Plane crashes at Redcliffe in North Brisbane

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/plane-crashes-redcliffe-north-brisbane/2978128/

The Queensland Ambulance Service reports that the plane taxied off the runway into a ditch about 1pm and none of the occupants were hurt during the incident.

Can't see the rego, but that really looks like the plane I am learning on........

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes not sure I have seen that one around the field...looks like he just run off on to the grass and then the ditch next to 07...good to see he is ok and the plane looks like it has not been damaged to bad...actually just looked at some video footage and it looks like a Cessna but I couldn't make out the rego..

David

• Winner 1

What's the point of the C-34 Airmaster? But then again, newspapers.

More money in Rupert's pocket, by using stock photos. we are rapidly approaching the point when journalists will never need to take another photo or interview, they will simply use stock photos and edited audio to cover everything that happens.

• Like 1

From a mate, apparently a bounced landing then hit the nose wheel, exit stage left, I suppose their premiums have just gone up, good that there were no injuries, brand new glass cockpit, not much change out of $400K:yikes:

IMG_3665.JPG.ad0a83502d0557727db1dcb2337cf3f4.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG.bf8f2041fe2286b019cd81bac230137d.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG.0952e5097c0341973b98800265a3f079.JPG

• Informative 1

IVW is a C152 aerobat that I trained on in the 80's.. dunno where the $400K figure is from... no-one would put that much into an old 152.. they could have 3x nice new LSA's with full glass for that..

IVW is a C152 aerobat that I trained on in the 80's.

In the 80's, maybe. Current holder is a 172S of the Redcliffe Aero Club.

• Informative 2

Some reports say he lost control and taxied into the ditch, but the taxiway is on the other side of the runway. I'm inclined to go with bounced landing idea .... If that's the case, I'd say he'd be kicking himself that he didn't apply power for a go-around ... but at least he didn't get hurt

I wonder if it was a bounced landing and then loss of control...was there an instructor in their with him or was he solo...I guess it will come out in the report at some time in the future...

David

Yikes.

Whereas a little bubby bounce may only need a trickle of power and holding the flare attitude to set it back down nicely, moderate to heavy bounces are always hard to recover a decent landing from. It was only late last year that I firmly bounced the Pitts due to a poor approach path and misjudgment. That was on a long, wide runway too.

Power on, fly away, let's try to get this right. Observers on the ground: "What happened with that landing and go round mate?" Me: "I stuffed it up."

Nothing like the smell of a new C-172, and they never fly better than at that time.

I did the worst landing ever in a C-182 . returning to an aerodrome late in the day There was an excavation across it, and I was unable to see it with any certainty so held off till I must have been past where it was. This is NOT a situation one should put oneself in.

I then dumped it on the ground in order to be able to stop in the remaining distance available, but it decided to do a series of porpoising contacts Mooneys do so well, and I was imitating in a 182.. The LADY who books the planes out who I had known for years said. "It takes years of practice to do a landing like that. Nev" Now you all know. Nev

• Like 2

Yikes.Whereas a little bubby bounce may only need a trickle of power and holding the flare attitude to set it back down nicely, moderate to heavy bounces are always hard to recover a decent landing from. It was only late last year that I firmly bounced the Pitts due to a poor approach path and misjudgment. That was on a long, wide runway too.

Power on, fly away, let's try to get this right. Observers on the ground: "What happened with that landing and go round mate?" Me: "I stuffed it up."

Yes I have done some bouncy landings in the SportStar especially if you land on 3 wheels because I didn't flare in correctly and yes I find a very small bounce and you can hold it and land normally but a few of my worst landing I just power on straight away and get her back in the air and try it again...and on the way around I say to myself do it right this time..

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I did a training session called "Bounce Recovery". It consisted of go arounds only. That was the only option in the Bounce Recovery training... There is no shame in going around....

• Agree 3

I did a training session called "Bounce Recovery". It consisted of go arounds only. That was the only option in the Bounce Recovery training... There is no shame in going around....

This bloke should have done some of your training!

• Agree 1

And to think neither of these were real aeroplanes (taildraggers), and they still could land them?!

I guess some people just shouldn't fly (themselves). 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went down to YRED today to give my girl a wash after the weekend and they were pulling the Cessna out of the ditch today...must have been a real job to get her out as they were still there when I left this afternoon...

