Boomerang regulations

rgmwa

Just came across this while idly perusing the Internet:

On December 12, 2017, US President Trump signed into law a rule that requires registration with the FAA when using boomerangs outdoors in the United States that weigh .55 pounds or more. Indoor use or recreational use of boomerangs weighting less than .55 pounds (0.2495 kg) do not require FAA registration. People using boomerangs for recreation which meet the weight standard are considered "pilots" and the boomerangs are considered "model aircraft" under the rule because boomerangs utilize lift when flying through the air. Boomerangs must be marked with the FAA registration number when using them outdoors and there are special rules when using boomerangs near airports. The rule was implemented as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018.[22][23][24] Those using boomerangs of any size commercially (for money) are required to obtain a commercial UAS pilot's license.

Anyone have a boomerang? Have you notified CASA and got it registered as VH Experimental or maybe got RAAUS 19-xxxx rego. And do you have a licence to throw it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just came across this while idly perusing the Internet:On December 12, 2017, US President Trump signed into law a rule that requires registration with the FAA when using boomerangs outdoors in the United States that weigh .55 pounds or more. Indoor use or recreational use of boomerangs weighting less than .55 pounds (0.2495 kg) do not require FAA registration. People using boomerangs for recreation which meet the weight standard are considered "pilots" and the boomerangs are considered "model aircraft" under the rule because boomerangs utilize lift when flying through the air. Boomerangs must be marked with the FAA registration number when using them outdoors and there are special rules when using boomerangs near airports. The rule was implemented as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018.[22][23][24] Those using boomerangs of any size commercially (for money) are required to obtain a commercial UAS pilot's license.

Anyone have a boomerang? Have you notified CASA and got it registered as VH Experimental or maybe got RAAUS 19-xxxx rego. And do you have a licence to throw it?

Looks like a joke to me.

• Agree 3

Well, you and I might think so, but here's the source: Boomerang - Wikipedia

But look at their definition of a model aircraft:

Model aircraft means an unmanned aircraft that is:(1) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

(2) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and

(3) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

A boomerang fails on that point...

Well, you and I might think so, but here's the source: Boomerang - Wikipedia

Well not wanting to be a naysayer but it would appear to me that someone has set that up for a laugh.

I went looking on the FAA site (albeit half heartedly) to find out how to register a boomerang but the closest I got was registering unmanned aircraft which was only required if they weighed over 55pounds (no decimal point) so I would assume that you do not have to register your boomerang unless it weighs over 55 pounds in which case................ what I am getting at is that is a very heavy boomerang.

• Helpful 1

This is possibly some form of repercussion towards Turnbull for lampooning Trump that time.

It's obviously discriminately aimed at the Australian boomerang, as there is no mention of having to register 'Frisbees'.

Makes you think...

I guess Americans are lucky - because a boomerang is primarily, an exceptionally dangerous weapon. The Second Amendment has saved all Americans, again.

There will be no need in America to have a boomerang licence - because it is in the Constitution that you are fully entitled to own as many boomerangs as your wife will tolerate.

In any other country ruled by a Trump, this new legislation would mean boomerangs would need to be licenced, and owners would need to be formally qualified to have a dangerous weapons licence, and undertake safety instruction courses in Safe Boomerang Handling & Storage.

No Boomerang would be allowed to be thrown (read "discharged" in the Regulations) near populated areas, across roads, or within 1.6kms of any public place, house, or people.

Unregistered boomerang owners caught with loaded boomerangs in public, would be charged with possession and unsafe handling of a dangerous weapon.

Even if the boomerang owner was licenced and could prove that the boomerang safety latch was on, this would still not be a lawful excuse.

