Man Attempts To Fly With Zero Flight Experience!

Thats how I still fly! Passengers must like it as they always thank me for my landing but, I believe it over the top as they call me god.

On a serious note, Darwins law should have claimed this one, lucky.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Don't think the actual landing style would be what I would attempt, if I was faking the show. It's luck he didn't bust it up at that stage, but he flew close to the limit a few times, might make you think it's totally contrived. The drunk driving the stolen aeroplane or the too old type who grabs a plane at an air show we are fairly familiar with on the "tube". Dunno about this one, but if you stooge around the field and do weird things, how would you then get it fairly together and do a reasonable approach? In the early stages you can do a lot of airwork fairly well and still see positioning the plane on an approach and actually LANDING it as a far fetched dream. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There's a bunch of fake video warning signs:

- very casual commentary

- some unusual smoothness in the video but then later quite deliberate jittery shots

- fairly unnatural focusing (yeah autofocusing can jump around a bit but not like this)

- nobody runs over to him at the end

- freezing the video at the closest views of the aircraft it seems to look quite unnatural compared to a full size real one

- it moves somewhat unnaturally for a full scale aircraft in parts of the video

My guess - a heavily edited video possibly using a scale model for most of it.

• Agree 1

I'm not sure if it is cgi/model or not.

But I think there is too much co-ordinated control of engine/throttle and flight surfaces to be a totally inexperienced pilot.....

• Agree 2

There's a bunch of fake video warning signs:- very casual commentary

- some unusual smoothness in the video but then later quite deliberate jittery shots

- fairly unnatural focusing (yeah autofocusing can jump around a bit but not like this)

- nobody runs over to him at the end

- freezing the video at the closest views of the aircraft it seems to look quite unnatural compared to a full size real one

- it moves somewhat unnaturally for a full scale aircraft in parts of the video

My guess - a heavily edited video possibly using a scale model for most of it.

I agree with dutchroll

But I think there is too much co-ordinated control of engine/throttle and flight surfaces to be a totally inexperienced pilot.....

Yup, I reckon practicing a "drunk" stunt type performance including the landing (possibly not quote what he expected though) - which you can do with a pusher.

Yup

Yup, I reckon practicing a "drunk" stunt type performance including the landing (possibly not quote what he expected though) - which you can do with a pusher.

Yup....I've seen an army pilot severely bend a PC-6 while doing the drunk pilot routine. The bounce, didn't bounce, and the crowd got more entertainment than intended.

• Agree 1

Guest SrPilot
I think there is too much co-ordinated control of engine/throttle and flight surfaces to be a totally inexperienced pilot.....

Well, DU, the header for the video says it's Kyle Franklin doing the flying at Branson which is a town in Missouri (USA). Kyle Franklin is a very well known aerobatic pilot in the U.S. He will fly in September in my state and I likely will be in the audience. His dad, Jimmy Franklin, scared me terribly the first time I saw him fly at Oshkosh (which was his first performance at Oshkosh I believe). Jimmy Franklin later teamed with Bobby Younkin both of whom were also very well known U.S. aerobatic pilots. They were known for "hanging it on the edge." Their team was called the Masters of Disaster, and disaster happened in Canada in 2005 when they were killed in a mid-air collision while performing. The third plane of the show, flown by Jim LeRoy. was not involved in the collision.

Kyle, son of Jimmy Franklin, continued flying aerobatics and did a wing-walking act with his wife Amanda who was the daughter of Bobby Younkin. She was killed in a tragic crash in Texas in 2011 when they went down due to mechanical issues. The biplane caught fire and both were burned; she died some days later.

