Guess The Airstrip

Happy guessing.......Sean.

(taken thru a tinted window but the water was just a blue in real life)[ATTACH=full]39708[/ATTACH]

Norfolk Island..Wasn't sealed when I went there. Grass over coral. mid to late 60's

PS I was informed it was Coral used for a base material. The water gets pretty deep around Norfolk..Nev

[ATTACH=full]40177[/ATTACH]I landed here to visit a client staying in the community you can just make out in the green patch near the top, mid-left of the photo. The buildings in the foreground are a boarding school and the airstrip was put in to give them an emergency evacuation capacity.

This was the most exciting "outreach" I have done as a lawyer because there had been quite a bit of rain and the red clay of the narrow landing area was very greasy.

The dark vegetation line running left to right across the image is the Bogan River.

Kaz

Anymore clues Kaz , I'm starting to lose sleep over this !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No guesses re parallel grass strips in post #690? (Image from Google Earth).

The hills remind me of Alice Springs, but nothing in the foreground does.

Cheers, Willie.

As I stated in post #692, the image is from Google Earth. These images are a mosaic of many frames, not necessarily taken together. The adjoining frames may have been taken on different days, with different lighting.

Google Earth recently upgraded from two angles of slant to constantly variable. These images are rendered a little like the scenery in Flight Simulator software. Take a look at a location near you in Google Earth. Click on 3D in the lower right. Place the cursor in the lower centre of the image, hold down the Ctrl key and move the mouse around to see the various angles of view. To rotate the north/south alignment, click on the arrows in the compass icon. Place the cursor in the top centre of the image when slanted, hold down the right mouse button and drag down. Effect is similar to simulator flying. You will see the image rendering panel by panel as the data is downloaded.

3D views in the US are even more impressive. Take a look at the image in my thread Stored Hueys. The images scanning around that airport were so accurate you could see which light aircraft had sunshades over the windscreen. Ain't technology great?

• Helpful 1

I won't ask you to guess this airport, it's Oshkosh. These images show how the world is presented in Google Earth 3D in the States.

1545314001_Oshkosh1.jpg.6c8e193da5109b772bf32586164b04cf.jpg

235368289_Oshkosh2.jpg.875688ae69598e9fc72df2665031df2b.jpg

• 2 months later...