The XPB Stage 1 underway.

I bought "PaintShop" Long ago, but found it to complicated to enjoy. wasted my money there.

More expensive a product is, doesn't make it any better than a cheapy that works well.

spacesailor

Hey marty d, dont tell him youve used sketch up. Youll be next in line for a wrist slap?

Yep, funny thing, I drew up both the cabin frame and engine mount in SketchUp, printed out the flattened tube shapes to get the end joints of the tubes, cut them all out and got them welded up.  

Guess what?  They fit perfectly.

It's just a tool FT, same as a pencil or compass.  

Oh, and welcome back Bex!  Probably a good idea to stay away from planes as well as boats - if you can do that to yourself falling off a boat, imagine it from 5000'.

• Agree 1

Crikey Bud, you've certainly had a run of bad luck healthwise and hope you have a good and speedy recovery mate. I've also been one of the many who have wondered where's Bex's and in a nice way as I also enjoy your witty gsoh and seeing your projects.

I also don't get on here as much as I use to as it can get a bit tiring with a few on here that are not happy unless they're having a dig at someone. Good people attract good and people who wake up to see who they can piss off today, well they attract the unhappy lot me thinks ?

Cheers Guy.

• Agree 1

Get well mark and i know you don't worry at all about the cxxxheads that sound off your health comes first and when your aircraft is finished  give them all the finger most of these armchair critics woudnt know where to start best wishes 

• Agree 1

the point of dunning kruger is that the lack of self awareness is what creates the failure not external factors, the inability to estimate complexity and overestimate one's ability.  just because something fits together doesn't mean its safe, its a classic failure scenario but you're building off plans from a talented designer with a long history of success.

what a load of rubbish

• Like 2

Begeezus I didn't realise that I would get to see his posts if somebody else here replied.

I had left it at that, eg; blocking him, but after this one I've reported him for his wilful and intentional spiteful disturbance to this thread, and Admin can deal with him from here.

Facebook has the best answer, if I block someone, I can't see their posts, but they also automatically can't see my posts and threads, that's the best way to deal with it I feel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You won't believe this, but some designers even used to keep their drawings on paper, PAPER!  ... PAPER!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, back to my designing, and back to blocked for you, not even sure how you became unblocked  ..

[ATTACH]41644[/ATTACH]

Paper doesn’t go “flat”( as in battery’s), it’s really easy to delete. It doesn’t just die because you didn’t back it up because you were busy. I still have model plane plans that I drew as a teenager in a $10 crate (along with all of my original AUF newsletters and early magazines. Amazing they still work and don’t need an update, or worse not supported any more.

great to see you are still around bex, all the best with recoveries, boats are deadly-mine tried to break my leg on the weekend, 6 weeks out from a cruise. Not needed

cheers

Paper ....

Takes up a whole half closet for a half dozen plane plan sets, I can carry those same half dozen plane designs on a USB that fits in my money pocket ... and mice don't eat it!

I got one set of plans here that has been photocopied so many times some of the numbers are entirely unreadable too, besides having a mix of inches and metric measurements  .....

Of course with 3D plans you can zoom in, rotate, ghost, the entire plane and see how parts actually are supposed to fit.

But anyway, the point was of course that CAD and paper don't build planes, people do. They are merely storage systems for your design. Sure, some software can do extra like FEA etc, but with the years and money it takes to aquire those skillsets, it's easier for me to simply farm it out. I do use file export functions (.dxf) straight to suit some CNC functions such as laser cutting as well.

Thanks Clinton, glad to see you and a few others still around here ?

• Like 1

See Bex, we all missed you................................ I think

Of course, just not sure of the breakdown of "missed" meaning sentiment, or like the badly aimed coathanger my Missus threw at me last week  .... ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

“ABOUT BLOODY TIME” they all shouted, except for ft who stood snivelling in the corner because once again Bex would be submitting the forum to his horrid use of........ I’ll say it softly hear as to not upset anyone.....

sketchup

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gotta laugh, that "500" for freight, converts to aprox $100 Australian, for the equivelant of trucking from Sydney to Alice Springs.

Some things here are so cheap even I am still astounded after many years.

I had a work warranty claim for work involving "plastic rivits". retail if purchased as $12 ea, we needed 8. we had an airbag with 3 turn up ($22.00 each time), then an air bag with 1 more from a different depot, with the other 4 on back order. Turns out after the stupid freight debacle- they were the wrong part.  the correct ones were shipped direct to the customer by supplier after this in another freight bag with the other half of the clips he did not need, (another $18 dollar part by 8 units)

all because 4 fridge shelves were not locked in place by factory worker.

Efficiency at its best.