A flight you wish you could do

Admin

Thought I would create a thread where you can post what would be the greatest flight you wish you could do...

A flight that I would really like to do is fly the Nile...starting at Burundi, south of the equator, along the whole length of The Nile, through Egypt, stop off and have a cup of tea with @Ahmed Zayed, see the Pyramids, have a drink from The Nile and have dinner with a "Queen of the Nile" and end up finishing at the Mediterranean Sea. What a trip that would be, the history, the vastness etc and I am not even sure if it could be done like is there landing strips along the way, fuel, permits etc but still it would be an incredible flight to do.

Yours?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Admin said:

end up finishing at the Mediterranean Sea

I'm glad you proof-read this post. "in" in place of "at" would be disastrous.

I have simple tastes. I'd love to do a Victor 1, or start with a Victor 1 at Barrenjoey and fly south along the coast to Moruya.

Doing Land's End to John o"Groats would be fun, as would Chicago to the east in Autumn.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Admin said:

A flight that I would really like to do is fly the Nile...starting at Burundi, south of the equator, along the whole length of The Nile, through Egypt, stop off and have a cup of tea with @Ahmed Zayed, see the Pyramids, have a drink from The Nile and have dinner with a "Queen of the Nile" and end up finishing at the Mediterranean Sea.

Waiting you :what the:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hudson River corridor, low and slow up past Manhattan.

Until I retired,  seemed to spend half my life in New York, so have a soft spot for it. And the US seems to value recreational and GA more than we do here.

• Like 3

I'd like to do a low 'n slow over the Serengetti wildlife park in Africa, or fly into Oshkosh or Sun 'n Fun.
OME, Victor 1 isn't as scary as I thought it would be. At 80KIAS it took just 18 minutes from Long Reef to Jibbon Pt.
Don't dream it, do it!

• Like 5

Great topic! I hope one day to tackle the Morning Glory over the Gulf in my Sonex Xenos. The idea of riding those air currents for 100s of kms really inspires me.

Not an unachievable dream by any means, however it is a case of getting all the planets to align. Eg. favourable weather conditions, work & family factors, Covid restrictions, etc.

It would be an epic adventure in the Xenos just making the trip from down south to Burketown - one that would need to be carefully planned for with plenty of allowance for contingencies!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My dreams of flight started with watching magpies at dusk after the day’s work was done. They’d skim down our gently sloping paddock for a hundred meters or more, then pull up into a dramatic stall and touch down. Then they’d strut around enjoying the glow before flying back up the hill to do it all again.

I always wanted to do that as well. Landing my plane on that paddock would be a tick off the bucket list, but, alas, the soil there is an unusual type, with enough hummocks to put off any aircraft without tundra tyres.

What really stirred me into action was watching the DC-6 flyover where I played tennis at Warners Bay, en route to PNG from Sydney. One of the most fascinating experiences was flying through a snowstorm with landing lights on over Kinglake West, for Tulla at night after leaving the heat of Darwin at 1330.. Coming into Sydney (at night) from the north along the beaches and the Harbour, isn't bad either. (as the song goes). Nev

• Like 1

My missed opportunity is flying the Amazon - planned for early 1990's starting in Florida and back to the US - got the vaccinations, A/C organised, planning done but my US based flying mate had a business problem so we postponed and never got back to it - career pressure from my end.

Had already done UK to Australia (yes, Nev flew through snow in France) in 1990, the inaugural around New Zealand Air Race (I think the only one) 1991 both in a C170 and no GPS but with inaccurate maps and compass - parts of the US west coast (Stearman) etc

Started AUF flying in Thrusters (my membership number is early 500's) and still enjoy it.

• Like 3

Borrow a Mk9 Spitfire (after appropriate training, of course!) and depart from Duxford at Cambridge.

Track down the M11 to London, buzz Westminster and Buckingham Palace, fly under the Tower Bridge, then head east down the Thames to Margate.  Turn south, do a pass of the white cliffs of Dover, then east again over the channel to Dunkirk.  A pass over the long beach there, then down to Calais-Dunkerque airport.

That'd do me...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 28/09/2020 at 9:26 PM, Marty_d said:

Borrow a Mk9 Spitfire (after appropriate training, of course!) and depart from Duxford at Cambridge.

Track down the M11 to London, buzz Westminster and Buckingham Palace, fly under the Tower Bridge, then head east down the Thames to Margate.  Turn south, do a pass of the white cliffs of Dover, then east again over the channel to Dunkirk.  A pass over the long beach there, then down to Calais-Dunkerque airport.

That'd do me...

Marty you’d then have a few years to enjoy the memory: behind bars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeez right now my dream flight would be to just depart Caboolture for the training area for some general flying followed by a few circuits in the Foxbat, my advice is never take the ability to go flying for granted, wishing all of you in that big brown land fair winds & smooth landings.

Edited by Bennyboy320
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

What's wrong with a Hobart to Strachan around the S W coast on a good day? Think I'd prefer a twin but the effect would be more real in a Drifter. Pick a WARM calm day. Nev

The south west????

The most tigerish of tiger country.  If I ever even dream of flying to the south west, just lock me up.

Another one for me would be to fly completely around Australia hugging the coast all the way. Would have to do it on my own and anti-clockwise as no good for a pax just looking out to the ocean all the way

• Like 2