New Federal Cabinet

red750

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced his new cabinet. Michael McCormack retains the portfolio of Infrastructure and Transport, as well as Deputy PM.

• Informative 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new label on the Jar doesn't improve the marmalade. when the recipe hasn't changed . Nev

A new label is better than the alternative marmalade where the recipe is decided by unions, cooked by an ex recipe writer and advertised cheap.

When you pay for it at the register it turns out to be, expensive, a waste of money and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. yuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There's no Aviation minister (1/2 the problem) It's in the "Transport and Infrastructure" portfolio with the Nat's McCormack I believe (unchanged). Nev

The Department has expanded again; it's now Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities

Its responsibilities are: upload_2018-8-29_15-44-20.png.bdbdc48c50bcd05ef2110ffc1edfe4af.png

We're further away from the Minister than ever.

• Agree 1

Strange how we call ourselves a democracy but there are several things I want a vote on and its not going to happen.

1. Number of immigrants

2. Sugar tax

3. Level of military spending

4. cashless welfare ( credit cards ) for welfare dependent people unable to control their drug spending.

5. voluntary euthanasia for suffering people

6. appropriate housing for homeless.

There would be more but that's my start.. I reckon a majority of people would also like a vote on these things.

• Agree 4

Strange how we call ourselves a democracy but there are several things I want a vote on and its not going to happen.1. Number of immigrants

2. Sugar tax

4. cashless welfare ( credit cards ) for welfare dependent people unable to control their drug spending.

There would be more but that's my start.. I reckon a majority of people would also like a vote on these things.

We are a democracy; you voted for someone to represent you in the House of Representatives and for someone to represent your interests in your State in the Senate.

If you want the person you voted for to do something specific you can pick up the phone and speak to him or her (although I'd leave it for a few days just at present), or you can send an email, or you can write., or you can have a meeting. I know you know that but 99% of people don't do it. Members don't have ESP.

There is a second way you can get a message across, which is more powerful; Become a Member of a Party, attend their meetings, particularly State Councils, put up a Resolution and watch it get traction at the Local, State and Federal Conference level.

Your items 1 to 6 are all hot discussions within the Parties rights now, and you might be amazed at the hundreds of support votes you would get.

In the Labor Party, Resolutions carried are binding on the Parliamentary members - they become Labor Policy.

The Liberal Party is slightly more relaxed, Resolutions Carried are recommendations to the Parliamentary Party; ( but they always need to be mindful that there may be a problem next time preselection comes around.

So in our system you not only have the right to vote for a person of your choice to represent you but have a say in the policy as well.

There are MANY occasions where a Resolution put up by a single member of a Party is Mandated into Law - so hop to it!

• Like 1

All good Turbs, but you didn't point out what a tough job it would be;most of those proposals are fiercely opposed by well-funded vested interests.

They hire PR companies who place editorial and ads, and go and talk to their Members. All of Bruce’s issues can be addressed by the government. What I find over and over again is that someone bitterly complains but has never raised the issue. On Some items Bruce may not get support from his fellow Australians. The homeless issue has become a buzz lately; but some of the people sleeping on Melbourne streets who were moved on recently were earning $1,000 per day.

• Haha 1

Strange how we call ourselves a democracy but there are several things I want a vote on and its not going to happen.1. Number of immigrants

2. Sugar tax

When we all voted for ( or not) gay marriage, all those questions and more could have been asked.

As the saying goes, "If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question"

What a waste of millions of dollars for....... one (and some might say "rather useless" in the terms of national importance) question.

• Agree 2

I have emailed my (labor, Nick Champion ) local member twice. The first was to congratulate him on doing some control on where welfare money was spent. They are doing a test in the area about giving only half of the welfare as cash with the rest being earmarked for necessities and he was one of the prime movers of the test. Participation is voluntary.

He has got criticism for " attacking vulnerable peoples' self esteem " . Personally, I thought it was too weak to do much good but it was a start. ( I didn't say this in the email ).