CASA Consultation Paper (760 kg) Published.

walrus

What am I up  to now.. 107 hours ?

What is different now  compared with 50 hours ago , is growing awareness, (grows hour by hour) , of vulnerability, particularly  in-attention to something.  I've got alot more 'worries' 'concerns' ' attention points' going on in my head than I used to have.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RFguy said:

What am I up  to now.. 107 hours ?

What is different now  compared with 50 hours ago , is growing awareness, (grows hour by hour) , of vulnerability, particularly  in-attention to something.  I've got alot more 'worries' 'concerns' ' attention points' going on in my head than I used to have.

That's about the right mindset, awareness, observations checks, confidence, and minimum clutter.

Edited by turboplanner

On 05/08/2021 at 1:40 PM, Bruce Tuncks said:

With car driving, the most dangerous time is about 200 hours, when the overconfidence peaks.

Reportedly, with flying it's 300 TT,  then again at 1000 TT.

Personally I believe 600kg is fine, the whole concept of AUF/RA was for basic cheaper flying. Where do you draw the line? I operate several RA machines and am happy within the limitations due being simple and cheap, if I need more I drag out my VH time machine and play within those rules:-)

• Agree 2

I'd like to see 800 kg

enough so that the plane is not built too light,

and  can accomodate an airframe parachute 

and a small lycoming.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, RFguy said:

I'd like to see 800 kg

enough so that the plane is not built too light,

and  can accomodate an airframe parachute 

and a small lycoming.

You can do that in VH Experimental

Indeed . I may end up building J430.. with beefed up 912ULS. or something. or finding a built one I like.

Love the airframe.

will have my RPL before long.

In fact , most who have achieved  PC+NAV+ few other bits can just get the RPL with a flight test...

I want to push the U.S. FAR Part 103 wheelbarrow, the whole aviation regulatory system in this country sucks.  We have some GA LAMES who think RAA aircraft are toys and hate working on them, but they like getting the money for it, but are not dedicated to take care in working on them.

We should have RAA ONLY LAMES, who don’t have to train to the extent of GA, and RAA can do the training courses.

I got a plane last December, it was signed off and condition report done, all boxes ticked.  Got it home on trailer and it’s a flying death trap…..would not let my worst enemy fly it.  Well, here I am months later working to bring it up to MY stand that I will be happy to fly it.

Last weeks discovery…….it had its 5 year Rotax rubber rubber replacement December 2020, Never been happy with the fuel lines……ripped lot out and discovered hoses with a date stamp June 2013 😞.  Thanks GA LAME for your crap work on the fuel lines, just like most of the other work you did.  It’s a big list, but I am nearing the end.

Just waiting for some snowflake to tell me…….you can’t work on your plane….not qualified……guess wot, pi$$ off and I don’t care what anyone says.

If CASA want to send an engineer here and inspect my aircraft, they are welcome.

Rant over, now back to working on MY plane, MY way 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jackc said:

I want to push the U.S. FAR Part 103 wheelbarrow, the whole aviation regulatory system in this country sucks.  We have some GA LAMES who think RAA aircraft are toys and hate working on them, but they like getting the money for it, but are not dedicated to take care in working on them.

We should have RAA ONLY LAMES, who don’t have to train to the extent of GA, and RAA can do the training courses.

I got a plane last December, it was signed off and condition report done, all boxes ticked.  Got it home on trailer and it’s a flying death trap…..would not let my worst enemy fly it.  Well, here I am months later working to bring it up to MY stand that I will be happy to fly it.

Last weeks discovery…….it had its 5 year Rotax rubber rubber replacement December 2020, Never been happy with the fuel lines……ripped lot out and discovered hoses with a date stamp June 2013 😞.  Thanks GA LAME for your crap work on the fuel lines, just like most of the other work you did.  It’s a big list, but I am nearing the end.

Just waiting for some snowflake to tell me…….you can’t work on your plane….not qualified……guess wot, pi$$ off and I don’t care what anyone says.

If CASA want to send an engineer here and inspect my aircraft, they are welcome.

