RAA…..is it me?

F10

Each to their own Derek, and good news you can keep your medical. 

I think that the level of misinformation that’s out there, such as the RAA owning a unit block, does keep people away and unfortunately that’s the intention of many. 

The way I look at it is VH vs RAA is like Holden vs Ford. It’s often an emotive argument that’s not based on facts. Yes RAA charge fees but I know when I call them to discuss anything about my aircraft or pilot stuff, I get a pleasant person on the other end of the phone (immediately) who wants to help. They return calls, and basically give me the service I’m happy to pay for. Not to mention more than $1500 in insurance as part of the membership fee. I n comparison, I called CASA about trying to find a weight control authority about 6 months ago, when someone was going to call me back. I’m still waiting…. And thankfully I managed to resolve the issue myself. CASA have got a big job to do and dont have the number of people it needs and that’s reflected in their lack of service, much the same as any other govt department you try calling. 

Anyway, it’s a choice and like I said, glad to hear you’re still flying because in the end, that’s what it’s all about. 

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Flying_higher said:

I think that the level of misinformation that’s out there, such as the RAA owning a unit block, does keep people away and unfortunately that’s the intention of many. 

The way I look at it is VH vs RAA is like Holden vs Ford. It’s often an emotive argument that’s not based on facts. Yes RAA charge fees but I know when I call them to discuss anything about my aircraft or pilot stuff, I get a pleasant person on the other end of the phone (immediately) who wants to help. They return calls, and basically give me the service I’m happy to pay for. Not to mention more than $1500 in insurance as part of the membership fee. I n comparison, I called CASA about trying to find a weight control authority about 6 months ago, when someone was going to call me back. I’m still waiting…. And thankfully I managed to resolve the issue myself. CASA have got a big job to do and dont have the number of people it needs and that’s reflected in their lack of service, much the same as any other govt department you try calling. 

Anyway, it’s a choice and like I said, glad to hear you’re still flying because in the end, that’s what it’s all about. 

Two different entities:

CASA aren't there to service you. You operate under prescriptive regulations, pretty much the same way as you operate your car or boat. CASA oversight the safety part.

RAA is a self administering body providing you a flying servive for a fee.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yes, two different entities. 
and CASA are there to serve us. A simple look at their webpage shows that they have a ‘client services centre’ and a ‘guidance centre’. That certainly sounds like service to me. 

as far as the prescriptive rules are concerned, the regs are actually outcome based but RAA decides how they will meet them (for those that are applicable) then incorporate them into their manuals for CASA to approve. Much the same as an applicant for an AOC such as a flight school or airline. 

and yes, you pay RAAus a membership fee, but you’ll pay CASA $160/hr for them to even look at most applications, and they must charge that by law. Try and apply for an MA or seek airworthiness advice then you’ll feel the full brunt of their fees. I guess the value for me in the RAA is that it’s a one in all in approach. We all want basically the same rules therefore why not come together under a single umbrella like the RAA to do so. It’s exactly the same as the glidering fed or HGFA. IMHO it works just great as I don’t need to deal with the government 🙂

I’m not having a go at CASA or defending RAAus, this is just explaining the facts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

21 minutes ago, Flying_higher said:

Yes, two different entities. 
and CASA are there to serve us. A simple look at their webpage shows that they have a ‘client services centre’ and a ‘guidance centre’. That certainly sounds like service to me. 

"client" is the woke name which replaces "inmates" etc., not something to put your life on.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Flying_higher said:

i do agree about raa customer service, they are great to deal with and always answer the phone promptly which is rare these days.

• Informative 2

9 hours ago, kgwilson said:

I just paid my annual membership & it is $285.00. Part of this is the $20,000,000.00 public liability insurance you get along with $250,000.00 for your passenger. Try taking this out as an individual and the cost is likely to be $1,000,00 to $1,300.00. We have to take out 20 mil PL insurance for our aerodrome & 10 mil for each hangar and the annual cost is $515.00 per hangar owner.

Lucky you got in before the latest price rise. 

Annually now for me with a single seat and a two seat thruster is $889.  Getting up there.

Membership           $325

Single seat aircraft $215

Two seat aircraft    $349

I don't see what the on going cost is to RAAus with aircraft. The "insurance" is on the pilot member not the aircraft.  

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, onetrack said:

The average car costs $700-$900 annually in rego and CTP charges, in most States today, I don't see what anyone's got to complain about, as regards RA-Aus charges.

It's 560 P/a with 1 aircraft 2 seat. But some people are paying reg on 2 or 3 aircraft which might only be worth 20 K combined. It's getting expensive for people with limited income and basic ultralights. Not everyone has a 150k plane that cruises at 120 knots.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

A TV repairman committed suicide many years ago after a TV station did one of those phony repair exposed shows.

‘’Trouble was that the TV repairman diligently went through an expensive fault finding process before discovering. the “ten cent blown fuse” - and charged according to his time as he should, only to get abused by 60 minutes or whoever.

Translation:

Stop confusing the apparent minimal nature of the change with the cost of the process to determine its safety and pay up. 

If you don’t think that’s right, then go buy your aircraft fasteners at Bunnings, after all, according. to you, a 1/4 inch bolt is a 1/4 inch bolt isn’t it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walrus said:

A TV repairman committed suicide many years ago after a TV station did one of those phony repair exposed shows.

‘’Trouble was that the TV repairman diligently went through an expensive fault finding process before discovering. the “ten cent blown fuse” - and charged according to his time as he should, only to get abused by 60 minutes or whoever.

Translation:

Stop confusing the apparent minimal nature of the change with the cost of the process to determine its safety and pay up. 

If you don’t think that’s right, then go buy your aircraft fasteners at Bunnings, after all, according. to you, a 1/4 inch bolt is a 1/4 inch bolt isn’t it?

Do you have any aircraft registered with raaus

15 hours ago, Flying_higher said:

Taking a look at their fees, those rego fees aren’t right anyway. They are for initial rego, not renewal. 

You are right, it is only $710 for a single and a two seat thruster per annum. I feel better now. 

• Haha 1

On 16/07/2023 at 10:08 AM, kgwilson said:

We have to take out 20 mil PL insurance for our aerodrome & 10 mil for each hangar and the annual cost is $515.00 per hangar owner.

Is that separate hangars on their own blocks, or a group of hangars in a row? My yearly cost is double that. 

• Informative 1

There are 23 privately owned separate hangars and each subleases the land it sits on from the Hangar Owners Association which leases the whole aerodrome from Crown Lands.

• Informative 2