Covid 19

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Google and Facebook track us more often than the COVID-19 tracing does

Heard a good one the other day:

I told my wife a joke and she laughed out loud.  I laughed out loud. Siri laughed out loud. Alexa laughed out loud.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, red750 said:

I'm no supporter of Dan and think he should get the boot over the quarantine hotel stuff-ups last year - "I don't know, I can't remember."

BUT

The current situation can't be blamed on him. It's the selfish "You're not going to tell me what to do" lot who wander around without masks, having at-risk house parties, believing that Allah or whoever will protect them. That includes the footballers, and I hear today, jockeys who held an AirBnB house party. Most of the numbers coming up daily can be directly traced back to them. If directions had been followed, we would probably have been out of lockdown by now. Of course, hapless Gladys, weak as a wet lettuce leaf.

The Jockeys breached the health directive, and were fined.  Additionally the were suspended for 3 months each?  I feel that the suspension is weak as pi$$, take away their ability to earn money:-(

A truck driver gets done, they don’t suspend his licence? Many other instances.

The whole scheme is discriminatory and unfair….

56 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Google & other Apps can be switched off, l never let them have my were abouts.

Really?!? They may turn off being responsive to you, but those phones and devices track your every move.. and I would not put it past them if they still listen to you. Remember, Google's chrome would clandestinely film you when you were surfing the web (if your laptop/desktop had a web cam).

These tech giants amass petabytes of data every day, apply algorithms and either directly sell it or sell their advertising platform to make squillions. They are not going to stop recording what you do because you "turn off" their features.

16 minutes ago, jackc said:

Yep.. People in the [positive] limelight always seem to get away with a lot more.

This is [at least] the second time David Beckham managed to avoid speeding - this time only by almost 20mph above a 40mph speed limit - almost 50% faster... https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/david-beckham-dodges-speeding-charge-after-letter-gets-lost-in-post-a3947731.html

The first time, it was well over 100mph in a 70mph limit- his defence - he thought the police were chasing him.

If you or I used either of the defences he put forward, I wonder where we would be.

Both Google and Apple offered up their tracing apps to the government here, and both were rejected. The contact tracing here was billed by BoJo as going ot be best in the world and it ended up a crappy phone app, and a broken spreadsheet operated by PA Consulting and some consultants being paid £7K/day - that is right - £7K (almost $14k).

Aussie's track and trace system was being hailed by the press as the one we should have gone for... so if you think Australia's is bad... come here..

But then, we are getting 30-odd thousand new cases a day and over 100 deaths.. It is the new normal here.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

33 minutes ago, jackc said:

The Jockeys breached the health directive, and were fined.  Additionally the were suspended for 3 months each?  I feel that the suspension is weak as pi$$, take away their ability to earn money:-(

A truck driver gets done, they don’t suspend his licence? Many other instances.

There's no scheme in Victoria:

Police will apply an on the spot fine for breaking the law as is their power. The fine for breaching a Covid restriction is a little over $5,000.00.

In the case of the jockeys, the VRC suspended at least one for three months for a VRC offence.

Her cost of not being able to take part in the Spring Racing Carnival is several hundred thousand dollars.

That's the VRC's action and message.

The AFL have been doing the same.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

Well, it IS a scheme against people AFTER they have been fined, they have paid  the penalty for breaking a health directive.  What right has the VRC to apply further penalty that has not involved any breach of rules in horse racing?

How would you feel if your PPL/CPL was suspended by CASA, because you got busted for going to an illegal fly in, in the bush and someone dobbed in all the attendees?

At the case numbers in NSW, a Sydney nurse commented that every day now was like New Year's Eve. The hospitals are close to capacity.

1 minute ago, jackc said:

Well, it IS a scheme against people AFTER they have been fined, they have paid  the penalty for breaking a health directive.  What right has the VRC to apply further penalty that has not involved any breach of rules in horse racing?

How would you feel if your PPL/CPL was suspended by CASA, because you got busted for going to an illegal fly in, in the bush and someone dobbed in all the attendees?

What the VRC does with its set of rules is the VRC business. You would have to ask them why they applied a suspension.

If you do something illegal in CASA's airpsace and CASA find out about it whether directly or though a complaint or though a revelation, there are provisions to suspend your licence, so nothing new there.

• Agree 2

Sporting codes have been granted many exemptions in order to keep them operating. Horse racing operates under certain agreements to allow them to move horses and personnel. If employees threaten to bring down the industry by breaking the rules then they are busted. No bullshit double jeopardy reasons accepted. With rights come responsibilities.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

IF my PPL or RPC was suspended, I would just fly under the radar and I bet a whole lot of others would, too.  A CPL is a different deal.

