Emirates B-777 incident at DUBAI.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Officer was pretty experienced Aussie pilot (7000 hours) I believe.

Video of passengers opening lockers to get their bags while the plane is burning, yet again. You know, you really don't have much time to get out in an evacuation like that, and if your wheelie bag obstructs an exit or tears an escape slide on the way down, there could be severe consequences of your actions, all for the sake of taking your toothbrush and sunnies.

• Agree 4

Fatal is gound fire fighter. Quick evacuation it appears. People should leave everything. The aim is to get out of the plane when fire involved. Perhaps a lock on the lockers, activated in such circumstances. People ignore instructions these days. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Is the instruction to leave your baggage included in the pre-flight safety announcement. So long since I flew, I can't remember. If not, it should be.

• Agree 1

Well after working in India for a while I can see why it happens, most locals carry far more carry on than allowed and the culture of even boarding the plane is so far out of control.

On every occasion I was boarding a flight to come home they would call for example people for rows 50 to 60 to board, every time almost everyone got up except for the skippy and the Pom and started pushing and shoving to board the plane.

I used to joke to old mate that I hoped someone was going to be sitting in the rows farther forward or the plane would be sitting on its tail.

I would often if I was in the rows called get in line and casually move and leave a gap of a few feet, I would have passengers trying to push me along but being twice the build I would just block them, it would get to the point I would turn around ask them what is your hurry and they would say we have to get on the plane, my response was this sucker ain't going anywhere until everyone is boarded so stop pushing, half the reason I think was to get their carry on in the lockers

Then you want to be sitting in it when they arrive at the arrival gate, as soon as one person stands up even if the seat belt sign is still on everyone of that culture almost gets up, then it becomes a race to get off and collect your 4 + carry ons and looks just like the video

They believe in enchala (gods will) if they are meant to die they will so may as well try and get all my stuff off

Note: usually the professionals or educated are far more tolerant than just the average Joe who travels, it's a culture thing

• Winner 1

Well after working in India for a while I can see why it happens, most locals carry far more carry on than allowed and the culture of even boarding the plane is so far out of control.On every occasion I was boarding a flight to come home they would call for example people for rows 50 to 60 to board, every time almost everyone got up except for the skippy and the Pom and started pushing and shoving to board the plane.

I used to joke to old mate that I hoped someone was going to be sitting in the rows farther forward or the plane would be sitting on its tail.

I would often if I was in the rows called get in line and casually move and leave a gap of a few feet, I would have passengers trying to push me along but being twice the build I would just block them, it would get to the point I would turn around ask them what is your hurry and they would say we have to get on the plane, my response was this sucker ain't going anywhere until everyone is boarded so stop pushing, half the reason I think was to get their carry on in the lockers

Then you want to be sitting in it when they arrive at the arrival gate, as soon as one person stands up even if the seat belt sign is still on everyone of that culture almost gets up, then it becomes a race to get off and collect your 4 + carry ons and looks just like the video

They believe in enchala (gods will) if they are meant to die they will so may as well try and get all my stuff off

Note: usually the professionals or educated are far more tolerant than just the average Joe who travels which is the majority most times

Totally agree Alf. After +25 years of Intn'l flights thru 3rd world areas, what I witnessed (despite rules and common sense) as everyday normal boarding, in-flight and deplaning/customs immigration air transport activities would shock CASA or ATSB out of existence. One instance on a domestic flight in West Africa, when I complained bitterly about safety of the pile of supposedly 'carry on' luggage (the o'head lockers were already bursting) piled in the isle at the aft end totally blocking the rear stairs access, the cabin staff's reluctant remedy was to use both toilets as baggage compartments for the overflow. On reflection, it was probably a practical move as generally the toilets were blocked and too foul for use anyway. We Ozzies are spoiled in what we perceive as 'acceptable'.

• Like 1

On an internal flight in Indonesia, we were all shut in and just about to taxi, when I pointed out to the hostile that there was a bicycle in the aisle. I said we are not taking off with that and she replied that we were. I said that I would be talking to IATA. They opened up again and the bike was removed.

Another trip with Emirates, we were taxiing in at Heathrow and I was watching a forward looking TV, we stopped at a crossing taxiway, so passengers stood up and opened lower clears, we moved again and did a sharp stop and half of the passengers fell over.

On an internal flight in Indonesia, we were all shut in and just about to taxi, when I pointed out to the hostile that there was a bicycle in the aisle. I said we are not taking off with that and she replied that we were. I said that I would be talking to IATA. They opened up again and the bike was removed.Another trip with Emirates, we were taxiing in at Heathrow and I was watching a forward looking TV, we stopped at a crossing taxiway, so passengers stood up and opened lower clears, we moved again and did a sharp stop and half of the passengers fell over.

Despite knowing different, I'd like to think it may have been the driver's way of trying to teach the dumb basterds a lesson?

