Stolen Skyecho2

On 17/09/2023 at 9:49 AM, kgwilson said:

The hexadecimal code provided by CASA is linked to the serial number of the SE2 so if the robber tries to use it it can be tracked. They cannot get another code for it and by deleting the code it will not work so it will be completely useless to the robber. You should report it stolen to CASA.

Both the Hex code and rego can be changed in the SkyEcho and should follow the codes in the transponder (hex Code) and the plane rego. If there is no transponder in the plane you use a Hex code supplied by CASA and the plane rego (XYZ or R1234). The SkyEcho serial number is unique and police, CASA or EBay might help.

I use mine on a variety of planes and change the transponder/rego codes or the CASA Hex/rego as required.  I once forgot to change and my friends friends were asking why he had flown to Cessnock when in fact he was down at Griffith.😘

Windows was of No use ! , without that little " Dos " program. 

DISK OPERATING SYSTEM. 

Invented by a couple of young students. 

It enabled the release of having two ' floppies ' doing the ' memory work .

Simple " Basic " language. 

spacesailor

21 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Windows was of No use ! , without that little " Dos " program. 

DISK OPERATING SYSTEM. 

Invented by a couple of young students. 

It enabled the release of having two ' floppies ' doing the ' memory work .

Simple " Basic " language. 

spacesailor

..and purchased by a very canny young chap called Bill Gates.....shortly before IBM cobbled together their first Personal Computer out of existing bits and pieces and went looking for a suitable Disk Operating System....which young Bill agreed to license to them as MS-DOS.

And every other clone maker since then.

Which is to say that for every computer on the face of the earth running MS-DOS and/or Windows, a licensing fee has been paid to Microsoft.

• Informative 1

22 hours ago, IBob said:

..and purchased by a very canny young chap called Bill Gates.....shortly before IBM cobbled together their first Personal Computer out of existing bits and pieces and went looking for a suitable Disk Operating System....which young Bill agreed to license to them as MS-DOS.

And every other clone maker since then.

Which is to say that for every computer on the face of the earth running MS-DOS and/or Windows, a licensing fee has been paid to Microsoft.

And MS-DOS / PC-DOS was built on the framework of (one might more correctly say copied from) the 8 bit operating system called CP/M, which ran on 8080 or Z80 cpus - dual floppy support, and command structure which MS-DOS/PC-DOS copied.

I built my first commercial system using CP/M running dBASE II, on an Osborne dual floppy machine, and later used Kaypro computers, which were not quite as glacial as the Osborne, and had a better screen. Ahh, they were the days.

Edited by horsefeathers
  • Informative 2

5 hours ago, horsefeathers said:

I built my first commercial system using CP/M running dBASE II, on an Osborne dual floppy machine, and later used Kaypro computers, which were not quite as glacial as the Osborne, and had a better screen. Ahh, they were the days.

I used to develop software on an hp machine with one floppy drive. The disks were too small to fit the editor, assembler and the source code, so I had to have two disks, one with the editor and the source, then copy the source over to the other disk which had the assembler to compile it. Slow, fiddly and error prone. Definitely not the good old days… 🫣😁

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 29/09/2023 at 6:26 AM, horsefeathers said:

I had a Kaypro, which was a pretty good computer for its day. Compact, but luggable rather than portable. I spent a lot of time writing engineering software back in those days.

image.png.8d23ef120630686209c40e0d18e00324.png

• Like 1

System Details. The Freeman PC Museum... Largest Collection of Vintage ...I had an early Mitsubishi 'laptop' that I would class as luggable: note carrying handle across front that slid out some for lugging. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse, had every interface then known to man, had been dropped, bought 2nd hand for $500. I repaired the chassis and case and made a living writing and commissioning PLC programs.

I remember the HP9825. We had one in the office as well but I think only one senior engineer was trained to use it. 

My start in programming began with one of these:

image.png.83f7787561cef6c1e895de90830bd721.png

How the times have changed.

18 minutes ago, IBob said:

We'll be getting the slipsticks out shortly......)

I reckon this is better. My first proper calculator AFTER the slip stick. Used with 7 figure logs and trig tables for survey calculations.

Picture 1 of 17

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, facthunter said:

But I'll make an  effort. Why are we still talking under the heading  of a "STOLEN " anything when it wasn't?   Nev

When time is stolen it flies…..Joan Baez

• Haha 2