Ian and his Recreational Flying website.

old man emu

Now Ian is introducing the means for commercial organisations to set up a virtual display stand and to be able to interact in real time with people who wander into the "stand".

The way Ian has added and added to this site reminds me of the fellow who gets the bug to build a small, table-top scale model railway and over the years it grows and grows until it overruns the house and reaches the stage of the missus's ultimatum - "It's me or the trains," shouted over the strains of "Last Train to Clarkesville".

Love ya work, Ian. 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

OME

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Helpful 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about the shiniest mousetrap

Come on you guys!!!!

We view this site for free....we all know nothings for free in this world.

If Ian needs to place adds or what ever to supply this great site free of any financial cost to you, you should be appreciative !

Harden the FuGk up!!!!!!!

• Agree 8
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing that's a couple less Christmas cards i need to send out this year. I'll get on with my travel plans to the land of sexual congress then.

I may have been a bit harsh !

New I shouldn't have had that extra glass of Shiraz insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

• Agree 2

Whatever!

I'm very grateful to be able to access this wonderful site ( Thanks Ian) so would thousands of others if they stop and think hard, or stick that cork back in the bottle.

Mind you, I must admit i've made a good few post's here when I've forgotten the last bit 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Thanks Guys.

The other day I posted a rant on a forum software site that I contibute to and got an overwhelming agreement to my comments about the future of forum websites. Here is some of it...

---------------

I have been in the business of providing a forum for the aviation community for many many years now. I started with my own developed html with a Jet backend thinking I would get 50 users. It grew so I got MegaBB, and then another one which died. Moved on to vBulletin through several versions and finally with Xenforo since its first release.

Like many others I have seen many things come and go.

In recent years we have the whole Social media thing that has threatened the existence of Forums and now many of the forum sites I once knew have closed down and just provide links to their Social Media existence.

When comparing Social Media to Forums the difference is there however the convenience of Social Media and world wide acceptance is what has impacted forums. Sure Social Media doesn't have many of the benefits of a strictly forum only site but with busy lifestyles and the way that Social Media has become a way of life with family and friends whilst at the same time tuning in to specific subject matter, which was the heart of forums, all on the same platform.

My opinion is that Forums have to change from being a Forum site to discuss a subject to being a complete overwhelming Resource on that specific subject. In other words Forum sites need and must depend heavily on all the different addons to build their site up to being a complete resource, sure with discussions but also Photos, Videos, Classifieds, Events, News, Documents, subject resources, tutorials, lookup lists, even a shop etc etc etc. Once you have created a full, overwhelming complete single repository of every single piece of information and tools on a specific subject would you have any chance of competing against the likes of Social Media.

-------------------

What I am trying to do is help every recreational aviator by providing them with a complete single source of all information relating to their flying. I hope the industry is better off for it and that we all help each other to be safer, maintain our aircraft better and increase our flying skills from the exchange of knowledge between each other. If just one person learns something here that saves their life then the job is done in my books...thanks again

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 6

Hey!

This is getting way too serious for the original intent of my post. I was just having a chuckle at the way this website has "just growed, like Topsy". That's why I posted in the Aviation Laughter section.

If anyone wants to take this thread any deeper than a source of a chuckle, then I'll come round to your place with me flock and kick your dunny down.

OME

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

On a really serious note (Let's say D below middle C) I haven't got an outside dunny, but the flock (especially if on a Harley) are welcome to come around and attempt to kick the chookhouse down, and discuss how a website has got so useful and why the administrator has still got (I hope) his sanity.

I sometimes think, and I realise that it is a dangerous activity, this thinking, that I should sell my FLH and buy a plane instead. At least the hangerage for a Harley is affordable, even if the annual CTP and rego is'nt.

David, the 'expert' at dragging back long-forgotten threads.

I know which I prefer. This site is far superior to Social Media. i made the mistake of joining Facebook, mainly to get info about one flying business. Since then I just get bombarded with rubbish emails about what someone has posted or someone wants to be friends. Joining them was nearly as bad a mistake as bringing Leucaenia on to my property.

I know which I prefer. This site is far superior to Social Media. i made the mistake of joining Facebook, mainly to get info about one flying business. Since then I just get bombarded with rubbish emails about what someone has posted or someone wants to be friends. Joining them was nearly as bad a mistake as bringing Leucaenia on to my property.

Just set your security settings to suit what you want to see and who can see what you write.

• Agree 2

Just about taking control of your settings.

• Agree 3

Also making and reserving an email specific for joining social media.

Last time I looked my Yahoo inbox was a couple of thousand "unread".

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wish that were the case.

I signed up originally to stay in contact with a relative on holidays.

Now the biggest issue I have is that you can't be selective about having to accept all the crap your legitimate friends post. I have had to block or unfollow or delete more than 50% of the legitimate contacts I have had due to overbearing crap they post. - endless pics of their children's first pair of shoes, pictures of people's lunch and what score they got on some stupid on line game.

I also get heaps of ads for stuff I don't want and which apparently I am not able to filter due to facebooks need to go further up the income scale.

