Crash at Caiguna today 16/12/22.

Just heard that a ‘light plane crashed at Caiguna this morning.  Don’t know any details or if anyone was injured but police are going to attend. Yesterday two Jabirus (a 55 and a J160) landed at Caiguna. The 55 had a list of woes, including main earth cable to engine sawn apart by flywheel, prop had lost 15cm of fibreglass sheathing on one one blade (the tip), and a substantial oil leak on the starboard side enough to oil up the windscreen.   It was a ferrying job west to east. This morning wind was 20kts with a large cross wind component and early in the morning it was raining.  I’m assuming the crash was most probably one of these aircraft.  The strip is 1300m x 30m and just been refurbished.

• Informative 2

57 minutes ago, Markdun said:

Just heard that a ‘light plane crashed at Caiguna this morning.  Don’t know any details or if anyone was injured but police are going to attend. Yesterday two Jabirus (a 55 and a J160) landed at Caiguna. The 55 had a list of woes, including main earth cable to engine sawn apart by flywheel, prop had lost 15cm of fibreglass sheathing on one one blade (the tip), and a substantial oil leak on the starboard side enough to oil up the windscreen.   It was a ferrying job west to east. This morning wind was 20kts with a large cross wind component and early in the morning it was raining.  I’m assuming the crash was most probably one of these aircraft.  The strip is 1300m x 30m and just been refurbished.

Not good and bit different to usual incidents / accidents.  Hope crew are well.

35 minutes ago, Markdun said:

ABC says a fatality. Do I post the 3 pics I have of the engine when it was at Caiguna yesterday?

I would not, but offer to Police investigator and RAAUS  tech if one of theirs.  Up to you though.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Markdun said:

Just heard that a ‘light plane crashed at Caiguna this morning.

Markdun, On 23 June 2023, "today" will be 23 June 2023, not 16 Dec 2022. Use the date in subject headings so someone reading it in the future will not think the accident occurred that day. I have corrected the heading. (Moderator).

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

4 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

Cessna 206. Pilot got out with minor head scratches.

no other details at present

If you're going to post precise details of an aircraft crash, I'd suggest you cross-check your sources, and be sure your information is accurate.

Markdun - I appreciate the problems in trying to get to the truth behind aircraft crashes, when the sensation-seeking media is deeply involved, and only interested in the shock/horror angle that brings in revenue.

However, I find it difficult to understand how the injury report went from "minor head scratches", to a fatality. This is reporting at its worst.

This is someones husband, brother or son that has been killed, so rushing in with inaccurate information before official authority on the ground, or someone reliable like the ABC, produces the actual crash result, can be upsetting to any close relatives.

This site receive prompt global exposure, and Google produces results from this site rapidly, so accurate crash information is pretty essential, I would've thought. The remoteness of the location means the official information is slow to get out.

7 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

ATSB will apparently not investigate - here we go again.

We're not going anywhere again; ATSB does not investigate RA accidents, except in a very few exceptional circumstances.

If you care to read the recent discussion, you'll see how the process works for the Self Administering Organisations like RAA>

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Markdun said:

ABC says a fatality. Do I post the 3 pics I have of the engine when it was at Caiguna yesterday?

I would like to see the pictures. I would also think there is a benefit in the conversation that will accompany them. 

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, trailer said:

I would like to see the pictures. I would also think there is a benefit in the conversation that will accompany them. 

If you go to this link you will see the process. This fatality will be handled by Police for the Coroner. Any photos should be sent to local Police; there may even be an obligation to hand over evidence, which they are.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

From the initial description of the faults with the Jabiru LSA-55 it sounds like prior maintenance had been lacking. Delaminating wooden props has been an issue for many years but there are usually signs which should be picked up during inspections & if any of the sheathing is missing it should be grounded immediately. The imbalance will eventually shake the thing to bits under power.

The LSA-55 was Jabirus first aircraft beginning production in 1991 originally with a KFM 60 HP engine.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

44 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

From the initial description of the faults with the Jabiru LSA-55 it sounds like prior maintenance had been lacking. Delaminating wooden props has been an issue for many years but there are usually signs which should be picked up during inspections & if any of the sheathing is missing it should be grounded immediately. The imbalance will eventually shake the thing to bits under power.

The LSA-55 was Jabirus first aircraft beginning production in 1991 originally with a KFM 60 HP engine.

Mine is the first production 55 . The kfm was swapped to rotax ul

There is nothing much to see from the pictures, except I can make  a sweeping general statement, without qualification, that it looks like the  general condition was a bit rough, perhaps spent alot of its life stored outside.  

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1