light aircraft & drone collision? -Parafield

Aircraft travelling at what 60knts minimum with a aluminium leading edge hits a drone with sharp edges and spinning props and it leaves a smooth dent with no sharp edges, seriously?...

Yep, I've seen a few bat strikes that look just like that. I'd bet there are more bats than drones out there.

• Winner 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not a bat expert but they seem to move at night mostly and at low levels. A snowball can hurt if it's going fast enough. I've seen wedgetail eagles hit a 182 leading edge and go into the wing spar. Raindrops will erode aluminium at above 400 mph. I think drones should be considered dangerous to aircraft. Nev

6:30 pm in July on final, sounds like just where you might meet a bat.

I've seen damage ranging from smooth dents like the pics in the ATSB report, to shattered windscreens from bats, but I've also seen the radome completely caved in on an F111 from a wedgetail, complete with a allay foot in the radar. I have some photos of an F111 almost lost to a pelican, with the radome shredded, one engined fodded and the other not much better.

While I think drones can be hazardous, the photo of the damage doesn't look like they hit anything with hard bits on the outside.

I live only about 6miles from the perimiter of Sydney's Mascot airport, but not in line with any runways, and I found that with the software in my early Phantom 2 Vision plus, it would not even let it get as high as the floodlights around the local sports oval (about 40ft) but for what I wanted to do, I was quite happy with that, as all I wanted to do was fly along the local river. One has to be responsible, and in most cases the software takes care of that anyway. As a responsible flier,I find it hard to believe some of the claims made.

My first drone a $50 screamer from Kmart did not have these features, but weighed a matter of a few ounces and was mainly polystyrene foam.

I was departing Bankstown at 1000ft today and just outside the boundary there was a drone flying at our altitude maybe 200 metres away. My passenger who is a 747 captain (reliable witness ?) also saw it when I pointed it out. I reported it to the tower. They are out there

• Like 1

Madness! Like there was someone who lived near the start of 29R who let a flock of pigeons out for a fly, and a couple of dozen of them were circling very close to a Cessna 152 which was on late finals.

I've also seen too many of the local Ibis community getting a bit close to comfort, not that they have some boof-head on the ground controlling them.

I was departing Bankstown at 1000ft today and just outside the boundary there was a drone flying at our altitude maybe 200 metres away. My passenger who is a 747 captain (reliable witness ?) also saw it when I pointed it out. I reported it to the tower. They are out there

Maybe a reliable whiteness, my father is a 747 captain and wouldn't know a thing about drones

ATSB confirmed it was a wildlife strike, SUPRISE SUPRISE.

On 11 July 2017, a SOCATA TB-10 Tobago aircraft collided with an object at approximately 6.30pm during its final approach at Parafield Airport in South Australia.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) commenced an investigation and swabs were taken of the damaged area on the leading edge of the right wing. Those swabs were tested for DNA by the Australian Museum, and the results have established that the object struck was a grey-headed flying fox.

This finding is consistent with the known behaviours of flying foxes, who can travel up to 50 kilometres from their roosts to feed at night.

As a result of this evidence, the ATSB is discontinuing its investigation, concluding the cause of the incident was wildlife strike.

Chief Commissioner Greg Hood said wildlife strike was the most common occurrence reported to the ATSB.

“Last year there was a total of 1954 incidents and accidents involving aircraft collisions with wildlife reported to the ATSB. Our research has found that bats and flying foxes, swallows and martins, kites, and lapwings and plovers are the most commonly struck type of flying animal.

“We will continue to provide information to pilots, aerodrome and airline operators, regulators, and other aviation industry participants on managing the risks associated with bird and animal strikes as part of our focus on improving transport safety.”

The Chief Commissioner also acknowledged the work of the Australian Centre for Wildlife Genomics within the Australian Museum in analysing the samples and delivering its final report to the ATSB.

• Informative 1

ATSB confirmed it was a wildlife strike, SUPRISE SUPRISE.On 11 July 2017, a SOCATA TB-10 Tobago aircraft collided with an object at approximately 6.30pm during its final approach at Parafield Airport in South Australia.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) commenced an investigation and swabs were taken of the damaged area on the leading edge of the right wing. Those swabs were tested for DNA by the Australian Museum, and the results have established that the object struck was a grey-headed flying fox.

This finding is consistent with the known behaviours of flying foxes, who can travel up to 50 kilometres from their roosts to feed at night.

As a result of this evidence, the ATSB is discontinuing its investigation, concluding the cause of the incident was wildlife strike.

Chief Commissioner Greg Hood said wildlife strike was the most common occurrence reported to the ATSB.

“Last year there was a total of 1954 incidents and accidents involving aircraft collisions with wildlife reported to the ATSB. Our research has found that bats and flying foxes, swallows and martins, kites, and lapwings and plovers are the most commonly struck type of flying animal.

“We will continue to provide information to pilots, aerodrome and airline operators, regulators, and other aviation industry participants on managing the risks associated with bird and animal strikes as part of our focus on improving transport safety.”

The Chief Commissioner also acknowledged the work of the Australian Centre for Wildlife Genomics within the Australian Museum in analysing the samples and delivering its final report to the ATSB.

Yeah what a surprise.

• Agree 1

Not calling you a liar but these sort of signings put a strain on the imagination. A DJI Phantom style drone is about 350 mm X 350 mm in size and at 600 ft pretty much out of sight. How did you park plane while you pointed it out to the 747 guy? What sort of a screwball would fly one at that height especially near a airport?

• Agree 1

Not hard to imagine at all Teckair, how many times have you seen a chicken hawk or similar sized small bird while flying, they are hard to see at times but other times you can spot them ahead for a fair amount of time. I know for certain of a couple of drones within our district that have been well over the 500ft agl mark so they definitely are up and around. Having said that birds are a lot more prolific so I don't think drones are a huge safety issue but certainly we should be mindful of them, they don't duck as good as birds..

Not calling you a liar but these sort of signings put a strain on the imagination. A DJI Phantom style drone is about 350 mm X 350 mm in size and at 600 ft pretty much out of sight. How did you park plane while you pointed it out to the 747 guy? What sort of a screwball would fly one at that height especially near a airport?

I almost didn't post because of responses like this. To be perfectly honest I don't care what you think. I know what we saw.

• Like 3

As in politics and religion people believe what they want to believe. This thread is a classic example a dent that looked nothing like what a drone would make no evidence all that it was a drone but still people thought that was what happened.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

A soft edged dent is not a drone strike. I don't agree they are not a hazard to aircraft, particularly U/Ls .Try being in a hailstorm. Even one a golf ball size will impress you though I don't know what the terminal velocity of one is. Most damage in hail is at the leading edges, so the plane's speed has a lot to do with that. The drone could be coming towards you so it is the closing speed that determines the energy. Nev

• Agree 1

A soft edged dent is not a drone strike. I don't agree they are not a hazard to aircraft, particularly U/Ls .Try being in a hailstorm. Even one a golf ball size will impress you though I don't know what the terminal velocity of one is. Most damage in hail is at the leading edges, so the plane's speed has a lot to do with that. The drone could be coming towards you so it is the closing speed that determines the energy. Nev

Nev could you name the post where someone has said drones are not a hazard to aircraft .