Cessna missing around Byron Bay Lismore area

A close friend of mine is very involved with Beyondblue, and he always says a simple chat with one of their counsellor's is a good start if you are suffering from these problems. You can give them a call on 1300 22 46 36 any time of the day or night. Help is sometimes as easy as reaching for the phone and a problem shared is a problem halved.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Dog is a cruel beast. With most people it has been my painful experience that sharing even a smidgeon of the experience of depression is a guarantee of isolation- which makes recovery that much harder.

• Agree 3
  • Helpful 1

Most just say snap out of it mate. A lot of life is such as to make some despondency reasonable. Things are not all nice and rosy, but severe depression is something more than that, I believe. The reaction from others generally is not helpful, unless they are a bit more aware than normal. There is a lot to be done . Young people especially suffer from their need to appeal to their own peer group, and be "normal". There is a lot of pressure to conform and be approved or made an object of ridicule, an outsider, loser etc. I have resisted letting the opinion of others as to how one behaves guide my own personal aims as much as I reasonably can, but it's not easy. Advertising forms many of our value judgements if you let it. I try to encourage people to think for them selves and not give others control over you.Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Most just say snap out of it mate...

True, Nev. I can understand (and share) most peoples' desire to not become enmeshed in someone else's mess, but real mates would at least show some empathy. Isolation can be a death sentence.

Anti-depressant drugs are like government subsidies; they might help in the short term, but prevent the natural healing process. After some profoundly difficult experiences with medication, I'll do almost anything to avoid drugs. Even after suffering two enormous kicks in the guts when I was down, I have crawled back up out of the black hole without medication.

What saved me?

A good woman who stayed with me.

Getting involved in something I loved, meeting new people. (My aeroplane saved my life)

Travelling far and finding a new workplace where I was valued.

Found new (real) friends.

• Like 4

I se that OME has started a thread on Suicide. Maybe we could move the discussion there.

Possibly the mods could move the relevant post from this thread to that one.

• Agree 3

is it known that this accident was due to suicide? Or is this speculation?

Media reports are quoting the authorities as saying they are satisfied it was a deliberate act and there are no suspicious circumstances. He apparently called his daughters before taking-off and sent at least one text message shortly before the aircraft disappeared off the radar, obviously content not disclosed but it doesn't take too much imagination to work out what was probably said. Tragic all round.

• Agree 2

I know it's a technicality, but it's not "known" that it was deliberate (by us here at least). But yes, the signs and odd circumstances do seem to point in that direction.

The enormous tragedy is that, if this suspicion is correct, he was thinking both rationally and irrationally at the same time.

Being familiar with the Gold Coast Bulletin, I'd be wanting to hear it from somewhere more reputable before I really believed it.

That said, if it really is the case, and the article is factual, then chalk another one up for CSA and/or the Family Law Courts.

At least he deserves respect for the fact that he didn't take anyone else with him as so many others find necessary to do

unfortunately, to those who are suicidally depressed, dont think of others, they want to end their suffering, and the suffering they believe they are inflicting on others they love and hold dear, when in that space, there is a disconnect between them, and reality, so sadly, i doubt the germanwings pilot, when deciding to take the course of action he did, did not even consider for a moment, all the rest of the passengers. in his mind, all that most likely existed was his thoughts of relieveing the pressure off those he loved. talk to anyone who has been down that path with the black dog, and most will say the same thing, the world outside fades away, and all your life is consumed by your depression..

• Agree 1

I disagree with that take on the Germanwings incident.

Lubitz pre-planned his act for quite some time before carrying it out. He researched cockpit door security and a number of other relevant things. He rehearsed how he would do his descent into a mountainside. He also stated to his former girlfriend that one day he would "do something so that everyone would know his name and remember him".

There is every indication that Lubitz had psychopathic, as well as suicidal tendencies. A potent mix. Lubitz knew full well what the consequences would be and he most certainly wouldn't have thought he was "saving" the passengers from anything (as is sometimes the case with family murder-suicides). Rather he was quite prepared to have them die too, to stamp his mark in a major public act. That's just purely psychopathic.

• Agree 8

Not to be confused with not wishing to be a burden on others.

Hitler was a psychopath. In the end he reckoned the Germans were not worthy of him. A lot of his decisions were not rational or helpful to his war winning aims. Nev

The powerlines appear to be much closer than the plane and are showing no sign of any perspective. It's likely they are parallel to its flight path and closer. It tries to give the illusion the plane is in a dangerous position when I would suggest, it is not. Nev

• Helpful 1

23 year-old mother takes her own life and that of her 2 year-old child at Maroubra in Sydney on Thursday evening.

With all the Social Services we fund, why does this happen?

Let's strive to get Muslim radicalisation off the Front Page and put what really terrifies us there.

OME

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

23 year-old mother takes her own life and that of her 2 year-old child at Maroubra in Sydney on Thursday evening.With all the Social Services we fund, why does this happen?

Let's strive to get Muslim radicalisation off the Front Page and put what really terrifies us there.

OME

It happens because social workers give mothers chance after chance, and will leave children with a mother when under the same circumstances,would have been removed from a father long ago. Most social workers are little girls with next to no experience with kids. Fathers do it because they know that a woman can take everything you have, including your kids, and most of what you're going to have for the next 20 years, and on top of that they will alienate your kids. All courtesy of the FLC and CSA. Get rid of CSA and ,make the FLC fair and just, then a lot of people may feel they actually have something to live for.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

That mother who took her own and her childs life, was mourned by relatives and friends on the cliff top. I wonder what sort of a lifestyle she had. That question is brought on by the mourners on TV all with what looked like a beer reaised in salute.