Jim LeRoy who was performing with Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin and who was a very accomplished aerobatic pilot, also continued to fly. I had met some of these pilots of the years in Oshkosh but I met Jim LeRoy in Chattanooga, Tennessee at an airshow some years back. I was invited to help hold a ribbon pole while he did the inverted ribbon cut in his biplane. So I flew to Chattanooga and did exactly that. What a blast! I didn't know a plane coming out of a dive, turning inverted and coming at you could look so fast and create such a pressure wave. It was good that we had been told to lean into the pole, otherwise we likely would have been blown on our backs. After the flight, we had lunch with Jim and his wife at the hangar. They were really, really nice people. He was a former Marine-sniper and his military bearing showed but he was as friendly and personable as anyone I've ever met. He just exuded competence.

Jim was killed in a crash in Dayton, Ohio in 2007 while performing in his Pitts S2S II.

These performers are/were professional aerobatic pilots. Unfortunately it's a tough business. I've held ribbon poles for two well-known aerobatic pilots. Both were killed in later performances. I have retired from pole-holding. I also do not do aerobatics. I went to BunnelL, Florida (Flagler County Airport) to do a basic aerobatic course at the school run by a husband-wife team Daniel Heligoin and Montaine Mallet. Their extremely famous act was called French Connection. Not long after my intro to aerobatics, Daniel and Montaine were killed in a mid-air collision over the runway at the Flagler County Airport while practicing for an upcoming airshow. I had decided while at their school that aerobatics was just not my cup of tea. I was not going to practice, practice, practice, and didn't want to invest enough in the sport. My two aerobatic airplanes -- a Citabria 7KCAB and a Hiperbipe -- were capable of decent aerobatics, but without a significant investment of time and funds, I would never be more than a "basic" aerobatic pilot. I dropped my membership in the International Aerobatic Club and just took another path in flying.

BTW, the "hillbilly" act is an act. None of these pilots are or were "hillbillies" or "stupid." The comic routine in aerobatics is said by many people to be the most dangerous aerobatic routine. A very accomplished aerobatic pilot, Greg Koontz, is based just a few miles up the road from me. I've seen him fly, flown into his airport, shared in the vittles. If you'd like to learn to fly like demonstrated in the video, give Koontz a call. He teaches aerobatics (Master CFI-Aerobatics) and is a dealer for the modern version of the Citabria / Decathalon family of aerobatic airplanes. He can take care of the itch if one you have. He may even teach you to land the airplane on top of a vehicle instead of a runway. Here's his link:

Welcome to Greg Koontz Aviation!

I no longer have the itch. But I respect those who do.

Well, DU, the header for the video says it's Kyle Franklin doing the flying at Branson which is a town in Missouri (USA). Kyle Franklin is a very well known aerobatic pilot in the U.S. He will fly in September in my state and I likely will be in the audience. His dad, Jimmy Franklin, scared me terribly the first time I saw him fly at Oshkosh (which was his first performance at Oshkosh I believe). Jimmy Franklin later teamed with Bobby Younkin both of whom were also very well known U.S. aerobatic pilots. They were known for "hanging it on the edge." Their team was called the Masters of Disaster, and disaster happened in Canada in 2005 when they were killed in a mid-air collision while performing. The third plane of the show, flown by Jim LeRoy. was not involved in the collision.Kyle, son of Jimmy Franklin, continued flying aerobatics and did a wing-walking act with his wife Amanda who was the daughter of Bobby Younkin. She was killed in a tragic crash in Texas in 2011 when they went down due to mechanical issues. The biplane caught fire and both were burned; she died some days later.

Jim LeRoy who was performing with Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin and who was a very accomplished aerobatic pilot, also continued to fly. I had met some of these pilots of the years in Oshkosh but I met Jim LeRoy in Chattanooga, Tennessee at an airshow some years back. I was invited to help hold a ribbon pole while he did the inverted ribbon cut in his biplane. So I flew to Chattanooga and did exactly that. What a blast! I didn't know a plane coming out of a dive, turning inverted and coming at you could look so fast and create such a pressure wave. It was good that we had been told to lean into the pole, otherwise we likely would have been blown on our backs. After the flight, we had lunch with Jim and his wife at the hangar. They were really, really nice people. He was a former Marine-sniper and his military bearing showed but he was as friendly and personable as anyone I've ever met. He just exuded competence.

