The wierdest thing....Canberra

Tonight I saw a weaving aircraft about 1-2nm NW Canberra Airport YCBR that appeared to stop mid flight and then resume. It weaved left and right in a tight pattern and then STOPPED !! , I initially thought it was a RPT making a delay turn before it's destination. It was a single burner jet aircraft, the flame was clearly visible. It did this in quick movements, stopped again then continued. (perhaps it went vertical?)

I rang CASA (airspace incursions) cause no other number answered and I was told 'it will be on the radar, all perfectly normal'

Back outside the aircraft appeared to climb above cloud level and then eventually disappeared E-northwards and up.

This thing was plainly a jet, yet it appeared to stop midair? It was weaving back and forth in tight turns before it appeared to stop, then continued on more weaving, and the single jet flame was clearly visible. F35 testing?

very weird.

Ramjet

Years ago while driving in the bush, I stopped my van as my passenger and I were convinced we'd seen a UFO in the night sky. We even stopped and took photographs hoping to make a fortune from the press. As it turned out, we got got further down the road and found the local scout group had a bonfire and sheets of newspaper in flames were being carried into the night sky with the heat from the fire.

Sometimes things are not always what they seem, and "bugger", we never got a cent for the photo's.

Are you sure it was a jet?

A faulty warp drive might look the same. Ask Chewbakka.

Although there is always a rational explanation, it piques my curiosity too. Let us all know when you find out. How far away from it were you? was there any noise?

I have written it before, but in short, Mid NSW on Newell Hwy, after 4am, crop duster.

As it came towards us it look motionless, then when it turned and gained altitude it looked like a fabled "UFO accelerating from stop to incredible speeds". Then it would turn away from us and disappear altogether just to reappear in a different spot in the sky to start all over again.

Had we not got right up to it and discovered it was a crop duster, man would I have had a UFO story to tell!

• Like 1

Single jet output you say?strange weird manouvers?

Thats Bronwyn Bishop trying out the new broom with the exhaust wide open

She hasn't been sneaking a ride in a tax payer funded chopper again has she?

Years ago while driving in the bush, I stopped my van as my passenger and I were convinced we'd seen a UFO in the night sky. We even stopped and took photographs hoping to make a fortune from the press. As it turned out, we got got further down the road and found the local scout group had a bonfire and sheets of newspaper in flames were being carried into the night sky with the heat from the fire.Sometimes things are not always what they seem, and "bugger", we never got a cent for the photo's.

. I can relate to that one Planedriver,about 27 years ago I was in a mustering (cattle) camp 150 km NW of Camooweal and while lying in my swag at about 8.30pm (NT time) looking into the west I could see this light dancing around on the horizon and my first thought was its a minmin light but I kept it to myself (in case I had a touch of the sun) but the same time the next night there it was again.This went on for about 3 nights until I pointed it out to the mustering pilot and he studied it for a bit and advised me it was the evenings star (I felt a fool). It's amazing the optical illusion it gives on the Barkley Tableland horizon at nighttime with a slight breeze blowing. I didn't get a cent either. CV.
  • Helpful 1

a light plastic rubbish bag with a perimeter wire frame at the bag open end .................. also a 'X' of wire at the open end and a 'little lucifer' fire starter on the 'X' can make a very effective potential UFO (bag ascends & glows)

I've seen similar driving up the highway north of Willy. Could easily be mistaken for a UFO, but clearly an aircraft...I put the motionless down to it coming toward me ... But easy to understand why someone may report it as a UFO when you see it...