Ultralight down in Darwin

1 minute ago, NT5224 said:

EmKayTee airfield MKT

G'day NT5224, I don't mean to be unnecessarily pedantic and I am not obtuse either. We have had a discussion over the past regarding abbreviation of geography. Not everyone who reads our posts has a categorical memory for 4 letter codes nor are they interestedf. For pure clarity and also as a display of good faith, could you please use layman's language. Thanking you for taking this point, Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Crash occurred Sunday arvo close to Humpty Doo some distance from the circuit.  Police and emergency services reached crash site.

Not sure of outcome, but stuff is being reported in news. Hope all ended well...

Alan

• Like 1

It might be a case of someone seeing a "crash" that never actually happened. The NT News has the following headline (I can't get the full article, it's behind a paywall) ....

"MYSTERY STILL SURROUNDS ULTRALIGHT AIRCRAFT ‘CRASH’ IN TOP END RURAL AREA

Police have eliminated two paragliders — seen flying by witnesses — from their inquiries with mystery still surrounding an ultralight aircraft 'crash' in the Top End’s rural area on Sunday afternoon."

The NT Police have not issued any news/media articles about this "reported crash". So perhaps there was no crash, just someones imagination running wild.

Onetrack in this case we were contacted by a friend (emergency services worker) who was on the ground at the crash site. They have been calling around aircraft owners to try and account for people and find out if anybody's missing. We were called yesterday, even though we live far away.

They were trying to identify the aircraft. Dunno what that means- is it badly damaged? No idea...

Just keepings fingers crossed for a good outcome. Best outcome would be if the whole thing is a false alarm..

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Informative 1

Ahhh - so a crashed ultralight has actually been discovered, and there's no-one there at the crash site, is that correct?

It sounds like it's possible the pilot either just walked away relatively unscathed, to organise wreckage collection - or if he was injured, he was taken to a doctor or hospital privately. Some people enjoy keeping a very low profile.

Onetrack.

Sorry I have no details. We were called yesterday to account for us and our aircraft ( which would be immediately recognisable if abandoned!) I also heard flying club aircraft were out searching for a lost aircraft Sunday arvo. I heard that a crash site has been found and emergency services attended. 

If the registration is legible  on an abandoned aircraft, wouldn't that give away the owners identity? Let's wait  for further information and hope for the best....

Alan 🤞

Edited by NT5224
  • Informative 1

Well, it appears the Police have no major concern for anyone involved in this crash, so I guess the pilot escaped with little or minimal injury. The NT Police Farcebook page gives the following info ....

"CALL FOR INFORMATION - DARWIN RURAL AREA

UPDATE @ 10:14 PM  (06/06/2021)
Police thank members of the public who have identified the two paragliders/paramotors, one with a red wing, flying in the rural area this afternoon. Police have spoken to these two people and eliminated them from our enquiries. Police do not hold active concerns for welfare of any persons as a result of this report.

Northern Territory Police would like to speak to anyone who was operating or has knowledge of operations of ultralight and paramotor aircraft in the Humpty Doo area, including Herbert, Lloyd Creek and Noonamah between the hours of 4:30 PM and 6:30 PM this evening. (06/06/2021)
The specific area of interest is bounded by Girraween Road, Costa Road, Townend Road and the Stuart Highway.
Please call 131 444 and quote reference 9704772."

1 hour ago, planedriver said:

In some outback places, the normal rules that apply for all, are not always adhered to.

Who know's, but dosen't want to say?

Maybe time will reveal, maybe not!

Truer word never spake.

But I'd hardly call Humpty Doo 'the outback'. Still no details on what happened.

Curiouser and curiouser

Edited by NT5224

Sounds like an unknown person flying an unknown & probably unregistered aircraft was seen to have crashed and the unknown person has left the scene to avoid identification.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, onetrack said:

Police thank members of the public who have identified the two paragliders/paramotors

This is not an Ultralight with a frame , probably a canopy stuck up a tree !

• Haha 1

This just in (source: Beetoota Advocate)

"Reports to hand confirm the fact that no more facts can be confirmed at this time.

However, at a date soon to be announced, more unconfirmed reports will be denied.

This should put an end to all the rumours circulating at the moment."

• Agree 2
  • Haha 4

Many moons ago there was a young fellah who'd supposedly been flying his grandfathers Tiger Moth around the property for years with no licence.

As the story goes, someone told him he'd have to get a license, or end up in the poo.

Apparently he used to fly the Tiger Moth solo to an airfield not too far away to undertake proper lessons where he eventually got his licence.

I suppose this could have an element of truth to it if you lived out in the sticks, but I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

It is something I was told a long time ago at a fly-in, where as many would know, that the truth is always spoken in the clubhouse???:scratching head::yikes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Could easily be true. There was a time when the Tigers weren't worth much."Spare" ones were stacked on their noses at District park Newcastle to use less room. DCA declared they couldn't be used for basic training in the 60's. Weirdo's like me kept flying them for endorsements spin training and basic aeros. Eventually quite a few got well restored and there's over 100 flying last I checked. They don't have a great range with the standard tank. Just under 3 hours to empty I think. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

37 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Could easily be true. There was a time when the Tigers weren't worth much."Spare" ones were stacked on their noses at District park Newcastle to use less room. DCA declared they couldn't be used for basic training in the 60's. Weirdo's like me kept flying them for endorsements spin training and basic aeros. Eventually quite a few got well restored and there's over 100 flying last I checked. They don't have a great range with the standard tank. Just under 3 hours to empty I think. Nev

Yep. 

86L in the tank and I was told to plan on 29L/hr so 3 hours till glider seems about right. 😀

• Agree 1

I met a young fella on a station property, that fly,s the station plane.

Looked a couple of years too young to got a licence, even at 14 years to get your first exam.

spacesailor

Im quite sure some people fly unlicensed over their own properties.

How many people drive unlicensed on the road? And the chances of getting pulled up are higher.

I recently learned a friend's son was driving on the road before he got his ticket at 17 and was surprised,  but she seemed to think it was OK. He has his license now.

If I or my wife chose to fly unlicensed over our place nobody would ever know...

But neither of us would.

Edited by NT5224

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

I met a young fella on a station property, that fly,s the station plane...

One member of my extended family grew up on a large NT property and told of many adventures with the station aircraft, including using a berm to “bump” it off the ground. 

On 07/06/2021 at 3:18 PM, planedriver said:

In some outback places, the normal rules that apply for all, are not always adhered to.

Who know's, but dosen't want to say?

Maybe time will reveal, maybe not!

" Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men" 

Douglas Bader.