Introducing the C150 Aerobat (half a century back)

Garfly

They don't make films - or hair helmets - like that any more (something to be thankful for).

Too bad they abandoned the Aerobat, though, that would still be modern.   

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 6

Having learned to fly in one, I can vouch for their toughness too, although the door had a tendency to pop open, and you were literally rubbing shoulders with the instructor. 

19 hours ago, rgmwa said:

Having learned to fly in one, I can vouch for their toughness too, although the door had a tendency to pop open, and you were literally rubbing shoulders with the instructor. 

Pilots were narrower back when the 150 was designed. Standard pilot weight for design was 77 kg for many years. They conceded a little with the bowed doors in 1967 to give extra elbow room.

The structural integrity, flying qualities, reliable engines and LAME maintenance means a good 45year old C150/152 is worth 40-80k aussie dollars today. They first flew 64 years ago. Fifth most produced aircraft.  

• Agree 1

That is a lot of fun to watch.  My TIF was in a 152, and I remember being taken aback at how flimsy it seemed - and how cramped!  But it didn't stop me - went on to log quite a few hours in the 152s before graduating to the 172s, and others.  This was in the 1980s.  Heady days.

• Informative 1

On 24/02/2022 at 11:35 PM, rgmwa said:

yes indeed, much tighter on shoulder space than a Jab. Nice planes tho.

• Informative 1

I'll bet she put on the high heels after getting out of the cockpit. We had an Aerobat 152 & a couple of standard 152s as trainers at our aeroclub up till the 1990s. The Aerobat seemed a lot heavier than the 16 pounds mentioned by the salesman. It was pretty gutless 2 up with a very slow climb rate. I never did Aeros in it but plenty of our members did all their aerobatic training in it. You needed a good dive to perform a loop. The 150/152s were real cosy 2 up. 2 big blokes would not fit.

Edited by kgwilson

Fond memories of flying 152’s with the Durban Wings Club, Virginia Airport, Nadal South Africa, during high school holidays. Every minute was like gold! One incident, stuck my head a bit too far out the open window, and my sunnies got whipped off, to disappear in the sugar cane fields far below….hopefully found one day by a lucky cane cutter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1