God knows how many unregistered, unlawfully-possessed boomerangs there are out there. A terrorist attack by boomerang is something the security forces have obviously not even considered - probably because it's just too awful to contemplate. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Haha 1

SDQDI you may well be right .... It is the internet after all. "...weighting less than .55 pounds (0.2495 kg)" may also be a clue that all is not quite what is seems despite Trump's undeniable ignorance. However, just to be safe I've reserved VH-RET to make sure I get it back.

rgmwa

• Haha 3

your so transparently an american apologist TP

You're

I guess Americans are lucky - because a boomerang is primarily, an exceptionally dangerous weapon. The Second Amendment has saved all Americans, again.There will be no need in America to have a boomerang licence - because it is in the Constitution that you are fully entitled to own as many boomerangs as your wife will tolerate.

In any other country ruled by a Trump, this new legislation would mean boomerangs would need to be licenced, and owners would need to be formally qualified to have a dangerous weapons licence, and undertake safety instruction courses in Safe Boomerang Handling & Storage.

No Boomerang would be allowed to be thrown (read "discharged" in the Regulations) near populated areas, across roads, or within 1.6kms of any public place, house, or people.

Unregistered boomerang owners caught with loaded boomerangs in public, would be charged with possession and unsafe handling of a dangerous weapon.

Even if the boomerang owner was licenced and could prove that the boomerang safety latch was on, this would still not be a lawful excuse.

God knows how many unregistered, unlawfully-possessed boomerangs there are out there. A terrorist attack by boomerang is something the security forces have obviously not even considered - probably because it's just too awful to contemplate. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Maybe they've been watching MAD MAX (The Road Warrior for the Yanks)....004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Agree 1

The legislation referred to "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018." has sod all to do with boomerangs. Serves as a useful reminder that Wiki is just a collation of individual inputs and is self moderating. Somebody thought it worth slipping in a funny.

Agreed. I've edited the Wikipedia entry to delete the reference to `Regulations' and cancelled my VH-RET reservation.

Case closed. I just hope you guys are right!

Cheers

rgmwa

• Haha 1

Agreed. I've edited the Wikipedia entry to delete the reference to `Regulations' and cancelled my VH-RET reservation.Case closed. I just hope you guys are right!

Cheers

rgmwa

Now now own up RGMWA! I know it must have been you that put that up on Wikipedia in the first place just to see how many of us would jump at it 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 1

Actually on that note why did you correct it? I reckon that is a cracker of a joke and should have been left there to pay dividends into the future

Well, you can always put it back SDQDI. At least we'll know who was responsible ... or should that be irresponsible? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 1

For anybody with some Joliffe cartoons stored away, hide them quick or they will indeed give visible proof that that a boomerang is indeed a deadly weapon!! For the younger PC generation you might have to ask Grandad who Jolliffe was, or Salt Bush Bill in Google might be some use.

I have a boomerang, from a very unlikely source, that could be well considered lethal. In 1976 I was in the UK on Rural Youth exchange and when staying in Yorkshire was introduced to a gentleman making boomerangs out of laminated plywood. Worked brilliantly, and one it is still hanging on my study wall. Whats more it had around the world trip when my daughter had a Rotary Exchange in Denmark, and it was demonstrated to the host family, and then school the following day. It was then in my luggage when we went through the USA, but it was 2000, and the World Trade Centre Towers were proudly still standing.

It is indeed interesting to consider that the Aborigines may well have had an understanding of aerodynamics that would have preceded da Vinci, and the helicopter guys were slow learners!

• Like 1

My dad found this one near Old Halls Creek in 1983 while metal detecting for gold. He took it home to Victoria and it's been hanging up on his workshop wall ever since.

He passed away in 2016, and we've decided it should be returned to its place of origin, or as best we can, so we're handing it over to the WA Museum next week. It's about 60 cm long, very weathered and quite fragile. They think it's about 150 years old.

upload_2018-1-23_5-47-36.png.dd068b1561a95ba6740319756866e06f.png

• Like 7

For anybody with some Joliffe cartoons stored away, hide them quick or they will indeed give visible proof that that a boomerang is indeed a deadly weapon!!

Oh no... we had one in our checked luggage recently, a gift for a friend in Germany! Wonder what they thought was more deadly - the boomerang or the jar of Vegemite...

• Haha 2