Drifter makes emergency landing on Surfers Paradise beach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stricken powered glider .... hmmm. Would that be an ultralight ?

Nah - couldn’t be because 1. the people were unhurt and 2. the “powered glider” looks just fine and clearly is not a death trap.

My Christmas wish is that in 2018 one reporter - just 1 - actually ask the pilot what the hell it is they are flying AND actually report it as it is.

• Agree 1

Emergency crews were called to Old Burleigh Road on the Gold Coast about 9.30am today after reports a plane had landed on the beach.

The pilot, Mark Waterford, was not injured after successfully landing his Drifter 415 light sports aircraft on a stretch of sand between Northcliffe Surf Life Saving Club and Broadbeach SLSC.

Full story here: Gold Coast Bulletin

Ok. If you read my comment on the other thread for this I’m so happy to see a reporter do exactly what I said we don’t see. Report facts and leave it pretty much as that.

• Like 1

Ok. If you read my comment on the other thread for this I’m so happy to see a reporter do exactly what I said we don’t see. Report facts and leave it pretty much as that.

I agree Kasper.

My bad, i didnt see the other thread. Appologies all for the duplication..

I agree Kasper.My bad, i didnt see the other thread. Appologies all for the duplication..

No complaint from me - this thread is a report of the incident. The other is a standard non-report

• Informative 1

Stricken powered glider .... hmmm. Would that be an ultralight ?Nah - couldn’t be because 1. the people were unhurt and 2. the “powered glider” looks just fine and clearly is not a death trap.

My Christmas wish is that in 2018 one reporter - just 1 - actually ask the pilot what the hell it is they are flying AND actually report it as it is.

Your wish has been granted Kasper! See Gold Coast Bulletin link above....

• Agree 1

BIG HAMMERAnd away he goes into the wide-blue yonder.

Hang-on, why did he end up on the beach?

spacesailor

Engine decided to have a rest - and trust me a wb drifter is not a long distance glider

I love this comment from the man in the suit....

Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson said the incident was being investigated.

“We’ll be getting a more detailed report from the pilot and reviewing it to ensure the engine problem is fixed,” he said.

So until he gets that engine running again he won't be allowed to take off. And that's official!

• Haha 4

was 25.rego I forget the three numbers I think started with a 4 .they were on the boom but I just caught the end of the report on the 7 news .Bernie .

so what happened about the requirement to have them on the wings and the rudder fin?

Where are the rego numbers and why was he in CTA, or was he?

On the news David (Waterford) said he was at 500ft, Class C LL is 1500ft between Porpoise Point and just north of Burleigh Heads, so he was clear of the Gold Coast CTR. I've met him at Heck Field quite a few times, he's a diligent type.

so what happened about the requirement to have them on the wings and the rudder fin?

The requirement for them to be on the wings went out quite a while ago, perhaps 3 years ago? Now they just have to be on each side, it's not mandatory for them to be on the fin/rudder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1