David

This incident brings back memories of a couple of incidents at Redcliffe when I was flying there in the '70's (makes me feel old 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif). I was on the aero club deck one arvo watching a fellow solo student commence a takeoff roll on 07, next he was spearing off to the port and coming to a quick stop in a cloud of dust just before the drain and levee bank. Instructor Roger Togolini and I drove down to render assistance. On asking what happened, student replied that after the crosswind upset his track, he over corrected then just froze until realizing he was on the dirt heading for the bank. He then just pulled back on the power and hit the brakes. No damage done that time.

Another day I was just about to leave home and pick up a mate before heading out to Redcliffe for a flight in PZW, a really nice near new Piper Warrior I had booked for 10am that morning.

I was about to jump in the car when my mother came out of the house to tell me that she had just heard on the radio that an aircraft had crashed at Redcliffe! I had this strange feeling...that it might be PZW. On arrival at Recliffe there was PZW sitting nose up, flat against the inside slope of the levee bank at the end of runway 07 out front of the club house! We ended up taking old faithful KOU the club 172. What happened with PZW? The hirers had been up for a local flight and the pilot decided to do a touch & go back at Redcliffe before a fullstop landing. After touch down he applied power for the go round and went to pull back on the yoke to rotate but the yoke would not move (in pitch) and by the time he had aborted the takeoff there was not enough runway left to stop before hitting the levee bank. No injuries but aircraft was written off from memory. Cause of the jammed yoke was a small alloy pressure bottle spray cleaner that rolled forward and jammed in the chain and sprocket pitch linkage under the centre console.

• Informative 3

If the bounce is fairly large especially in your early training go around is the safest course of action, but it is itself a manoeuver that has to be done carefully, especially in a crosswind situation, where making contact with the ground after drift is evident can cause severe problems, sometimes causing loss of control. Nev

This bloke should have done some of your training!

A Warrior is one of the easiest aircraft to land IF you DON'T use the point and shoot method (throttle for speed, ailerons for altitude), which tends to make you land flat, or even like this one, nose down.

If you use elevators for speed and throttle for altitude, you'll automatically be coming in nose up, settling into ground effect in the right attitude and then with the wheels touching pulling on more back stick for brakes, with the nose wheel eventually settling comfortably in its own time. Coupled with this is landing by looking out the side window which gives you a more accurate assessment of your attitude. It's then virtually impossible to do what this pilots did.

NOTE this is not advice for any other aircraft than a Cherokee 140/Warrior. For example I have made much better landings in a Jab J170 by looking over the nose, and keeping the nosewheel about 200 mm above the ground.

This incident brings back memories of a couple of incidents at Redcliffe when I was flying there in the '70's (makes me feel old 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif). I was on the aero club deck one arvo watching a fellow solo student commence a takeoff roll on 07, next he was spearing off to the port and coming to a quick stop in a cloud of dust just before the drain and levee bank. Instructor Roger Togolini and I drove down to render assistance. On asking what happened, student replied that after the crosswind upset his track, he over corrected then just froze until realizing he was on the dirt heading for the bank. He then just pulled back on the power and hit the brakes. No damage done that time.Another day I was just about to leave home and pick up a mate before heading out to Redcliffe for a flight in PZW, a really nice near new Piper Warrior I had booked for 10am that morning.

I was about to jump in the car when my mother came out of the house to tell me that she had just heard on the radio that an aircraft had crashed at Redcliffe! I had this strange feeling...that it might be PZW. On arrival at Recliffe there was PZW sitting nose up, flat against the inside slope of the levee bank at the end of runway 07 out front of the club house! We ended up taking old faithful KOU the club 172. What happened with PZW? The hirers had been up for a local flight and the pilot decided to do a touch & go back at Redcliffe before a fullstop landing. After touch down he applied power for the go round and went to pull back on the yoke to rotate but the yoke would not move (in pitch) and by the time he had aborted the takeoff there was not enough runway left to stop before hitting the levee bank. No injuries but aircraft was written off from memory. Cause of the jammed yoke was a small alloy pressure bottle spray cleaner that rolled forward and jammed in the chain and sprocket pitch linkage under the centre console.

Wayne, PZW has been re birthed and is now in regular daily use at Clamback and Hennessy flying school at Bankstown Airport in Sydney.

Its a fully IFR Warrior and very nice to fly!

Thanks for the history.

• Like 1