Does CASA alert every airfield in the country of your suspension? 

A breach of a Covid health directive has no bearing on your ability to fly, medically or otherwise.   And, would the RAA want to weigh in on this, too?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And so a politician gets done and fined, then quarantined……do they lose pay.

Is a Health Directive breach suspension contained in AFL, VRC player/rider contracts, that would would be interesting.  If so, that information should be contained in any media release. That goes someway towards justifying the punishment as a breach of contract?

• Like 1

Bruce, it might be "your" airspace - but CASA set the rules and regulations for using it. Sort of like saying, "I paid for this highway, I'm going to do what I like on it". See how far you get with that attitude.

• Agree 1

Breach the road rules, you get fined or lose licence.  IF you get caught breaching lockdown on a highway, you get fined for breaking a health directive but as I said before, do you get your licence to drive suspended?  

14 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Turbs, I really object to the term " CASA's airspace " . As a citizen of Australia, it is MY airspace.

Your airspace is under 300 feet, although some of that is now controlled too.

The rest is designated by regulation and CASA is required to ensure safety, so in that context it's CASA airspace.

You fly your Jabiru only by exemption from some safety rules because of where RA operate, light weight and low stall speed etc.

54 minutes ago, jackc said:

IF my PPL or RPC was suspended, I would just fly under the radar and I bet a whole lot of others would, too.  A CPL is a different deal.

When you post ridiculous stuff like that you bring RA into disrepute.  There was a case a few years ago of someone doing just that. It resulted in an audit of every RA aircraft in Australia and as a result of that audit there were aircraft that never flew again. You've said this several times, and none of us want to go there.

Does CASA alert every airfield in the country of your suspension? 

Check the historical data and see who got caught and see what it cost them.

A breach of a Covid health directive has no bearing on your ability to fly, medically or otherwise.   And, would the RAA want to weigh in on this, too?

You're trying to link a Police fine to a CASA sanction to a possible RAA sanction. That wasn't done in the jockey incident, and not likely to happen so why try to invent something?

We are a nation of dobbers, always have been! There wouldn't be a person amongst these forums who hasn't broken some law sometime! We are all hypocrites & the corrupt Govt/s are the worst!

There's an old saying you rob a bank for $1 or a$1000000 you are still a bank robber!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, red750 said:

There was another one of those in the US.

Daniel Andrews went into a lot of detail today about the pathway to get back to a more normal life without lockdownsand after the press had asked many questions about the plan for the States to come out of lockdowns at 80% vaccination or whatever is decided.

He put it this way:

"At the present time we're locking down to prevent our hospitals being overrun by Covid cases.When we reach about 80%, the hospitals will no longer be in a position where they are overrun, because there will only be a small pool of unvaccinated people left.

We will then move to a much smaller Pandemic of the unvaccinated  where no matter what happens we will have enough hospital capacity to treat the people who get sick."

8 minutes ago, red750 said:

Well he was from Texas which is full of conspiracists, anti vaxers and retrumplicans so his unfortunate fate will be ignored by most of them.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, there is a large number, including a few on this forum I could name, who think, "Slap a band-aid on it, she'll be right." Regrettably, they won't learn from the mistakes of others.

• Haha 1

If l could find a large farm to fly at, l would certainly fly without CASA?

Casa like the Tax office has far too much power, just for a government department.

And it would be of no advantage to rejoin RAA, as they would say one thing only,

Put a foot wrong & we,ll throw the book at you !.

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

27 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

When you post ridiculous stuff like that you bring RA into disrepute.  There was a case a few years ago of someone doing just that. It resulted in an audit of every RA aircraft in Australia and as a result of that audit there were aircraft that never flew again. You've said this several times, and none of us want to go there.

You're trying to link a Police fine to a CASA sanction to a possible RAA sanction. That wasn't done in the jockey incident, and not likely to happen so why try to invent something?

It’s not the fine so much, it’s the breach…….well, give it time and I am sure there will be more examples.

34 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

43 years ago, I was done on 3 breaches of the the Wireless Telegraphy Act, and 1 breach of the Commonwealth Crimes Act 1914.  Both Federal Acts, I defended myself in court and won on a technicality in respect of the Crimes Act charge and the magistrate dismissed the other 3 charges.  I was a CB Radio pirate of note and they chased me from WA to Qld and they still lost 🙂  

CB Radio was licenced not long after……so maybe my offending was a small help in that happening!  Sometimes lawbreaking on a large scale can help, as many people ended up in the same boat as me 🙂. To CASA and RAA maybe they should look closely at where they are taking Aviation?

• Like 1