and I wish to make an apology.

Well said Robbo, I also suffer from the same affliction from time to time none of us are perfect but your experience and knowledge is welcome here, well at least I do if not anyone else.

Aldo

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1