Crash at Caiguna today 16/12/22.

29 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

...  However, the word "should" is defined as "used to indicate obligation, duty or correctness" // 

... So if you're at the wrong level and there's an accident and someone sues you

good luck with insurance and a defence against a duty of care breach.

With a little bit of luck, a man can duck  

(or, failing that, get a good dictionary.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garfly said:

Low level circuits are part of the RAAus (and CASA) training syllabus so they should be trained for, and practised, at airports, as they are, in fact, every day.

Yep, Part 91.267 with MOS 13.02 specifically addresses this.

• Like 1

ABC Justin is reporting the pilots details and other details.

• Michael Hebbard, 43, of Perth, was killed in a light plane crash on the Nullarbor on December 16
  • The crash occurred shortly after take-off from the remote Caiguna airstrip and was reported about 9:30am
  • WA Police will prepare a report for the Coroner
Edited by tillmanr
Further information
  • Informative 3

The North East end of the strip is some 800 metres from the Roadhouse which seems to indicate that he took off to the North East given the report states the crash site was approximately 500 metres from the Roadhouse. The South West end of the strip is 2 km from the Roadhouse. If that is the case then he took off in the best direction for a forced landing. It seems to me that if there was a lack of power he was unable to get the aircraft to climb and then collided with terrain, most likely hitting trees and scrub.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Sad to read that report and see his photos. It puts a face and a family to the tragedy.

Also RAAus sent out an email about it confirming it was a Jabiru SK.

I was told the two Jabiru’s could not use the runway that morning, because it rained heavily that night and it was unusable. Traffic on the highway was stopped and they used the road as a makeshift runway. So the actual crash site will be north of the road and the roadhouse.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

9 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Now we have reports of it being a Cessna and back to the airport  as the place it took off from  Pictures of the family etc . Pretty crass.  Nev

You sure you looked at the correct link which referred to a Jabiru?

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

NOW means later. Of course I've read everything as it becomes available. I don't suggest/ infer  THAT report reference is credible anywhere.. In fact the dead opposite.   Nev 

Click on OME's ABC link in the post before your last one. Click where it says "Continue reading" or you'll be scrolling through other stories.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, facthunter said:

How about you stop controlling the way I post. I'm over 21.  Nev

I'm not sure; you're referring to a Cessna and back to the airport when the latest information is the two aircraft took off into wind, both Jabirus and he came down in the clear area. No turns, no Cessnas.

It's a very recent  thing in a widely read but usually not by me, source From ABC to SKY.  I never presented it as fact. I've already said that and you obviously don't want to  let it go. I can do without this crap .  Nev

• Agree 1

Nev,  the ABC is the most reliable reporter of news events. All others are commercial sites driven by monetary gain, and accuracy in the news comes last.

If you are seeing reports of a Cessna crash, you are looking at initial news articles from last Friday that had little accuracy, just guesswork and fabricated news. Many of the "news" articles are undated.

On the ABC site, the older articles are at the bottom. The report of the aircraft being a Cessna originally came from initial identification by the W.A. Police on Friday morning. A lot of police officers don't have any aviation knowledge.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-20/pilot-in-nullarbor-crash-identified-as-43-year-old-perth-father/101793432

• Helpful 1

Pictures of the family etc have only been seen on the LATEST reports and that's what led me to it. I try to get the LATEST. IF it was linked for me it will be for others..The last thing I want to see is errors  in a matter such as this is.  I NEVER trust SKY.  Nev

• Informative 1

Copy and paste from my post above::  

"....when he crashed an amateur-built Jabiru recreational plane at Caiguna,"

When you click on the 'continue reading' button, it goes on to discuss the RAAus case against ATSB. The video below the article relates to a different accident.

Copied and Pasted from, ABC online news report!

Although police described the aircraft as a Cessna, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau identified it as an amateur-built Jabiru recreational plane.

The aircraft was registered with Recreation Aviation Australia, which says it has offered to provide technical support to police during its investigation.

Copied and pasted from my post on the Caiguna accident:

Recreational Aviation Australia (RAA) criticised the move*, saying it wrote to the Minister for Transport Catherine King in November raising concerns about the ATSB's inability to conduct investigations due to limited funding.

"We have seen at least five fatal accidents in the past 12 months and many in the years prior where the ATSB has chosen to not investigate," RAA chief executive Matt Bouttell wrote in the letter.

"This equates to a significant cost to the Australian people through awaiting State Coroners to arrive at findings that often result in diminished safety outcomes due to a lack of subject matter expertise during the investigation and evidence-gathering phase.

"Moreover, Australian families are effectively forbidden from obtaining closure due to those deficient outcomes."

Mr Boutell told the ABC that RAA has provided police with technical support in the past, but it has no legislative powers to conduct fatal accident investigations.

"We have previously provided police with on-site support at accidents, including performing analysis around the circumstances of the accident however, in recent times it's become clear that due to the lack of legislative protections, we cannot keep 'propping up' the ATSB by doing so," he said.

"We have therefore said enough is enough, and that the Government should fund the ATSB for the purpose it is established for." 

* ATSB failure to investigate fatal recreational accidents.