I have put in just about every setting I can to stop the demise of my enjoyment of the site but the spam and crap seems to stay one step ahead.

I wish that were the case.I signed up originally to stay in contact with a relative on holidays.

Now the biggest issue I have is that you can't be selective about having to accept all the crap your legitimate friends post. I have had to block or unfollow or delete more than 50% of the legitimate contacts I have had due to overbearing crap they post. - endless pics of their children's first pair of shoes, pictures of people's lunch and what score they got on some stupid on line game.

I also get heaps of ads for stuff I don't want and which apparently I am not able to filter due to facebooks need to go further up the income scale.

I have put in just about every setting I can to stop the demise of my enjoyment of the site but the spam and crap seems to stay one step ahead.

Other than unfriending you can unfollow, which means you will remain FB friends but you wont get their postings unless you go to their page.

• Agree 1

I've been on Facebook for 7 years, since I retired, to keep in contact with my old work colleagues. Some have dropped off, some are still active. I also was able to reconnect with some interstate friends from 40 odd years ago, when I lived in Sydney. Yes I have to scroll through heaps of lost dog/cat posts, what they had for breakfast, etc, but you have to sift the grain from the chaff. FB has been very handy while my son has been on his 5 week tour of America. We've been able to chat, keep up with his movements, and see lots of photos of the places he has visited. When he was buying stuff for my daughter, he was able to photograph it on his iPad, post the photo and she could say yay or nay before he spent the money. Very convenient. What annoys me are those people who have something they are fanatical about, like body builders who post endless photos of some dude working out in a gym or lifting weights, or those who preach their personal preferences to the world, like vegans and anti-vaxers. On the other hand, I am a member of the Vintage Bonanza Group, not that I repost anything from their FB page. I get a lot of my funny photos and videos, and quickies from Facebook.

I'm not interested in Twitter, Snapchat, or any of those other 'soshul meejar' sites.

• Agree 2

I've been on Facebook for 7 years, since I retired, to keep in contact with my old work colleagues. Some have dropped off, some are still active. I also was able to reconnect with some interstate friends from 40 odd years ago, when I lived in Sydney. Yes I have to scroll through heaps of lost dog/cat posts, what they had for breakfast, etc, but you have to sift the grain from the chaff. FB has been very handy while my son has been on his 5 week tour of America. We've been able to chat, keep up with his movements, and see lots of photos of the places he has visited. When he was buying stuff for my daughter, he was able to photograph it on his iPad, post the photo and she could say yay or nay before he spent the money. Very convenient. What annoys me are those people who have something they are fanatical about, like body builders who post endless photos of some dude working out in a gym or lifting weights, or those who preach their personal preferences to the world, like vegans and anti-vaxers. On the other hand, I am a member of the Vintage Bonanza Group, not that I repost anything from their FB page. I get a lot of my funny photos and videos, and quickies from Facebook.I'm not interested in Twitter, Snapchat, or any of those other 'soshul meejar' sites.

Yep, I'm trying to work out what to do about this, as I understand there is a very good Savannah group on there.

However:

Some years ago, and after much foot-dragging, my kids set me up with a FB account so I could share what they were up to. But in short order, it spread out, and I was getting all the BS detailed above, including who woke up with a headache on any particular day. Whereupon the sufferer would be bombarded by messages of 'we feel your pain' and urgings to 'be strong'.

After about a year of these facile bleatings, I just bailed.

And when asked recently if that was because I was depressed by the contrast between my own varied life and everyone else's wonderful FB lives (a common complaint, apparently), I had to say no: that while I don't regard myself as the sharpest knife in the drawer, what truly depressed me was the constant reminder of how f****ing stupid large segments of humanity actually are.

Judgemental? Sure.........)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

The quality of the facebook postings that come onto my page are determined by the quality of my friends and acquaintances, if they post rubbish they don't last.

• Agree 1

Yep, I'm trying to work out what to do about this, as I understand there is a very good Savannah group on there.However:

Some years ago, and after much foot-dragging, my kids set me up with a FB account so I could share what they were up to. But in short order, it spread out, and I was getting all the BS detailed above, including who woke up with a headache on any particular day. Whereupon the sufferer would be bombarded by messages of 'we feel your pain' and urgings to 'be strong'.

After about a year of these facile bleatings, I just bailed.

And when asked recently if that was because I was depressed by the contrast between my own varied life and everyone else's wonderful FB lives (a common complaint, apparently), I had to say no: that while I don't regard myself as the sharpest knife in the drawer, what truly depressed me was the constant reminder of how f****ing stupid large segments of humanity actually are.

Judgemental? Sure.........)

Groups are private, you apply to join, are invited in, and booted out as necessary. Non

Members can't see anything.

On the advice of poster above I'll stay away from FB

............... most humans want to be part of a group .............. and its attributes

............... I'm guessing FB does not have many of those attributes ?

On the advice of poster above I'll stay away from FB............... most humans want to be part of a group .............. and its attributes

............... I'm guessing FB does not have many of those attributes ?

Nono...don't let us put you off: clearly a majority are more than happy to have FB in their lives...or they wouldn't do it........um....would they?