Covid 19

7 hours ago, kgwilson said:

I watched the 2 part doco "Fox & the big Lie" & while some will say it is Leftie propaganda it was obvious from the interviews that there are still masses of people in the US who have that indoctrinated and intrenched view & nothing will change their minds. They continue to say the evidence is about to be released, 10 months after they lost all the court cases because they could not produce a shred of evidence. This is the same sort of dogmatic viewpoint of those in the video "Dying in the name of Vaccine freedom" yet this viewpoint is still promoted by senior Republican politicians in the US.

There are plenty of supporters of this "idealogical freedom" idea everywhere & it baffles me how they are able to ignore all evidence that is produced and cherry pick tiny pieces of information by someone or some organisation to bolster their view even after that has been debunked. The only thing that I can agree with them on is the often confusing and contradictory information coming from our politicians who twist health advice to suit their own political agendas.

A LOT of this "My Freedom" BS is coming straight out of the Murdoch media. The Republicans and the Right wing echo chamber have created a self-reinforcing feedback loop of self-destructive behavior and rhetoric.

It is no more clear than the linkage between numerous Fox opinion pieces touting snake oil "remedies" for COVID like Ivermectin, which has caused a rush to the feed stores by the Trump/Fox cult. That has sparked a rash of hospitalizations from poisoning. Ivermectin is a neurotoxin designed for worming horses. The difference in dosage for worming horses and for human use is substantial, but the difference in dosage between safe for human use and potentially fatal poisoning is miniscule.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 2

Not a good day in Victoria today with 120 new cases today and the first two deaths, women in their 40s and 60s at home.

The woman in her sixties died just two weeks after being infected.

Of today's 120 cases only 20 were isolating after they felt sick.

All of the outbreaks which occurred two or three weeks ago have been managed, and testing has been running at the rate of 50,000 plus per day, so very good intel.

However, there are deep clusters of community transmission - people moving around their turf infecting other people, usually family or friends.

The Burnet Institute modelling says that the current lockdown has saved about 6000 cases to date.

However, based on the last two days the numbers will go up, not down.

So the Melbourne lockdown, with some minor changes will continue until September 23.

•        Public playgrounds will reopen with conditions
  •        There is a relaxation for in home childcare where one parent works

Schools will not reopen in Term 3

•  Year 12s will all be vaccinated for the GAT by October 5

Other Outdoor Recreational Acitvities, which I would assume includes flying  are expected to resume around September 23, depending on the number of people vaccinated.

These are my notes from the State Conference this morning; the DHHS site should have the details.

Regional Victoria except Shepparton will end lockdown next week, because the Covid patterns there are different.

They used to use all sorts of "stuff" to control parasites in animals. For the antivaxxers consideration, may I suggest;

Copper Sulphate

Flowers of Sulpha

Strychnine

Arsenic

Many others just as nasty

Applications both rectal & oral might be attempted

• Haha 5
  • Caution 1

This is the level of draconian stupidity the criminals in charge has layed upon us..... one parent/guardian can mind a child under 12 at a playground providing that person does not eat or drink whilst doing so meaning wear a bloody mask the whole time! Utter lunatics couldn't dream this shit up if they tried! I hope all the Dan lovers are feeling real proud of themselves now!

Edited by Flightrite
  • Caution 2

24 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

This is the level of draconian stupidity the criminals in charge has layed upon us

What would you do? Say F U to all the health care workers, who are already overstretched?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Caution 1

40 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

This is the level of draconian stupidity the criminals in charge has layed upon us..... one parent/guardian can mind a child under 12 at a playground providing that person does not eat or drink whilst doing so meaning wear a bloody mask the whole time! Utter lunatics couldn't dream this shit up if they tried! I hope all the Dan lovers are feeling real proud of themselves now!

That's not criminally stupid. 

