Jab down, Bundaberg

What an idiot report - "The plane landed upside down." It landed then flipped. If not for the culvert, he may have pulled off a good forced landing, despite the length of the grass.

I love these government self-improvers that use pointless and excessive words to add some sort of perceived credibility: "Just before 4pm we responded to reports of a light aircraft down, upon responding to the general vicinity it was noted that there was a light aircraft upside down," he said.

What is wrong with: "When we arrived at the scene we found an aircraft upside down"?

Of course it may have been just the quality of reporting that was the issue.

Good to see the pilot got out ok

Just another testament to the survivability of the Jab airframe protecting its occupants

Just a shame so many of them have been tested in this field

Just another testament to the survivability of the Jab airframe protecting its occupants

To be fair to other makes, most high wing's cabins survive that type of flip quite well.

Them Jabaroo's are susceptible to snapping the lower wing attach carry through bolt when hard core aerobatics in excess of 9G's are pulled. The recovery technique if done correctly is to fly the aircraft back to the airfield up side down until on short final the aircraft is rolled to the upright position just before landing. Obviously the pilot has been poorly trained and did not do the well known 'right side up recovery' technique correctly.........:rotary:

What an idiot report - "The plane landed upside down." It landed then flipped. If not for the culvert, he may have pulled off a good forced landing, despite the length of the grass.

That wasn't what was written; it was "Despite landing upside-down, a male pilot managed to walk away from the plane unharmed, according to police. "

That is correct colloquial English, as in "the car rolled over, landing in a ditch", or "the student didn't do his homework and landed up in trouble, the word "landing" being the equivalent of "finishing up".

And it wasn't one report, it was a summary of updates, where more and more details were provided as people on the ground were able to provide more information.

I just wish people would not be so quick to laugh at someone else’s misfortune. 

How quick some are to turn on their own. 

I thought we were a community. Maybe I should not assume. 

Poor form. 

I just wish people would not be so quick to laugh at someone else’s misfortune. How quick some are to turn on their own. 

I thought we were a community. Maybe I should not assume. 

Poor form. 

I don't think anybody is laughing at the pilot (there but for the grace of god go i) ...more the media..

That is correct colloquial English

That may well be the case in general, but specifically, when talking about an aircraft terminating a flight, the term "landing" generally relates to making contact with the earth, the manner in which it does so, whether controlled or uncontrolled.  

The English language has many traps like this and you have to be careful in your choice of words. Like the classic example, "The lady answered the door in her dressing gown."  Why did she have a door in her dressing gown?

It's pretty  OFF to see the  Jabiru bashing that's still going on. There's a lot of Jabiru owners that won't be impressed by this generally not very informed commentary from people who would be somewhat pi$$ed off if their pet project  was ridiculed and made fun of in a similar vein.. I don't believe it's called for or funny in the slightest. I actually think you have let this site  and  our type of aviation down immensely by letting your selves go that level. ALL operators who obey the law and operate legally are entitled to  more respect especially by their fellow aviators, in our own forums. Nev

Everyone should know by now that the media never get the story right and somewhat dramatize the incidents, if it wasn't in Bundaberg it most probably would've been a Cessna. The pilot may be a member of this forum so please consider the way he is feeling right now, you never know next week people may be joking about your misfortune! Glad the pilot is ok, at least the Jab factory is not far away and his bird can be fixed to as new condition asap.

If he had electrical problems he should have turned the electrical power off and landed at bundabug, the motor would have run fine without the electrical system, I had a similar problem, a LAME put the wrong size fuse and almost burnt out my panel, and electrical smoke was coming from my panel. Now I keep away from LAMEs 

so a long story short l just flew home, replaced the damaged wires put the correct fuse, now happy days 

that was 600hrs ago. 

Daniel

"The lady answered the door in her dressing gown."  Why did she have a door in her dressing gown?

In order to answer your question, I need to know if it was a front door or a back door...

I just wish people would not be so quick to laugh at someone else’s misfortune.Poor form. 

Rubbish, myself and plenty of people I have known throughout my life find humour out of most situations, and that very much includes laughing at our own losses.

Gawwd knows I've had the misfortune to spend, or rather waste,  enough time of my life with miserable, deadly serious people with no sense of humour at all, not for me thanks.

If you find a post offensive, you have the option of reporting it or putting the poster on ignore.

Facthunter, I would say the Jab bashing around here has reduced massively over the last year or two, to only a very minor jabs here and there. Ok, that pun wasn't intended.

Guys, please if you remember we said that we were going to really clamp down on the aircraft type bashing so reluctantly I have had to remove some posts from this thread to keep in line with this policy. We want Jabiru owners, flyers, maintainers etc to come here and feel welcomed otherwise we all will be missing a huge part of our great industry.

From everyone here at Recreational Flying (.com) I hope the pilot and occupants are ok and are back up in the air again very soon

Guest Guest
Rubbish, myself and plenty of people I have known throughout my life find humour out of most situations, and that very much includes laughing at our own losses.

Gawwd knows I've had the misfortune to spend, or rather waste,  enough time of my life with miserable, deadly serious people with no sense of humour at all, not for me thanks.

If you find a post offensive, you have the option of reporting it or putting the poster on ignore.

Facthunter, I would say the Jab bashing around here has reduced massively over the last year or two, to only a very minor jabs here and there. Ok, that pun wasn't intended.

Well said Bex, sadly we now live in a very fragile sensitive society where a SOH or the good old Aussie way of poking fun at someone has been suppressed by the do-gooders!☹

As probably everyone on here knows, I fly a CH701 with a 2200 Jab engine. It is lighter, simpler and cheaper than a Rotax and it is MADE IN AUSTRALIA. We should be supporting our manufacturers not running them down. Yes, they had their problems, but I know from experience that so also did Lycomings and Continentals, don’t know enough about Rotax to comment. There are plenty of Jabirus at Warwick and they make the hours without problems. I still think that most of the problems can be traced to lax maintenance.

I thought I would get a bit of that  but I'll wear it. The Jab owners I would suggest are probably a little fed up with what's been happening to them, for years now. and it all started when CASA over reacted  and were somewhat ill informed.. I'm not going to re run the arguments and the History ..A bit of  taking the mickey out of someone is OK but it's not well done, mostly and the individual  involved won't be too impressed  by what can be insensitive and ignorant comment. 

I only get insulted by people I respect anyhow. As tar as reporting people I don't work like that. The average person here has enough sense to make up their own mind, and i don't resile from being safety conscious. I've lost too many good friends over the years, to not be.  ALL pilots should feel  welcome here, including owners of Jabiru's.. Nev

I think that light aviation in Australia has problems enough without us squabbling amongst ourselves. We all have our reasons and preferences for the type of flying we choose to do, but should be, and I certainly am, interested in everyone’s flying stories. Sites like this one are ideal for sharing thoughts, stories and experiences in a friendly manner.

I think that light aviation in Australia has problems enough without us squabbling amongst ourselves. We all have our reasons and preferences for the type of flying we choose to do, but should be, and I certainly am, interested in everyone’s flying stories. Sites like this one are ideal for sharing thoughts, stories and experiences in a friendly manner.

I am with you mate.  Think of it from the pilot's point of view!  He quite possibly nearly died, and all gets on here is schoolyard laughing and giggling at his expense.  I am sorry - if that's the "Aussie way" then we have serious issues.

I am not saying we should all become numb robots without a sense of humour - but seriously - We need to think about it.  Ask me how I know!!! 

He quite possibly nearly died,

No, no he didn't.

The results are known factually, and there is no need for further drama queen hyperbole.

Oh good, finally worked out how to activate my ignore list, welcome to it.