Jim was killed in a crash in Dayton, Ohio in 2007 while performing in his Pitts S2S II.

These performers are/were professional aerobatic pilots. Unfortunately it's a tough business. I've held ribbon poles for two well-known aerobatic pilots. Both were killed in later performances. I have retired from pole-holding. I also do not do aerobatics. I went to BunnelL, Florida (Flagler County Airport) to do a basic aerobatic course at the school run by a husband-wife team Daniel Heligoin and Montaine Mallet. Their extremely famous act was called French Connection. Not long after my intro to aerobatics, Daniel and Montaine were killed in a mid-air collision over the runway at the Flagler County Airport while practicing for an upcoming airshow. I had decided while at their school that aerobatics was just not my cup of tea. I was not going to practice, practice, practice, and didn't want to invest enough in the sport. My two aerobatic airplanes -- a Citabria 7KCAB and a Hiperbipe -- were capable of decent aerobatics, but without a significant investment of time and funds, I would never be more than a "basic" aerobatic pilot. I dropped my membership in the International Aerobatic Club and just took another path in flying.

BTW, the "hillbilly" act is an act. None of these pilots are or were "hillbillies" or "stupid." The comic routine in aerobatics is said by many people to be the most dangerous aerobatic routine. A very accomplished aerobatic pilot, Greg Koontz, is based just a few miles up the road from me. I've seen him fly, flown into his airport, shared in the vittles. If you'd like to learn to fly like demonstrated in the video, give Koontz a call. He teaches aerobatics (Master CFI-Aerobatics) and is a dealer for the modern version of the Citabria / Decathalon family of aerobatic airplanes. He can take care of the itch if one you have. He may even teach you to land the airplane on top of a vehicle instead of a runway. Here's his link:

Welcome to Greg Koontz Aviation!

I no longer have the itch. But I respect those who do.

HI SrP, I posted kyle's video in response to the Farri's original post. The blue text takes you to a different , much more amateur video, which to me, appears to be someone in an ultralight doing a poor copy of Kyle Franklin's act.

Guest SrPilot
HI SrP, I posted kyle's video in response to the Farri's original post. The blue text takes you to a different , much more amateur video, which to me, appears to be someone in an ultralight doing a poor copy of Kyle Franklin's act.

Hi M6. I was responding to the video labeled Kyle Franklin at Branson. I did see the blue ultralight "flight," whatever that was. 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif But I was not commenting on it. The other people I know to be professionals, albeit in a very unforgiving business if things go wrong. Ergo, today I took my little A22LS out for a ride. Figured I lowered to odds to better match my ability. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

No brainer.......won't use the F**E word..... care of Donald T.....but it's a set-up. Apart from dutchrolls' analysis also noticed a guy in the foreground ignoring the action for far too long. How about a stuntman's audition tape!

I remember seeing Jimmy Franklin perform at Reno 88. I really could not believe the things he did with that bipe, have never seen flying like that in Australia and probably never will. What made it even more exciting was the commentator, don't remember his name but he had the spectators hyped up....Best I have ever heard! Got a video on tape of the performance, will see if I can convert it to put on line.

Wayne

Guest SrPilot
I remember seeing Jimmy Franklin perform at Reno 88. I really could not believe the things he did with that bipe, have never seen flying like that in Australia and probably never will. . . . Got a video on tape of the performance, will see if I can convert it to put on line. Wayne

I had much the same reaction, Wayne, when I saw him fly at Oshkosh for the first time. Unreal. I hope you can get your video on line. I'd like to see it. j

Are you saying the original ( fixed wing) is fake or the video (of the helicopter) you have added is a fake?

all these videos are easy to fake with flight simulators, set your plane to fly on a green background and then just overlay it onto the real video you have made with you waving the camera around