Tell us about your last flight

Admin

The Ignorant just Don,t leave a message after taking the trouble to phone you.

SO you have to guess who was that dickhead ?.

OR 

Just delete the missed call number.

spacesailor

Hmm... Holy thread drift, Batman!

On 14/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Old Koreelah said:

if they overcater, lots of food is wasted

This would be a drop in the bucket compared with the operating costs of many of these aircraft to fly to this breakfast and return home.

Gatton Air Park is located on the outskirts of Gatton. There is a Coles, an Aldi and a Super IGA a 5 minute drive or less from this airfield. There is no reason that someone couldn't have done a run into town before the food ran out altogether.

Last month at the Murgon Fly-in Breakfast, at the cooking end, we ran low on food twice and the club secretary made two trips to the Super IGA in town for more food. At the serving end, we never stopped serving and the punters never noticed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Possum1 said:

Hmm... Holy thread drift, Batman!

This would be a drop in the bucket compared with the operating costs of many of these aircraft to fly to this breakfast and return home.

Gatton Air Park is located on the outskirts of Gatton. There is a Coles, an Aldi and a Super IGA a 5 minute drive or less from this airfield. There is no reason that someone couldn't have done a run into town before the food ran out altogether.

Last month at the Murgon Fly-in Breakfast, at the cooking end, we ran low on food twice and the club secretary made two trips to the Super IGA in town for more food. At the serving end, we never stopped serving and the punters never noticed.

Well done those clubs! Others like ours are far from town and supplies.

Our catering person always advertises for RSVPs so she has some idea of how many people are expected, but few pilots ever actually let her know. 
Another aspect is the hours the cook must keep. We sometimes get an influx of aircraft long after the gas has been turned off, just when the cook is finally sitting down for his own meal.

• Agree 1

Hi All. I did a nice little flight from Corowa NSW to Mount Beauty Vic via Wangaratta about a week ago in the Sonex Xenos, so I took the opportunity to try out the 360 camera to capture the flight and I put the result on YouTube. We had a bit of an impromptu morning tea with some of the Mt Beauty crew and had a diverse range of aircraft turn up from around the region (eg. Tumut, Wang, Benalla, Corowa and some private airfields). The video runs for about 15mins - and no the Xenos isn't that fast (I wish!) - I have sped up the video in sections. Good for a watch while chilling out with your favourite bevvy. Cheers Lawrie

https://youtu.be/QSyP-Ut0XiU

• Like 4

Good and smokey in the Top End with everybody now burning. Yesterday I flew home from Darwin through smoke so thick that at times its hard to see the ground...luckily the smoke is trapped by an inversion at about 3500. Clear skies above.

Probably shouldn't have flown but I was suffering from get-there-itus, because I was scheduled to do some burning around my own property!

I passed a fire front overhead at about 3000  and felt a distinct kick upwards.. Gotta admire the courage of those mad bastards who fly fire fighting missions just above the flames!

Alan 

20210515_170017.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NT5224 said:

... Gotta admire the courage of those mad bastards who fly fire fighting missions just above the flames!

Too plurry right, Alan! 
A water bomber pilot reported that heavy turbulence caused chaffing from his harness.

3 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Too plurry right, Alan! 
A water bomber pilot reported that heavy turbulence caused chaffing from his harness.

Why, did his harness see him doing something embarrassing?

• 2 weeks later...

Flew down to Apollo Bay for the weekend. 90 minutes from home airfield.

Great spot, plenty of accomodation choices. Airfield is 30 miniute walk to centre of town.

Plenty of sight seeing to do, Cape Otway, Twelve Apostles etc.

Resized_20210523_122807.jpg

• Like 9

We went to the Mother's day brekky fly in at Gatton.

I commented on their lack of organisation before so I won't get into that again.

This flight was the first one with a new GPS recorder I designed and built, based on an Arduino. It stores the autopilot data sent out of the GPS's serial port. I then use that data to create info overlays in a 3D graphics program called Blender. Then I bundle it all up in my editing program, Davinci. All the software is free to download. I will be making a series of videos in the future about how I did this.

In the mean time, have a butcher's hook at the end results and give me your feedback.

Was it worth the effort?

• Like 6

Dubbo back to Broken Hill and a look at a rarely wet flood plain South East of Wilcannia getting a bit of a drink after recent flows down the Darling. From 4500'.

20210531_155242[1].jpg

Edited by waraton
  • Like 6
  • Informative 1

Hi Folks!

Before brekkie on Sunday we popped across to the block next door to ours...

It seems crazy but after ten years living and flying here we've never dropped into Fenton        -despite overflying it constantly.

During the war Fenton was first a B17 then a B24 base. It was target of several Japanese air raids.

Despite smokey conditions across the Top End and Operation 'Arnhem Thunder' war games (squadrons of F 35s buzzing overhead!) we put bacon and eggs on hold.

We push out the bird, preflight and set off. Its just a few minutes flight/hop  from our house to Fenton. I do three low passes across the strip to scatter  mobs of cattle and kangeroos and check which sections look Ok for landing. I don't need the whole length not being a Liberator at full MTOW!

I could almost land across the runway width!

We park up and have a walk about checking out all the old dispersal bays. Its a lovely spot, utterly deserted now but there were heritage photos of John Wayne and Cary Grant performing to a packed audience in an outdoor theatre. Dont know what impresses me more, the idea of so many people out there in the wilderness or the fact that John Wayne and Cary Grant once visited next door to our place!

Short flight home through smokey conditions and then those eggs and bacon and lashings of tea...