This is criminally stupid:

Australians Are Importing 10x More Ivermectin Than Usual Despite Its Lack Of COVID Benefits 

According to the TGA, Ivermectin is “a prescription medicine that is not approved in Australia (or in other OECD countries) to prevent or treat COVID-19 disease, and should not be imported for this indication”. But the lack of TGA approval hasn’t stopped people like Craig Kelly from promoting its alleged COVID-19 benefits.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/08/ivermectin-imports-australia/

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Caution 1

Dan is playing a double game...... Opening at 70 -80% will still produce deaths from an epidemic among the unvaccinated and collapse the health system. That is the problem - the "80% freedom!" idea doesn't work for any state, especially not WA, SA and TAS who have no cases.

...So Dan figures if he makes thing miserable enough then there will be widespread civil disobedience.  That destroys the plan. What happens next, which is predictable, is then not Dans problem....

That is why Dan is doing what he does.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, walrus said:

Dan is playing a double game...... Opening at 70 -80% will still produce deaths from an epidemic among the unvaccinated and collapse the health system. That is the problem - the "80% freedom!" idea doesn't work for any state, especially not WA, SA and TAS who have no cases.

...So Dan figures if he makes thing miserable enough then there will be widespread civil disobedience.  That destroys the plan. What happens next, which is predictable, is then not Dans problem....

That is why Dan is doing what he does.

Under the State of Emergency Dan doesn't have the power to play a double game, but you are right about "opening up" - it's based on a flow of deaths, and it wouldn't surprise me to see that idea changed in coming months.

Think about the political future of anyone who adopted a policy that resulted in 50,000 deaths between now and the next election if you want to be cynical.

The best way to answer your thoughts is just to look at yesterday's live Press Conference.

The Premier fronts every day of every month along with the Chief Health Officer to inform the press and anyone who wants to watch -live (and anyone who's done public speaking knows just how hard it is to present live without having mind blanks or making mistakes). At the end of the presentations the press are able to ask questions for as long as they like.

For those who want to get a close up of how decisions are made, the precision of the information flow and actually see the stress on the faces of the decision makers I would recommend you watch this link to yesterday's live press conference where the new blow out in Victoria's figures was discussed and explained, and the current game plan was explained both locking down of the infected areas and freeing up of areas with a different pattern of outbreaks.

The conference went for 1 hour 54 minutes and I would recommend you watch to the end and see the degree of cross-questioning done by the press, and the answers given by the key people fighting the battle - it puts a human face on what is happening and why.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 3
  • Winner 2

Excellent advice! I watched some of it live yesterday.

‘The ABC has belled the cat this morning: breakdown of the health system. This is the issue I was advised about on day one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-02/victoria-hospital-covid-case-capacity-icu-beds/100420728

Edited by walrus

An average of over 400 people die everyday in Australia for one reason or another. NO human being likes to see any deaths, but it’s what happens in this World.

The Govts are lost, they don’t know what the long term solution is…….will total vaccination fix it?  they don’t know, will a new vicious strain come along maybe, but how severe could it be.

All I know,  is the severe collateral damage that is occurring to the finances of small businesses, individuals across a wide spectrum.   Homelessness will be a word you will see more often as time goes on. Bankruptcy figures will go sky high.

And this Pandemic does not care…….

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, walrus said:

Excellent advice! I watched some of it live yesterday.

‘The ABC has belled the cat this morning: breakdown of the health system. This is the issue I was advised about on day one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-02/victoria-hospital-covid-case-capacity-icu-beds/100420728

It's always been the Critical Point. Victoria's lockdown trigger occurs when the predicted figures reach ICI capacity - that's when they lock down and start isolating the public.  I would hate to be living in Country Australia right now because that threshold in most cases is 1 or 2, then RFDS has to transport patients to the cities. Easy to see an Italy occurring in a town.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jackc said:

An average of over 400 people die everyday in Australia for one reason or another. NO human being likes to see any deaths, but it’s what happens in this World.

