17 year old solo around Australia.

Par-Avion looks to be pure GA training from their website. RPL, PPL, Commercial.I'm guessing he might not even know that an RAA pilot certificate even exists.....

Plenty of schools pushing the GA only route for increased revenue....

He'll want CTA going that way. Not available with RAAus cert..... Bob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True but it is cheaper to go RAA then upgrade and you have more experience more hours same costs etc.

I am sure it made sense for him to go with avion as they have sponsored him I am sure. They can afford a marketing budget to suit.

I would say he is planning on using the hours from this for his CPL, so a 172 is more beneficial. Also, considering he is trying for a time record, a break down of some description in a Cessna would be easier to get fixed out that way.

• Agree 1

Par-Avion looks to be pure GA training from their website. RPL, PPL, Commercial.I'm guessing he might not even know that an RAA pilot certificate even exists.....

Plenty of schools pushing the GA only route for increased revenue....

Par Avion is affiliated with Airlines of Tasmania. At present this is their fleet:

Airlines of Tasmania fleet

Aircraft In Service

Beechcraft Duchess 2

Britten-Norman Islander 3

Cessna 172 6

Cessna U206G 2

Cessna 404 Titan 2

Piper PA-31 Navajo 2

Piper PA-31-350 Chieftain 2

Total 19

I believe the Aero Club of Southern Tasmania has a Jab in addition to a couple of 172's, a 206 and an Aero Commander (they may have more - Google says their site may harm my computer, not sure why!)

Is there a chance that I could do an oldest pilot around Australia. What is the record for oldest?

Well Yenn, I have done some searches on the internet and I have not found anyone listed as "the oldest pilot to circumnavigate Australia" so there seems to be an opening in the Guinness Book of records if you wanted to attempt it....and if you did it with no electronic aids only maps I reckon you may hold this record for a long time...

David

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

agreed DGL Fox .................... its a fantastic opportunity to get in the record books - and the longer an older person delays the record attempt - the more chance they have of having their names as the record holder for the longer period (just don't leave it to long though)

• Agree 1

I think it would be a great adventure for an older pilot and if someone decided to do this with maps only, like they did in the old days, you could show the youngers how it was done..I hope someone takes up the challenge. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

David

• Agree 1

Lol if some of the old fellas I know tried it with just maps and compass it would be a hilarious chain of disasters which may or may not result in a complete lap!008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Haha 1

I think it would be a great adventure for an older pilot and if someone decided to do this with maps only, like they did in the old days, you could show the youngers how it was done..I hope someone takes up the challenge. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifDavid

Even more authentic in a vintage aircraft....

• Agree 1

I like anything above stall speed plus 10 knots, being in the air is what counts.

Mind you, if you had the call of nature, I think you'd appreciate the faster cruise speed. I hate those other "in flight options" available to us 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif.

Lucky you don't have an artificial bladder - bag on your belly. Endurance 2 hrs, or it feels like a football, and can cause a leak.

• Agree 1

Mind you, if you had the call of nature, I think you'd appreciate the faster cruise speed. I hate those other "in flight options" available to us 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif.

A case of he/she with the biggest bladder wins.

• Agree 1

And I thought bladder bags were able to make you fly longer.....004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif.

Yes, if you use a leg bag with a tube from the belly bag, but I think that would be uncomfortable/inconvenient in a small plane. Like an overnight bag lets you sleep all night, but wouldn't like to use it in a LSA or GA aircraft, particularly as PIC.

Why bother with the bag part, just discharge the tube overboard.

Many years ago I took some heavy drinkers from Rocky to Archerfield. We left with full stubbies nad we arrived with full stubbies, but that was after recycling the contents. They wanted to throw them out as they refilled them, but I wouldn't open the C182 window.

Why bother with the bag part, just discharge the tube overboard.Many years ago I took some heavy drinkers from Rocky to Archerfield. We left with full stubbies nad we arrived with full stubbies, but that was after recycling the contents. They wanted to throw them out as they refilled them, but I wouldn't open the C182 window.

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I still think flight planning stops every 2 hours is the better option.radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif

I used to travel in a twin with a pissaphone, a funnel and length of hose plumbed outside. It definitely sucked.

Hmmm... solo member of the Mile High Club, are you?

• Haha 2

Happy to be corrected, but my take on this is that only plane (a RAAF Fairey IIID) has ever flown around Australia, and that was almost a century ago, in 1924. Every so called 'circumnavigation' since has essentially been a cross country, even allowing that some sectors might periodically pick up the coast.

While young Oliver O'Halloran and his ilk deserve every encouragement, and accolade, his route falls well short of a circumnavigation (which is something he would probably also concede). Take just one sector for example. By bypassing Cape York he reduces by two-thirds the distance needed to properly circumnavigate the Cape.

But clearly, I'm envious.

• Informative 1

About the only part ATC could knock on the head would be the remote area of Western Tasmania.

I had missed the point that he was not going to Cape York in the original post. To be a fair cinkum circumnavigation I would expect to include at the least Bamaga and to pass Cape York. It would be interesting to see how mucj of the caostline he misses.