Great start to the day!

Early departureP01(1).thumb.JPG.c6280767a56381142a4144cdb5fbd0b1.JPGHopping over to Fentonp04.thumb.JPG.0445fefd81b34f84e22adede1ba59654.JPGScattering  the stock

p06(1).thumb.JPG.ecac7e64305424f6593ba9f23b883303.JPG

Heritage sign

p07.thumb.JPG.e42c332ce7efb02679562f8bd3b89cb1.JPGB24 tail section?

p09.thumb.JPG.e00303b3a7c8c504b9905897c05ada1f.JPGHopping across the ridge back homep16.thumb.JPG.28c8fb3bb05fb574634eb27cc59d0246.JPGArrived  back -our home stripp19(1).thumb.JPG.943556cd4615686cc42d69b0ad0c5d8e.JPG

Alan

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

This morning Quirindi Aero Club had a long-planned Open Day to shake a few would-be flyers out of the undergrowth. A small investment in radio and newspaper advertising brought several new faces to our monthly BBQ breakfast. Visitors got to talk to pilots and inspect the variety of aircraft that had flown in. Several also went up for a TIF around the district. We had three instructors in attendance, flying a Sting, a Tecnam and a Cavalon gyro.

In the crisp morning air the heated seats of the Cavalon and Sting were a big hit.  It looked like aviators are becoming soft, but this was offset by a hardy young bloke arriving in an unfaired, open gyro after flying an hour from the west. He wouldn’t let go of his hot cuppa.

At first light I flew east to video the snow on the hills behind Wallabadah; my dodgy efforts are below. Meanwhile another member did a much better job of capturing

the snow-covered Liverpool Range to our south.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

OK: Great footage of the snow and not too shaky IMO, but do you ever clean your windscreen? Looked like some mega bird plop on there!

My windscreen is overdue for replacement, but the other bloke flies from his black soil strip. Other members were grounded by the recent rain, but he has big wheels; quite a bit of his farm ends up stuck to his plane.

Flight yesterday saw a stop in at White Cliffs where we went to the pub for lunch. Matt from the pub is only too happy to organise a pickup or drop off or both from the airfield if you phone the pub. He rekons there is enough to do if you you have a couple of days to spare.

VideoCapture_20210622-222515.jpg

This was lunch !

VideoCapture_20210623-160838 (2).jpg

The town has two main residential areas where residences are dug into the hills.

VideoCapture_20210623-160942 (2).jpg

Bit hard to see here but hundreds of mine shafts very close to each other. Apparently there are around 10 active mines still in operation digging up opals. 

Edited by waraton
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

All good plans can turn to Sh!t just as ours have, but we are making the most of what we have.

6 months back the planning started for an outback adventure with some friends who haven’t really been too far from home in their planes.

Planned to fly from West Sale to SwanHill- Broken Hill - Coober Pedy - Innamincka - Thargomindah - Longreach - Charleville- Dubbo - Temora - Echuca - Stawell then back home over 14 days so booked accommodation and car hire.

Then!!!!! 3 weeks before departure good old Vic goes in to 1 week lockdown so SA & Qld close the borders to us Mexicans, hmmm wait a week then call a meeting and decide to cancel all SA & Qld booking I made.

Hmm NSW still open so book SwanHill,  BH, White Cliffs, Comeroo Camel station, Dubbo, Temora and Stawell including car hire at BH & Dubbo.

All going well day of departure other than the crappy weather up until lunchtime of Saturday 26th of June.

Finally get away at midday and make SwanHill for the night and get offered  a car from a great bloke by the name of Cliff Banks who runs the Sunraysia flying school for us to get around during our over night stay. (What a champion you are Cliff).

Morning of departure to Broken Hill greets us with the news of regional NSW declared an orange zone (what the F**k!!!!).

Hmmm, can still go in but need to get tested when we get back but if it goes to red we have to isolate for 14 days (not happening Jan)

Right, on the phone cancelling all accommodation and car bookings in NSW and nutting out where we can go in Vic and once again booking accommodation and car hire, so come up with SwanHill 3 nights now (thanks again Cliff for the car for the last 3 days) - Porepunkah 2 nights, Yarrawonga 1 night, Echuca 2 nights, SwanHill again for a night then on to Stawell via the painted silo route for 4 nights  then back home.

Currently in Porepunkah now after flying in today, the group are loving it and it’s now 4 planes 7 people after a mate few up yesterday to meet us with his son at SwanHill after just finishing his Nav training.

Planes are 2 Tecnam Sierra’s, Tecnam Golf and a iS Foxbat A22LS

Video of the landing at beautiful Porepunkah this afternoon.

Cheers Alf

Edited by alf jessup
  • Like 5

On 30/06/2021 at 2:10 PM, Old Koreelah said:

This one wasn’t me, but it was someone’s latest flight:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-57660603

Hey Old Koreelah, 

really enjoyed that!  What an awesome machine.  from an operational perspective it seems way more pratical than some of the earlier designs we have seen (some of which involved the vehicle detaching wings and leaving them at the landing strip. What a great toy!

However, the vehicle must be so lightweight in construction you wouldnt want any kind of a dingle or even a shopping trolley rash on it

However appealing the aircar  idea I cant believe it will ever catch on, except possibly for autonomous controlled  vehicles. Most people just wont be up to getting  the required  pilots licence, and God knows how  urban airspace is going to be  sorted out with all these new drones and autonomous air taxis and such. thank God we live in the bush!!!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 2