CASA Consultation Paper (760 kg) Published.

walrus

Flightrite, it's called progress. It's inevitable. Aircraft performance increases with time as it should. If anything, RAA/LSA adopts technology  faster than certified aircraft because it doesnt require the same level of certification. We are even occasionally seeing lsa technology get adapted to certified aircraft (Dynon and Rotax)

"Cheap Flying" as a concept is/was never going to remain cheap because as performance improves, so does the operating envelope and rules have to cater for that. Dreaming of older and simpler times is just that - dreaming.

The next generation of LSA are going to match the performance of certified aircraft (in crude terms) and the generation after that will exceed them.

Personally, I am looking forward to the weight increase because my MTOW is constrained to 600 KG by regulation..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, walrus said:

Does the weight increase for 95.55 apply from 2 December 2021?

It certainly seems so - BUT - RAAus has to get their processes and manuals and forms changes all done (and approved by CASA still? - not sure under Part 149 now) before it's usable. Sounds like they are working very hard to get there. And it's not a case of "everybody can now just operate to 760g" no, not by a long shot. It's complex. And as far as they see, the 45 knot stall limit will still apply, so this is quite a catch that will prevent some from accessing 760.

Got me beat WHY this whole plan is drowning in a sea of regulatory references to other pars of rules and previous history.  How hard is it to streamline the whole process and make it easy to interpret and implement?

Its almost like trying to cover a leg amputation with bandaids and MORE bandaids.

Its been going on for years. 

• Agree 1

CASA makes it hard, to justify their existence, emphasise the S in their name and keep all their ever increasing numbers of staff safe in their highly paid roles while telling the politicians what a fantastic job they are doing. Never mind that Australia is way behind the 8 ball and every other enlightened Aviation regulator in the English speaking world.

• Agree 1

It wouldn’t be Australia if such a change didn’t require another layer of paperwork and more complex rules. However, congratulations to RAA for perseverance. The access to controlled airspace would also be very welcome because it then makes touring a lot easier to potentially plan.

My touring plans founder on controlled airspace road blocks at Alice Springs, Tindal, Darwin, Broome, Karratha, Perth and Adelaide.

Well, I TRIED to read the Part 91 Plain English Guide as applicable to RPC/RPL certificates.  I got totally lost…….

I can see me inadvertently breaking rules, unfortunately.

CASA, as any regulator has a duty of care to the people it regulates, to make any rules easy to interpret…….sadly, years of bandaids have created a towering mess in this regard.  I fear RAAus will go the same way, over time.

When I see FAR Part 103 rules in the U.S. being only 3 pages, I wonder WHY we are stuffing up things so badly, here 😞

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

jackc welcome to Australia’s way of doing business especially in aviation where corruption, inefficiency & nepotism jobs for the boys flourish! 
You should see how the system is run at the other end of the scale!

Edited by Flightrite
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, walrus said:

It wouldn’t be Australia if such a change didn’t require another layer of paperwork and more complex rules. However, congratulations to RAA for perseverance. The access to controlled airspace would also be very welcome because it then makes touring a lot easier to potentially plan.

My touring plans founder on controlled airspace road blocks at Alice Springs, Tindal, Darwin, Broome, Karratha, Perth and Adelaide.

Sunny the whole point of flying is you don’t have to follow roads and major cities and the whole point of recreational flying is you stay away.

Well, I went onto CASAs WEB site and have asked for a simplified version of CASR Part 91 Plan English Guide as it applies to RPC/RPL Certificate holders, along with a possibility of transiting controlled airspace by those certificate holders.

You need to fill in the WEB form and they send back a confirmation of receipt.

https://updates.communication.casa.gov.au/what-can-i-do-now-8-november-2021?fbclid=IwAR04fpLpY7z7FnRMguDLMW_Z7zOkn4bG_MMb23nK9wFEP5KL066aPtb5OwM

jackc, if you go to this link it will take you to the Part 91 Plain English Guide. Plain English Guide for new flight operations regulations | Civil Aviation Safety Authority (casa.gov.au)

Also, the VFRG website is available too, but it doesn't look like it's been updated with the new Flight Operation rules information yet. As RAAus said last night, this will be available in December. Civil Aviation Safety Authority | Visual Flight Rules Guide (casa.gov.au)

2 minutes ago, Flying_higher said:

jackc, if you go to this link it will take you to the Part 91 Plain English Guide. Plain English Guide for new flight operations regulations | Civil Aviation Safety Authority (casa.gov.au)

Also, the VFRG website is available too, but it doesn't look like it's been updated with the new Flight Operation rules information yet. As RAAus said last night, this will be available in December. Civil Aviation Safety Authority | Visual Flight Rules Guide (casa.gov.au)

Thanks, that’s the link I downloaded the pdf from.

Too hard for me, I am Aviation illiterate!  I know planes are meant to have wings, and are not meant to fly backwards 🙂 

Anyway I will see what CASA comes back with, they will probably make me stand in the corner of an empty hangar, for a week!

my take was they hope to have 760 signed off by CASA for RAA to administer by mid 2022,  medical relaxation still awaiting submission and then endorsement by casa for ' G' aircraft and still to determine symbols (I recon 22- ABCD would be ok).  Maintenance of owner builders by approved maintainers (clone what SAAA currently do) and other factory built by ??? - they are to ask for L4 (not L2) or LAME.  Or something close to this.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

In what would be a win win for all recreational pilots, PPL or RAAus, CASA is apparently working on a class 5 medical. This sounds similar to what we have in RAAus now. Will this be the requirement for class G aircraft? 

I have been wondering how CASA would justify two different medical standards for PPL or RAAus pilots flying the same Cessna 150,152 going forward. 

The only downside to class G medicals would be that RAAus would get less aircraft transferring out of the VH register.

I am PPL and raa cert pilot.

https://www.australianflying.com.au/the-last-minute-hitch/the-last-minute-hitch-19-november-2021

Yes well when it comes to the way CASA works you may as well throw a crap load of marbles into a hat and start pulling out them only one at a time to see whats written on it then toss it over into the corner and look at it later. Everything seems to be so convoluted...The left doesnt seem to know what the right is doing internally there. One medical for thos another for that..so many finiky rules ...the FAA and the UK body have a much more refined and simpler system CASA just dont seem to want to make life simpler

• Like 1
  • Agree 2