RV-6 prop strike on Tecnam, then refuels and takes off!

Guest aviast

Tecnam operator was lucky that the Exposure Draft of Part 91 hadn’t been signed by the GG otherwise he’d be up for a fine of $10,500 ...[ATTACH]53948[/ATTACH]

This is not a comment on the particular matters under investigation.

For the described offence to apply, the person must first "park" the aircraft.

I can find no definition of "park" in the CASR but it seems to me that if the pilot is sitting in the aircraft preparatory to starting the engine the pilot is probably not in contravention.

Kaz

• Haha 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticing the paint colour on the Tecnam stabilizer, I wonder if it was coming back from repairs. Hope his insurance company gives lifetime warranty on repairs.

Just out of the adjacent panel shop...kaz

To the lay person, and the non tailwheel endorsed pilots, it's hard to understand how a pilot couldn't 'see' another aircraft. My initial response was very much the same.

However, let's look a bit closer, as all may not be so clear cut.

This RV6 has a tip-up canopy, which partly obscures forward vision - you need to have your head out the side. And, which side was the pilot flying from? In this case, where the impact was on the left side - it could point to a pilot operating the aircraft from the right hand seat. If you look at the pics, it will become obvious that the right hand position offers rather poor visibility to the left side.

Now, given that one usually has the canopy in the 'trail' position after landing and when taxying - where the locking latch rests on the rear structural bar and is set so that sudden gusts won't lift the canopy up and damage hinges - the visibility is still less than great, and this still applies to a PIC in the right seat.

Seating position in RV6s is also very limited in the vertical. If you pack cushions under yourself to improve your forward vision - then you have about 3/5th of 5/8ths of a mm between skull and Perspex. And this can become a worry in turbulence at RV6 cruise speeds. Most RV pilots seem to prefer more skull clearance to visibility over the panel.

As someone who flys t/w RVs regularly from the right seat, I can vouch for the limited cross-cockpit visibility. I'm a convert to more cushions, at risk of head bruising. And, I insist on clean windscreens at all times, and, no clutter on top of the panel.

Now, the RV taildraggers are far from the worst for forward visibility. Sit in a Cessna 180 or 185 one day, and you'll appreciate why they have such a fearsome record for loss-of-control.

Let's reserve judgement on the actual cause of the accident until later. Leaving the scene is entirely another matter.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

This who fly tail dragged know how much, or how little visibility they have. They should also taxi accordingly. My pet gripe was being guided at fly in by Marshall’s that work from directly ahead of the plane. At least most of the RVs can be swung around on one wheel to get a view ahead.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

wow so sad, sorry to hear that - must have been sorrow for all concerned, including the pilot of the warbird...a second or two earlier on the brakes and....different outcome

aviation can be a cruel mistress, but then life in general is like that - if I hadn't taken the shortcut, or if I'd left home a minute earlier (or later) - all the same, really - when your time is up...

BP

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Meanwhile in cars we have cameras and sensors to cover blind spots and autonomous emergency braking if you don't see something in front (and now behind also when reversing). Maybe in a decade or so someone will jerry-rig a camera to a tail dragger, progress!

• Helpful 1

ya know what, I always thought that a tail dragger with a forward vision problem would benefit significantly by having a little camera mounted under the nose of the aircraft

you could feed the video back to a drop down tablet for reference while on the ground, and then fold it up and record the flight onto the tablet for future viewing - it ain't rocket surgery, folks...

this stuff is available for FPV options for drones and does not cost a lot, and it's not all that difficult to set up...after a few grubs were seen checking out houses in our street I popped a camera inside my letterbox that transmits to the house for under $50 - records vehicle details and number plates perfectly and nobody even knows it's there...

BP

• Like 2

Sadly the passenger died. Oshkosh a few years ago.

Oh that's just awful, can't imagine what those involved went thru after that accident. Flying is risky, we each elevate the risk factor as soon as we push our planes out of the hangar

ya know what, I always thought that a tail dragger with a forward vision problem would benefit significantly by having a little camera mounted under the nose of the aircraftyou could feed the video back to a drop down tablet for reference while on the ground, and then fold it up and record the flight onto the tablet for future viewing - it ain't rocket surgery, folks...

this stuff is available for FPV options for drones and does not cost a lot, and it's not all that difficult to set up...after a few grubs were seen checking out houses in our street I popped a camera inside my letterbox that transmits to the house for under $50 - records vehicle details and number plates perfectly and nobody even knows it's there...

BP

ya know what, I always thought that a tail dragger with a forward vision problem would benefit significantly by having a little camera mounted under the nose of the aircraftyou could feed the video back to a drop down tablet for reference while on the ground, and then fold it up and record the flight onto the tablet for future viewing - it ain't rocket surgery, folks...

BP

I have just that, a camera mounted under the plane with a small screen on the inst panel. I don't look at it too much as it could have the reverse effect, distracting.

• Like 1

this is the kind of miniature stuff I am talking about, commonly used with FPV (first person viewing) on drones etc:

Caddx Turbo S1 1/3 CCD 600TVL IR Blocked FPV Camera Yellow/Green NTSC/PAL DC 5V-40V Wide Voltage

of course you could use any kind of security camera for a more 'professional' install but these little beasties do a good job and it shouldn't be too difficult to work out a link to the tablet you're using for OzRunways....

BP