The Govts are lost, they don’t know what the long term solution is…….will total vaccination fix it?  they don’t know, will a new vicious strain come along maybe, but how severe could it be.

All I know,  is the severe collateral damage that is occurring to the finances of small businesses, individuals across a wide spectrum.   Homelessness will be a word you will see more often as time goes on. Bankruptcy figures will go sky high.

And this Pandemic does not care…….

Everyone knows that this is not going away.

No, total vaccination will not fix it, but unless we get the vaccination number up to a very high percentage then we can't open up.

Yes, there will be variations just like there's variations to influenza every year, and every year the vaccine is modified to try to stop the most recent Northern Hemisphere strain.  I would anticipate that the Covid vaccines will be the same.  You get one every year that will give you a better chance of surviving the most recent or most dangerous variant.

So there's 3 things causing this severe collateral damage to business and individuals that you talk of.

The first 2 are the fault of the government - their handling of the vaccination rollout including not initially ordering Pfizer, the mixed messaging around AZ, and the rollout in general being poorly planned and executed;  Then the reliance on hotel quarantine when Blind Freddy could see it was actually causing cases and they needed open-air purpose built quarantine centres.

The third thing that will cause this damage is people who won't get vaccinated, either because they're down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theory or they're just "my freedom over all" individualists who don't see protecting others from the virus as their responsibility.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

17 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

It's always been the Critical Point. Victoria's lockdown trigger occurs when the predicted figures reach ICI capacity - that's when they lock down and start isolating the public.  I would hate to be living in Country Australia right now because that threshold in most cases is 1 or 2, then RFDS has to transport patients to the cities. Easy to see an Italy occurring in a town.

Well, I have to ask WHY I am being hammered to sell my 28 acre rural block with off grid liveable shed by real estate agents with buyers from Victoria.

I will probably build a Tiny House for hermits on it and get a nice fat return from that capital investment.

Intelligent Victorians know what they want 🙂 

• Agree 1
  • More 1

5 minutes ago, jackc said:

Well, I have to ask WHY I am being hammered to sell my 28 acre rural block with off grid liveable shed by real estate agents with buyers from Victoria.

I will probably build a Tiny House for hermits on it and get a nice fat return from that capital investment.

Intelligent Victorians know what they want 🙂 

Most people would understand what Real Estate patter means; much the same as the transparent "We've only got one left"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

The first 2 are the fault of the government - their handling of the vaccination rollout including not initially ordering Pfizer, the mixed messaging around AZ, and the rollout in general being poorly planned and executed;  Then the reliance on hotel quarantine when Blind Freddy could see it was actually causing cases and they needed open-air purpose built quarantine centres.

The third thing that will cause this damage is people who won't get vaccinated, either because they're down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theory or they're just "my freedom over all" individualists who don't see protecting others from the virus as their responsibility.

Yes, maybe we can blame the Govt, political FUBAR  have been part of it, and solutions evade them because of money, cost to implement stand alone quarantine facilities,  seperate hospital facilities……this is all big  bucks stuff.

Vaccination percentages have not caused business failures, lockdowns that  have moving goal posts have done that.

Business only see their viability going down the drain, not a case of IF…..it’s a case of WHEN.  Many see no future, so they have closed up shop and will reap the consequences of that decision.  On the opposite site, there are businesses who have surged ahead in business profitability.

The big end of town got lots of financial benefit from the Govt, the little guy who has a business, a family their kids at school, got bugger all.

Jobs gone, families under mortgage stress with accompanying mental problems.

I would hate to be a small business asking their bank for loan,  I have a personal friend in business for 40 years……his bank manager dropped his request like hot scone.  He could sell his building and close up shop pay all debts and walk away, THEN what does he do for a job, who wants to hire a 60 year old Dinosaur?

How does he feel……he wasted 40 years of his life, a mentally debilitating situation.