You do know that a condition report is just that? NOT an airworthy report! Buyer beware as they say. I too bought an RA plane with a condition report & the LAME who issued it mentioned what I wrote above, I found numerous items that needed addressing. I perform my own work on my RA machines and most of the work on my VH machine.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, jackc said:

Jack you can legally work on your own aircraft for private operation under RAAus rules. You just need to get the L1, it is a simple online test. Flying school aircraft need L2.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with a LAME, like most things there are good and not so good ones. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

The worst thing I have seen on an RAAUs plane had been left there by a LAME who didn't know or like FRP stuff. This Jabiru had flown from Sydney to Gawler with the ram-air ducts nearly falling off. It had just been signed out by a LAME.

But the LAME's at Horsham are good guys, so Thruster is quite right. You need to shop around and learn about the paperwork .

For example, who was responsible for checking the AD's? I would have thought the person signing the inspection was at least responsible for noting what work needed doing.

HA  got nothing on mine...the wrecked Savannah I bought to repair was built by 2 LAME and it was disgusting in how it was built and the attention required...not to mention with a all CNC kit if it doesnt fit that means you have done something wrong. I totally pulled the aircraft apart to every single piece and remade all the parts..on my rebuild blog you will see some examples of the "workmanship" they used to build I believe 13 other kits. There are very very few LAME that I would trust to ever touch my aircraft

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Jack you can legally work on your own aircraft for private operation under RAAus rules. You just need to get the L1, it is a simple online test. Flying school aircraft need L2.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with a LAME, like most things there are good and not so good ones. 

I can’t get an L1, because I don’t yet have my RPC……I have done the L1 practical exam and discovered when I went to do the theory exam I need the RPC.

So that’s the end of that, but what I have learnt in the last 9 months from my reference books and do the work on my aircraft according to those books, WHY do I need any damn certificate at all?  I have studied mechanics and worked on equipment all my life, including electronics.   Hell I got hired years ago for a major electronics project and the people thought I was a qualified engineer, they did not ask…..I did not tell 🙂. The client was very happy with my work and I was paid well for it.  From that job I got many others.

My life has simply gotten better for the last 54 years when I was expelled from school 🙂

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Because you don't have a leg to stand on if you hurt someone, and you impact the whole RA sector, Simple as that.

I won’t chuck  anyone under the bus, but a certain person in the regulatory hierarchy told me that crash investigation are not always very complete and when the Coroner sees the words ‘experimental’ or ‘amateur built’ aircraft they make a blame free finding, its then up to any party should they desire……to take civil action.

I will NEVER carry a PAX and only fly off remote airstrips.  The only person that can ever suffer from an aircraft crash is ME, live or die……..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackc said:

I won’t chuck  anyone under the bus, but a certain person in the regulatory hierarchy told me that crash investigation are not always very complete and when the Coroner sees the words ‘experimental’ or ‘amateur built’ aircraft they make a blame free finding, its then up to any party should they desire……to take civil action.

I will NEVER carry a PAX and only fly off remote airstrips.  The only person that can ever suffer from an aircraft crash is ME, live or die……..

The Coroner's fuction is just to find the cause of death, which is why we miss out on a lot of information on RA crashes compared to ATSB which covers the reasons as well. There wouldn't be a lot of point in what the certain person says, because if someone is injured by an out of control aircraft they or their friends will find a way to a public liability lawyer who will run the case.

However, life should be a lot simpler than than, it's just a matter of finishing the RPC, getting the L1, and enjoying flying.

It's a major mistake to think you can operate totally alone, and not make any errors. This is the whole basis behind certification, that someone checks someone elses work, continually. Two heads are always better than one - and three and four and five involved in the checking, is even better.

One of the reasons why large commercial aircraft are so utterly reliable, is that up to five levels of checking are involved in aviation manufacturing to ensure these big aircraft are virtually 100% safe.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

As a young pilot I couldn't afford to hire a Cherokee by myself. I had to find two or three friends to contribute to the cost, so I had to find a reason for the flight. Seeing the floods. Going to the lakes for a picnic. Etcetera. Ultralights, or more generally AUF then RAA planes, made flying affordable. I think FB has tongue in cheek.

• Like 1