• Like 1

I think the problem of passengers retrieving their carry on luggage before evacuating may be a well known phenomenon. I recall reading a fascinating book many years ago call Aircraft Detective by Stephen Barlay in 1969 (I think). This book detailed the early history of air crash investigation, including great stories about the investigator who spent weeks breaking warning light bulbs to see if he could detect whether a warning light was illuminated or not at the moment of impact. Anyway I recall there was a chapter about evacuating aircraft, it suggested that there are 3 types of passenger reactions during an emergency. The first type will flee ASAP even if it means climbing over other passengers, the second type will calmy follow instructions, the third type will either do nothing but maybe sit and stare or will go about their business as if nothing is wrong. I think this is referred to as "negative panic" I believe it has to do with the brain trying to protect itself by not defining the situation as an emergency. I imagine that once one passenger starts rummaging around for their cabin luggage that others then interpret the situation as not being an emergency. It is important to recognize the physcology of these situations rather that just assuming that it is only dumb people who do this and that perhaps there may by design fixes (like being able to centrally lock overhead storage, as some else suggested).

I suspect "negative panic" also could be a factor (in our type of flying) given instances of unsuccessful landings after engine failures.

This quote is from the site "Ask The Pilot"

"like you, I found myself shaking my head when I saw the videos or read reports of people taking their carry on luggage off the plane. Then I interviewed a passenger on Asiana 214 [the 2013 crash-landing of a 777 in San Francisco] who had done so and was surprised by his explanation. He told me that when the plane came to a stop and the evacuation began, he acted by habit in gathering his things and only afterward did he realize what he was doing. So I think we cannot discount the effect of altered state of consciousness as playing a role in this behavior. You may have read about this as a form of “negative panic.”

• Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Interesting octave, I read an account of the Las Vegas (I think) evacuation and the interviewee was annoyed with himself when he realised that he had left the plane with a small carry-on bag, saying he knew he shouldn't have, but had just acted automatically when the call came to abandon ship. He partially rationalised it, saying that he had become so conditioned to looking after the damned bag, dragging it on and off planes, taxis and buses across the world, that it was second nature to grab it when he left in a hurry. Airlines and designers would probably be better off finding a way to work with human nature instead of relying on perfect compliance when a routine situation suddenly goes to poo.

Well after working in India for a while I can see why it happens, most locals carry far more carry on than allowed and the culture of even boarding the plane is so far out of control.On every occasion I was boarding a flight to come home they would call for example people for rows 50 to 60 to board, every time almost everyone got up except for the skippy and the Pom and started pushing and shoving to board the plane.

Note: usually the professionals or educated are far more tolerant than just the average Joe who travels, it's a culture thing

My goodness, you just described China to a T - no Gods here though, just selfish ignorance of others.

I just don't understand it, same for bus and trains, they have pre purchased a ticket, they have a seat, but there's this mad pushing and shoving like first in first served - ask me about the time 3 ladies ended up on their asses for pushing me .... besides the guys I've throttled. China would be an awesome place if not for the Chinese ...

Another trip with Emirates, we were taxiing in at Heathrow and I was watching a forward looking TV, we stopped at a crossing taxiway, so passengers stood up and opened lower clears, we moved again and did a sharp stop and half of the passengers fell over.

I love it when that happens to the Chinese, it's just pure co-incidence that the pilot is usually Australian ... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I have seen one Qantas Stewardess screaming at Chinese after touchdown. Chinese also think that touchdown automatically means "phones on" too.

Getting back to the landing and fire itself.

Anyone heard any details on the landing and fire.

I heard that one set of mains were intact but the other mains and the nose wheels appeared to be either not lowered or missing (?? ripped off due to heavy landing).

That was just a media statement so probably not true.

Is the instruction to leave your baggage included in the pre-flight safety announcement. So long since I flew, I can't remember. If not, it should be.

Yes it is. But we know few people pay close attention to it.

In answer to my own question:

From another aviation website - I obviously have no idea whether this is correct or not:

"Initial report from another pilot very nearby.

Landed very hard

Rejected landing

Airborne

Go around actions commenced

Gear retraction commenced

Settled back on the runway"

Both could be looking for a job soon . May also be interested in a position on RAAus board if they're quick , their experience would be hard to beat ......... " Yep, I've done a wheels up on a B777 , beat that you blokes " .... Bob

• Haha 4

The second possibility, I would think.Bex..

You don't select gear UP till a positive rate of climb is established. You need to reselect flap, retrim set power and get the right airspeed also, and rotate. This is all done in ground roll It will all be on the recorders. The flighties did a good job, getting everybody out. Nev

• Agree 1

Just on the overhead baggage thing.try Alitalia!

#$*£!

The plane has harldy taken off, people walking in the isles.

Going in to land, WAY after the signs and announcements, say about the middle marker, people walking down the isles, opening the luggage cabinets.

While flying at altitude, people asleep on seats near the emergency exits, with their feet entangled in the handle to open the door!

On the "go around":

Ok, you need to "get out of there, and back in the air", but until you have a positive rate of climb, why would you retract the wheels?

However, all things considered: it is amasing that only one person died.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1