This situation is very common right now……

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Most people would understand what Real Estate patter means; much the same as the transparent "We've only got one left"

Try reading real estate adverts, THEN see the sold statistics.  

People peruse those adverts and are buying in Qld with property sight unseen.

This IS a real world, whatever peoples jaded view is…….

Maybe I  need offer hangaridge on my block next door and use of airstrip 🙂 

There's a new strain (of course there is!) called Mu so will be interesting to see what the lunatics in charge come up for with this one & use it to their advantage!

If you think getting vaxed is the answer then welcome to fairyland! Dan & his his fellow cohorts are making it up as they go resulting in the clusterf*cks he's had already!

16 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

There's a new strain (of course there is!) called Mu so will be interesting to see what the lunatics in charge come up for with this one & use it to their advantage!

If you think getting vaxed is the answer then welcome to fairyland! Dan & his his fellow cohorts are making it up as they go resulting in the clusterf*cks he's had already!

If you want Dan to stop locking you down then go get vaccinated.  Simple as that.

If you believe that refusing to be vaccinated is going to open up your state, then you're the one in fairyland.  

Go ahead, give me a "caution".  (Not sure what you think that achieves.)

• Agree 3
  • Caution 1

About buying Qld real estate sight unseen... there was a guy who WENT there to buy a block to retire on. Years later, he took his wife to see it and somebody else was building.  

It turned out that the block he thought he was buying was different from the one he actually bought. Nobody had sympathy for him..." you bought land in Qld without your own lawyer and surveyor? " was the incredulous chorus.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

Flighty we are sitting on the edge of our seats, waiting to read what you think they should be doing...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

Oh, yeah ... 'lunatics' cynically taking advantage, huh?  I share your disgust.

"Right-leaning politicians in New South Wales and Queensland are tapping into the frustration and economic pain of the Covid lockdowns to promote the prospect of a fresh challenge to the Liberal party at the next election.

John Ruddick, a former prominent member of the Liberal party in NSW, who was close to Tony Abbott, attended the weekend anti-lockdown rally in Sydney and tweeted that he was fined $1,000 as a result.  //

Asked whether he was concerned about aligning himself with anti-vaccination campaigners, Ruddick said the Liberal Democrats were “neutral” on vaccination.      //

I believe 30% of voters are very unhappy with the restrictions,” he said. “If we can get 10%-15% of the vote we can win Senate seats and have an influence on policy.”

The former Liberal Craig Kelly has also jumped on the anti-lockdown push. Having been banned permanently from Facebook for repeatedly breaching the social media company’s misinformation policy, the independent MP for Hughes used Telegram to call for the removal of NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian.

“Gladys, Chant and Health Hazzard – the people are coming for you,” Kelly wrote.

“Liberal Party – WAKE UP and remove these incompetent fools that are ignoring the science and the evidence before they destroy the Liberal party and NSW.” "

Source: The Guardian.  July 27 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jul/27/rightwing-australian-politicians-use-covid-lockdowns-to-promote-challenge-to-liberal-party

51 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

If you think getting vaxed is the answer then welcome to fairyland! 

Exercised by "fairyland" level misinformers, huh?  Me too!

We all have a responsibility to believe responsibly.

Or at the very least, pronounce responsibly:

"Oklahoma doctor Matthew Payne regularly encounters covid-19 patients in his hospital who say they had feared coronavirus vaccines and thought they had found a safer approach — taking ivermectin, a medicine long used to kill parasites in animals and humans.  //

Doctors and public health officials say they have spent the pandemic fighting rampant misinformation on top of a deadly virus, but the ivermectin craze is one of their strangest battles yet. Promoted by conservative talk show hosts, politicians and even some physicians as an effective treatment for covid-19, the medication has soared in popularity this year despite having no proven anti-viral benefits — and also some clear harms when abused."

Washington Post Sep 1 2021

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/01/ivermectin-covid-treatment/

Sure, Craig Kelly, we wouldn't want to ignore the science.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 3
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1