Covid 19

5.24 Billion vaccine doses administered deaths 14392.

Total confirmed covid cases 214.6 Million Covid deaths 4.4 Million 

Edited by octave
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, planesmaker said:

34948CAE-C2FD-4E3A-BABA-F76AA0CC0493.jpeg

If people dont want to wear a seat belt that is ok by me. Yes in a very very very small number of accidents seatbelts are detrimental.  

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, jackc said:

Not bad out of 7000 million global population……

5.24 Billion doses, 2.1Billion people fully vaccinated.  26.9% of the worlds population fully vaccinated

Snopes.com

No, There Weren’t More COVID-19 Vaccine Deaths Than COVID-19 Deaths

A vaccine adverse reaction tracking tool was misleadingly interpreted by junk news sites.

• Published 22 July 2021

Full Article: 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-vax-deaths-vs-covid-deaths/

Sorry to report, Monsieur Voltaire, we've not improved much  in recent centuries .

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

There is a trait in a small percentage of humans which blocks their logic in an emergency. In out bushfires of recent years there were fatalities in towns where these people stayed behind when all the others in the town were safely evacuated, in one case where the local police officer got them all to drive nose to tail and he got them through thick smoke and burning trees on the road.

That's where in Australia our States of Emergency trigger the appointment of a Commander to take the wavering politics out of the equation, but we still have that rump which wants to walk off the cliff, albeit much smaller numbers, and that's saved many families from losing members in this pandemic.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I give you an instance, 9 years ago we had a major bushfire, I had dozed all my property firebreaks.  We had a fire start 12 kilometres away.  I suggested the Rural Fire Brigade here, do a back burn from my breaks as my 160 acre property backs onto a rural housing estate. The Regional Rural Fires Director refused and the fire swept through and  threatened the housing estate. THEN while I was dealing with the fire on my OWN property, with my OWN vehicle and fire fighting vehicle.

The Director told me I could not do that……I told him to f….. off. He threatened to have me arrested, I said do it…….guess what, that never happened 🙂 

Fortunately, no houses were lost thanks to helicopter water bombing.

6 months later an investigation was done and the Regional Rural Fires Director was fired.  Turbs, you must be a sad person, you run your life and I will run mine and take FULL responsibility AND be happy 🙂   

F6E39926-D182-429C-8CC0-6FFA95F22BFB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, jackc said:

I give you an instance, 9 years ago we had a major bushfire, I had dozed all my property firebreaks.  We had a fire start 12 kilometres away.  I suggested the Rural Fire Brigade here, do a back burn from my breaks as my 160 acre property backs onto a rural housing estate. The Regional Rural Fires Director refused and the fire swept through and  threatened the housing estate. THEN while I was dealing with the fire on my OWN property, with my OWN vehicle and fire fighting vehicle.

The Director told me I could not do that……I told him to f….. off. He threatened to have me arrested, I said do it…….guess what, that never happened 🙂 

6 months later an investigation was done and the Regional Rural Fires Director was fired.  Turbs, you must be a sad person, you run your life and I will run mine and take FULL responsibility AND be happy 🙂   

26 minutes ago, jackc said:

Jackc you wont convince some in here, they are too far gone but it does make for amusing reading observing all the fear:-)

Edited by Flightrite
  • Agree 1

I am not out to convince anyone.   Not all people are sheep, they can make their own minds up.  Anything I write is only my opinion, I am not trying to solicit support.   I make MY choices, just like we all do.

Edited by jackc
poor choice of words
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Flighty, you seem to be the only one repeatedly referring to fear. I don't base my decisions on fear, nor do I see signs of fear from many other forumites. I look at the available data, and make my choices. As far as covid goes, I choose to filter the sometimes contradictory information that comes from many sources, and find a pathway that I am confident will minimise my risk. I do the same process for all my decisions. It works for me, and as a result I don't live in fear. I'm simply managing the risk.

Edited by nomadpete
manually spellchecked
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Some good news this morning. Today's forecast for NSW Hospitals is that although they are close to the upper limit the numbers indicate the situation is improving rather than getting worse.

Same for Vic where the new cases are shrinking.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Today's forecast for NSW Hospitals is that although they are close to the upper limit the numbers indicate the situation is improving rather than getting worse.

No idea where you saw that, but based on the raw numbers the situation can only get worse.

