WHAT IS IT?

WHAT IS IT?  

1. 1. WHAT IS IT?

• GAUGES
    • CAMERA

Its NOT a gunsight as they look forward and this looks down. Not sure what its off

Looks like normal magnifier gunsight. You look through the glass forward ( not down;) )

Look up P51 gunsight or simalar

• Agree 2

It's probably a top secret matter transfer device - possession alone will guarantee they throw the key away - no trial

It is or was probably an ITARS controlled item at some stage, which might as well result in the same if it were sent to the wrong country.

• Like 1

I don't really know, I am guessing it is a HUD; but with the airspeed and altitude being low I would say it maybe used in a cropduster aircraft or similar.

They're one aircraft you can't afford to be looking down at instruments all the time when doing regular tight maneuvers.

It's only a guess.

I PURCHAASED THIS AT AN ESTATE SALE AND DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT IT IS. THERE ARE NO MARKINGS EXCEPT WHAT IS ON THE PANEL. THANKS

Doesnt look very old , its using phillips head screws , binary coded decimal thumb wheels , the knobs are 1970 style plastic that we used on a lot of projects back then. Must be a range finder cause it says "range"

Range usually means that your going to drop , fire or throw somthing at someone. MPs will be at your door soon! Have fun with it!

I PURCHAASED THIS AT AN ESTATE SALE AND DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT IT IS. THERE ARE NO MARKINGS EXCEPT WHAT IS ON THE PANEL. THANKS

It's probably a GSAP (Gunsight aiming point) but a strange one, given the height, speed settings on the face of it. In the days of Sabres, Mirages, Macchis etc, a similar device was mounted on the top of the panel. The 'Pipper', the aiming point, was shown, via a collimator onto the glass, providing the pilot with the lead necessary for the relative speeds & angles between the combatants. It was an early form of HUD (head up display). The ones I'm familiar with were gyro controlled & the base unit was much thicker than the one shown, as the gyro was contained in the panel mounted device.

Other comments about gunship use might make sense in view of the speed & altitude setting controls, somewhat slower than the Sabres & Mirages of old.

It's probably a GSAP (Gunsight aiming point) but a strange one, given the height, speed settings on the face of it. In the days of Sabres, Mirages, Macchis etc, a similar device was mounted on the top of the panel. The 'Pipper', the aiming point, was shown, via a collimator onto the glass, providing the pilot with the lead necessary for the relative speeds & angles between the combatants. It was an early form of HUD (head up display). The ones I'm familiar with were gyro controlled & the base unit was much thicker than the one shown, as the gyro was contained in the panel mounted device.Other comments about gunship use might make sense in view of the speed & altitude setting controls, somewhat slower than the Sabres & Mirages of old.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO, I'M STILL CONFUSED. THE OTHER STUFF IN THE LOT WAS A DIRECTIONAL GYRO, A WAKMANN 8 DAY CLOCK, A NARCO CONVERTOR/INDICATOR AND ANOTHER NARCO MARK 12? IS ALL IT SAYS. MAYBE IT WAS ALL PART OF A PROJECT.

It's probably a GSAP (Gunsight aiming point) but a strange one, given the height, speed settings on the face of it. In the days of Sabres, Mirages, Macchis etc, a similar device was mounted on the top of the panel. The 'Pipper', the aiming point, was shown, via a collimator onto the glass, providing the pilot with the lead necessary for the relative speeds & angles between the combatants. It was an early form of HUD (head up display). The ones I'm familiar with were gyro controlled & the base unit was much thicker than the one shown, as the gyro was contained in the panel mounted device.Other comments about gunship use might make sense in view of the speed & altitude setting controls, somewhat slower than the Sabres & Mirages of old.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO, I'M STILL CONFUSED. THE OTHER STUFF IN THE LOT WAS A DIRECTIONAL GYRO, A WAKMANN 8 DAY CLOCK, A NARCO CONVERTOR/INDICATOR AND ANOTHER NARCO MARK 12? IS ALL IT SAYS. MAYBE IT WAS ALL PART OF A PROJECT.

I don't really know, I am guessing it is a HUD; but with the airspeed and altitude being low I would say it maybe used in a cropduster aircraft or similar.They're one aircraft you can't afford to be looking down at instruments all the time when doing regular tight maneuvers.

It's only a guess.

Looks like normal magnifier gunsight. You look through the glass forward ( not down;) )Look up P51 gunsight or simalar

I'm hazarding a WAG that it's a laser sighting device for an artillery field piece that's designed to shoot down low-flying, slow-flying aircraft, such as spotter aircraft and helicopters.

That would be the reason for the ALT only reading 0-2000 ft, and the speeds only ranging up to 120 kts.

On the right, the control positions are - BORESIGHT, NORMAL, STOW.

On the left, "ELEV" is the gun elevation angle.

Now - we're all going to get visits from the Black Helicopters at midnight, because we all Googled, "bomb aiming device", or "bomb sighting device". 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1

It's certainly an interesting puzzle, with what appear to be very coarse and minimal altitude and speed adjustments.

I'd like to see pics of the underside and 'front' to see if the lens gear ends up looking forward or down.

What is BORESIGHT? I had thought that BRST might mean BURST, as in a short burst of something?

Boresight is a feature used to ensure the person viewing the display is in the right place (the middle) when viewing a diagnostic image. In a helicopter the aimer would move his or her seat up/down until the boresight image was in the middle of the display

OK, SO I ADDED MORE PHOTOS, HOPEFULLY THEY WILL HELP. EVERYBODY HAS A DIFFERENT OPPINION. I DID TAKE THE BOTTOM WOOD PIECE OFF AND THERE ARE PHOTOS OF WHAT IS THERE. THANKS AGAIN

DSC03779.JPG.8c4dda8a711475d217618f54ee412277.JPG

DSC03774.JPG.593e9fb9b9c8de76173c0ec3013a5f5b.JPG

DSC03781.JPG.02aefb2831e43ffd8af742cad66b8812.JPG

DSC03787.JPG.ebf54ecb40a18272e94f8d59f8b2c8a8.JPG

DSC03783.JPG.db59155cda8f15849ed92547aaa92790.JPG

DSC03785.JPG.02a77d779c5a3a7648110c1efb8021eb.JPG

DSC03790.JPG.057832c12ba0ca77197059509241eea9.JPG