Things people say!

farri

I thought we might have a bit of fun ( and possibly learn something ) with the things someone has said, that showed their ignorance, about the aircraft you fly, .

I once had an experienced GA pilot, look at my Drifter and say, " Don`t do any side-slips in that! You`ll rip the tail off!"

Frank.

• Haha 2

I took my son up for a fly once and when I throttled back a bit to orbit a point of interest, he expected the plane to just fall out of the sky. He told me afterward that when I put the engine back to idle to turn base, he was looking for the parachute...!

The Ultralight pilot on Mythbusters TV show, about the myth of an aircraft taking off from a moving conveyor belt. the pilot stated "i dont expect to be able to take off" sure enough, he did.. i cant believe he has a licence.

i have had passengers ask "how do we keep moving when the wheels leave the ground?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A passenger in the back seat of the Drifter asked me in flight, how I could "see" the turbulance 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif!

He assumed I could see the turbulance by the way I was using the controlls! I did explain it all to him after that question!

Frank.

A friend who is a bit of a revhead in cars - about to take a ride in a Pitts Special with one of my old instructors.

"How much power does it have?"

"About 285 horsepower"

"Is that all?"

And then he went for the ride........

• Like 4

40 years ago I took my brother on his first flight and put the aerobatic aircraft into a spiral dive. He told me later that he thought he was going to die, that the situation was not recoverable. He has not flown with me again. I brief passengers now.

The Ultralight pilot on Mythbusters TV show, about the myth of an aircraft taking off from a moving conveyor belt. the pilot stated "i dont expect to be able to take off" sure enough, he did.. i cant believe he has a licence.i have had passengers ask "how do we keep moving when the wheels leave the ground?"

I remember that show. The UL pilot was a bit of a knob jockey I think.

I took a friend up a few years ago and he very seriously asked me why I always flew into the wind????? Gave him a puzzled look, and he said "you always fly against the clouds, why not turn round and fly with them."

I managed to explain while keeping a straight face:oh yeah:

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Whilst experiencing a ride in a Zimango motorized glider. We had departed, got the gear up, and were climbing through 3000' out of Shute Harbour over water, about 8 NM from the airport.

I asked the pilot what we would do now if the engine quit ?........

His reply : "Well, we have been climbing under power at four times the rate that the aircraft descends as a glider, so we just turn around and go back to the airport !!"...........gold..................Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Taking my wife for her first ride, asks "Where's the parachute"......."What do you mean there's no parachute?"..........."There's a parachute in every plane, isn't there?"

The correct answer is, "Just one for the pilot."

• Haha 2
  • Winner 1

It worries me the number of people who say, for spin recovery

power reduced to idle, ailerons should be neutral, rudder should be applied opposite the direction of rotation and, once the rotation has stopped, the elevator should be forward as required to break the stall.

In this case an instructor in this video at 11:47:

for the C172 where the POH clearly states

throttle idle, aileron neutral, apply and hold full rudder opposite to the direction of rotation, just after the rudder reaches the stop, move the control wheel briskly forward far enough to break the stall.....Hold these control inputs until rotation stops.... As rotation stops, neutralize the rudder and make a smooth recovery from the resulting dive.

i.e. PARE to stop the spin.

I get people with spin endorsements and instructors who think it means PAR to stop the spin and E to recover from the dive. Similar to the video for the Warrior at 10:54 he said “you must stop the rotation of the spin through opposite rudder application ..... then reduce angle of attack by applying full forward pressure on the control wheel….” Why doesn't he read the words in the POH as they are written!

After finding the battery flat, I asked my instructor, as innocently as possible, if we could push start the the aircraft. His expression was priceless.dodo

I saw a video once not sure if it was on here or not but it was of some people tow starting an engine by wrapping the tow rope around the spinner, I can't remember the plane or the engine but it was a sight to behold.

Ps it worked