Hospitalizations lag by a week at least, so the hospitalization numbers reflect the situation when daily numbers were no more than 6-800. Now they are predicting that NSW will keep getting worse until October, which means another 3 doublings at least, to about 10,000 per day. If they are very efficient at getting vaccines out MAYBE they can hold that to 5000/day but I don't see it happening. So they are likely to see the hospital load grow several times over.

Nick Coatsworth is happily pointing to a stockpile of 2,000 ventilators, while everyone else is pointing out that there are only enough trained staff to run about 1/3 of them.

Someone else was suggesting enlisting vets, because they are experienced at adapting to managing many different types of animals, and should have no additional difficulty with humans. Not sure whether they were serious... I think in other countries they did enlist vets to help administer vaccines.

5 minutes ago, aro said:

No idea where you saw that, but based on the raw numbers the situation can only get worse.

Hospitalizations lag by a week at least, so the hospitalization numbers reflect the situation when daily numbers were no more than 6-800. Now they are predicting that NSW will keep getting worse until October, which means another 3 doublings at least, to about 10,000 per day. If they are very efficient at getting vaccines out MAYBE they can hold that to 5000/day but I don't see it happening. So they are likely to see the hospital load grow several times over.

Nick Coatsworth is happily pointing to a stockpile of 2,000 ventilators, while everyone else is pointing out that there are only enough trained staff to run about 1/3 of them.

Someone else was suggesting enlisting vets, because they are experienced at adapting to managing many different types of animals, and should have no additional difficulty with humans. Not sure whether they were serious... I think in other countries they did enlist vets to help administer vaccines.

Sorry, I condensed it down too much. The gist of it was the medical staff were coping with the current situation (that takes care of the lag) and it's looking like it will stay within manageable limits and then fall.

15 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

The gist of it was the medical staff were coping with the current situation (that takes care of the lag) and it's looking like it will stay within manageable limits and then fall.

I'm still interested to see who is saying that, because it doesn't seem to correspond with reality.

It seems most likely to come from the NSW or federal government, who are frantically spinning trying to convince people that this is all OK - but that's not what the experts are saying, or what you can figure out for yourself if you compare the situation here to overseas.

Gladys said a week or 2 back "We thought Australia was different." Not if you had any sense. We are not different, but Libs in NSW still seem to be operating on the assumption that we are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I watched the 2 part doco "Fox & the big Lie" & while some will say it is Leftie propaganda it was obvious from the interviews that there are still masses of people in the US who have that indoctrinated and intrenched view & nothing will change their minds. They continue to say the evidence is about to be released, 10 months after they lost all the court cases because they could not produce a shred of evidence. This is the same sort of dogmatic viewpoint of those in the video "Dying in the name of Vaccine freedom" yet this viewpoint is still promoted by senior Republican politicians in the US.

There are plenty of supporters of this "idealogical freedom" idea everywhere & it baffles me how they are able to ignore all evidence that is produced and cherry pick tiny pieces of information by someone or some organisation to bolster their view even after that has been debunked. The only thing that I can agree with them on is the often confusing and contradictory information coming from our politicians who twist health advice to suit their own political agendas.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, aro said:

I'm still interested to see who is saying that, because it doesn't seem to correspond with reality.

It seems most likely to come from the NSW or federal government, who are frantically spinning trying to convince people that this is all OK - but that's not what the experts are saying, or what you can figure out for yourself if you compare the situation here to overseas.

Gladys said a week or 2 back "We thought Australia was different." Not if you had any sense. We are not different, but Libs in NSW still seem to be operating on the assumption that we are.

It was someone reporting on NSW on Channel 9 news so you might have a point.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

I watched the 2 part doco "Fox & the big Lie" & while some will say it is Leftie propaganda ...

Right, many are saying that - especially in the Murdoch press - yet most of the most damning testimony throughout, was offered by ex-Fox News producers, anchors and commentators (none of them leftist, by any stretch).  Lt. Col Peters who was a Fox military affairs commentator for years was super-bitter, saying that the US had given so much to Murdoch over the years and in return, he'd done it so much damage.

But the overall message (from the left, if you like) was that the ideological frenzy that was Trumpism was carefully fabricated within the Murdoch empire - for anything but ideological reasons. 

Rupert, needless to say, was one of the first humans on earth vaccinated.

If it's any comfort, though, he broke America with Trump but then Trump ended up breaking his family.  Very Shakespearean.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1